2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 2020 dealer concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender 2020 dealer concerns...

Greetings,

So as the saga continues, I put my name a "list" 1 year ago with LR Richmond for a position to buy new Defender 90, so I called them on Tuesday the 10th inquiring about my position, and not to my surprise, I was despite being one of the original 5 on said list was denied a chance to order once available.

History: Same dealer purchased Def 90, 1997 last intro and they did a great job with customer support and follow up.

Well, times must have changed because this is the message I received from the dealer later on Tuesday:
Hey good afternoon Mr. Bill this is Adam Paxton down at Jaguar Land Rover Richmond um I just wanted to touch base again with you I spoke to Matt he does have your name and number written down and he was fully aware of the timeframe that the last time you got to talk to him he said that due to the amount of inquiries that we have gotten him as of right now we will have more inquiries and we do allocation spots so in that aspect he said all the customers outside of our immediate market are going to be redirected back to their local dealership he said he remembered you were in from Virginia Beach which in that case I have to send you back to checkered flag as of right now that's best that I can give you a free chance certainly revisit the defender is actually really soon we a couple in our show room everybody gets a chance to come in and take a look at the Aquarius die down a little bit um but as of right now he doesn't even imagine I have enough inventory for our market and the extended clientele base that we have outside of the Richmond area but nonetheless I truly do wish you the best on your defender process if there is anything that we can do or if anything changes I will certainly let you know and will get you did still have your number written down but I genuinely appreciate your interest I do wish you the best of luck but you are more than welcome to give us a shout back if you have any questions I truly wish you the best and have a blessed rest your day take care bye-bye…”

So, I called LR North America and Customer Service said, frankly the dealer can sell or not to you, with the caviat they they prefer to sell in market geographically so they benefit from FUTURE SERVICE. SO Beware, the sad news a "cash payer" declined a previously positioned buy.

I have spoken to LR Va Beach and use them for current service, both the sales manager Terrance and Samir were over whelming willing to help.

JB

Garage:
LR3 '08
BMW M4 Comp '16
Benz C 300 '08
Ford SD 350 SRW KR '17

Old 09-26-2019, 01:27 AM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting your name on a “list” doesn’t guarantee you anything. Everything in demand in this market will go to high bidder unless you get something in writing. Try buying a Porsche GT car, new Supra or walking into any Rolex store and asking for a stainless sport model. Dealers are independently owed and can do whatever they want. Get something in writing or wait for the hype to die. This is a mass produced car but most dealers will definitely milk whatever initial allocation they get until there’s inventory sitting on their lots.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blairwarlock:
BamaCountry (09-26-2019), Old Mate (10-04-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. Unless you write a check and sign a paper, the dealer is under no real obligation to sell you anything.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Drifting

I gave and $2,500 refundable deposit yesterday for a First Addition order to my specification and was told to expect the car in March 2020.

Perhaps your dealer is low volume and won’t be getting many allocations, or I’ll be getting a similar note to yours from my dealer in the near future. ��

Old 10-25-2019, 02:46 AM
Drifting

I ordered a 2020 Defender First Addition yesterday with a $2,500 refundable deposit on a signed order. Dealer told me the car will arrive probably by March. Perhaps your dealer is low volume and doesn’t have sufficient allocations or I’ll be receiving the same note you did from my dealer down the road.

Last edited by hsarch; 10-25-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jon Christopher Brillhart
Greetings,

So as the saga continues, I put my name a "list" 1 year ago with LR Richmond for a position to buy new Defender 90, so I called them on Tuesday the 10th inquiring about my position, and not to my surprise, I was despite being one of the original 5 on said list was denied a chance to order once available.

History: Same dealer purchased Def 90, 1997 last intro and they did a great job with customer support and follow up.

Well, times must have changed because this is the message I received from the dealer later on Tuesday:
Hey good afternoon Mr. Bill this is Adam Paxton down at Jaguar Land Rover Richmond um I just wanted to touch base again with you I spoke to Matt he does have your name and number written down and he was fully aware of the timeframe that the last time you got to talk to him he said that due to the amount of inquiries that we have gotten him as of right now we will have more inquiries and we do allocation spots so in that aspect he said all the customers outside of our immediate market are going to be redirected back to their local dealership he said he remembered you were in from Virginia Beach which in that case I have to send you back to checkered flag as of right now that's best that I can give you a free chance certainly revisit the defender is actually really soon we a couple in our show room everybody gets a chance to come in and take a look at the Aquarius die down a little bit um but as of right now he doesn't even imagine I have enough inventory for our market and the extended clientele base that we have outside of the Richmond area but nonetheless I truly do wish you the best on your defender process if there is anything that we can do or if anything changes I will certainly let you know and will get you did still have your number written down but I genuinely appreciate your interest I do wish you the best of luck but you are more than welcome to give us a shout back if you have any questions I truly wish you the best and have a blessed rest your day take care bye-bye…”

So, I called LR North America and Customer Service said, frankly the dealer can sell or not to you, with the caviat they they prefer to sell in market geographically so they benefit from FUTURE SERVICE. SO Beware, the sad news a "cash payer" declined a previously positioned buy.

I have spoken to LR Va Beach and use them for current service, both the sales manager Terrance and Samir were over whelming willing to help.

JB

Garage:
LR3 '08
BMW M4 Comp '16
Benz C 300 '08
Ford SD 350 SRW KR '17

Is that really the letter you got from the dealer? Seems to have been written by a 3rd grader.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I am guessing that is a typed up phone voicemail

Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Who will be the first to post their new Defender? Who will it be? Who? Who?

Old 12-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Wish I could say I had one on order but I am broke lol

Old 12-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Anyone with a Land Rover is broke but especially someone with 4!!

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (12-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Defender 2020 dealer concerns...