Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 2020 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 12:07 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defender 2020 concerns

Need some input/thoughts on my 2020 110.

Ive had my 110 for almost three years (warranty almost up) and it’s at the shop again… I’ve had rear differential issues three times, coolant tank issues, security system and locks not working as the battery was dying/battery replaced, sound system issues, and squeaky chipmunk sounds coming from the dash area when driving at higher speeds. (Not my first Land Rover so I know the love hate relationship well…)
And my daytime running light has been out since March. I’ve been on waitlist for four months and told it may arrive to dealer next month. (And three other defenders in my city have the same headlight out as well)

*One month ago My battery died/ replaced and differential updated at dealer and car sent home with no issues. All under warranty.

*last week I was driving in 70mph zone on a four-lane highway when the car lost power. It was terrifying with three kids in the car with me. We pulled over safely topping out at 30mph and LR towed vehicle to dealer. I’ve been told it is a faulty crankcase ventilation system. They’ll replace and do system updates… was told ‘no big deal’ and should be good to go. Again.

I love my defender and previously had an LR4 for over 10 years. But I’m wondering what the best next steps are… I’m now worried about safety in addition to reliability. There are so many ‘software updates’ or computer glitches with this car that unsure if the dealerships and those doing the work are all updated.

Has anyone else had this many issues/repeated issues with their 2020? I hate to post this as I love my car, but the frustration is peaking!

Old 08-30-2023, 06:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

We had a coolant leak on our 2021 repaired and I fixed the A-pillar rattle and squeaky dashboard myself. I suspect that being a first year build you have had more issues that JLR fixed in later model years. Our 2023 had a different coolant leak but the A-pillar and dashboard are silent from the factory.

We also kept a 2013 LR4 running for 8 years and over 200K miles, simply because there wasn't any other vehicle available that we liked better than our beloved LR4. But I put over $15K in maintenance and repairs into it after 100K miles. When our Defenders hit the 4 year/50K mile mark, we are going to order a new one. I promised myself not to keep another JLR product past the original warranty.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
We had a coolant leak on our 2021 repaired and I fixed the A-pillar rattle and squeaky dashboard myself. I suspect that being a first year build you have had more issues that JLR fixed in later model years. Our 2023 had a different coolant leak but the A-pillar and dashboard are silent from the factory.

We also kept a 2013 LR4 running for 8 years and over 200K miles, simply because there wasn't any other vehicle available that we liked better than our beloved LR4. But I put over $15K in maintenance and repairs into it after 100K miles. When our Defenders hit the 4 year/50K mile mark, we are going to order a new one. I promised myself not to keep another JLR product past the original warranty.
Why not get the extended warranty? In my mind seems less expensive than ordering a new one - especially with the many bumps up in price from the last years. I have a 2020 and can't configure a similar equipped car for at least $10 to 15k more than my 2020 MSRP.

The following users liked this post:
Jbiggzs (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JtKus
Need some input/thoughts on my 2020 110.

Ive had my 110 for almost three years (warranty almost up) and it’s at the shop again… I’ve had rear differential issues three times, coolant tank issues, security system and locks not working as the battery was dying/battery replaced, sound system issues, and squeaky chipmunk sounds coming from the dash area when driving at higher speeds. (Not my first Land Rover so I know the love hate relationship well…)
And my daytime running light has been out since March. I’ve been on waitlist for four months and told it may arrive to dealer next month. (And three other defenders in my city have the same headlight out as well)

*One month ago My battery died/ replaced and differential updated at dealer and car sent home with no issues. All under warranty.

*last week I was driving in 70mph zone on a four-lane highway when the car lost power. It was terrifying with three kids in the car with me. We pulled over safely topping out at 30mph and LR towed vehicle to dealer. I’ve been told it is a faulty crankcase ventilation system. They’ll replace and do system updates… was told ‘no big deal’ and should be good to go. Again.

I love my defender and previously had an LR4 for over 10 years. But I’m wondering what the best next steps are… I’m now worried about safety in addition to reliability. There are so many ‘software updates’ or computer glitches with this car that unsure if the dealerships and those doing the work are all updated.

Has anyone else had this many issues/repeated issues with their 2020? I hate to post this as I love my car, but the frustration is peaking!
I also have a 2020. Bought it pre-owned, but it was barely driven, so I had to address the early-production issues myself with the dealer. If I can remember correctly I have had the following:

1 - Recall to address the crankcase ventilation issue ( I think it was a recall bulletin).
2 - A-pillar bulletin fix.
3 - My own fix to get rid of the sand/tapping noise in the windshield.
4 - Bulletin to address the keyfob communication issues/key not being recognized to start the car/open doors.
5 - Both headlights replaced under warranty due to failed halo.
6 - Some sensor replaced (can't remember which) that was giving me a check engine light.
7 - Some hiccups in Pivi that usually get fixed with a power cycle.

I love the car and think LR fixed most of these issues in the later MYs. HOWEVER, I will not keep the car without an extended warranty once the factory one runs over next year. Just trying to do the math on trading in X warranty costs. I think I already know my answer though.

The early-production units with problems are fairly common. Even Toyota had issues with the new Tundra and Sequoia. I bet will also happen with the new Land Cruiser and LX too.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Doesn't really help, but you asked. I got my 2020 110X Dec 28, 2020. The only thing it's been in for was the key fob receiver relocation which resolved the flakiness of it working.

I change my own fluids. Haven't had a single issue. Sitting at a little of 26k miles.

The following users liked this post:
StarDust (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
Why not get the extended warranty? In my mind seems less expensive than ordering a new one - especially with the many bumps up in price from the last years. I have a 2020 and can't configure a similar equipped car for at least $10 to 15k more than my 2020 MSRP.
Because I use it for work and can take advantage of the deduction for depreciation. After 4 years/50K miles most of the depreciation deduction is gone.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Because I use it for work and can take advantage of the deduction for depreciation. After 4 years/50K miles most of the depreciation deduction is gone.
Ah! Well done. The beauties of our tax code...

Old 08-31-2023, 05:43 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the OP safety issue was resolved not as a single isolated case (Where it can come back ) but as recognizable issue by a bulletin from LR. Theoretically, this safety issue should not come back.

It looks like LR issued several bulletin and not ignoring the after sale responsibilities.