Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Build Qs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 04:23 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender Build Qs

New here, Hi! I知 pretty sure I知 going to order a 110 S soon. I知 sure this won稚 be my only questions but here goes. Is air suspension no longer standard on the US spec? Also, in order to get ATPC you have to get air suspension correct? Along the same lines, how is the coil suspension? I致e only test drove an air suspension Defender.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2021, 10:53 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Pangea Green 110 SE defender that unfortunately got totalled. I was looking at the newer models and I am not happy that they removed many of the standard features that I had in my older SE. I was debating on the coil vs air and I decided to pay extra for the air. My ride on the previous model was excellent and my wife is on the shorter side so a easy access height setting would be helpful.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2021, 07:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

I suspect that while coil suspension is the standard on this model, a good number of the off road modes are built around the air suspension. Furhtermore, I suspect the lack of air suspension will be a long term challenge for resale.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:04 AM
4th Gear

What I was most bummed about actually was the see the standard household 110v outlet gone from the cargo area...

Old 08-30-2021, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Circci
What I was most bummed about actually was the see the standard household 110v outlet gone from the cargo area...
Really? With the small aperage allowed, I have from the moment my off-road specified Defender showed up been trying to imagine WHY JLR put it there.

What use are you envisioning or have others found useful? I remain very curious on that one.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by heliochrome85
I suspect that while coil suspension is the standard on this model, a good number of the off road modes are built around the air suspension. Furhtermore, I suspect the lack of air suspension will be a long term challenge for resale.
Unless someone is building a remote geography overlander. The Overlanding community were exceptionally vocal that they will forever avoid air suspension.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm old enough to remember the exact same guys (and they are all guys) - or maybe their fathers - saying exactly the same about coil springs when they replaced leaf springs.

Every over the road truck uses air suspension for literally millions of miles service, and replacement of airbags is easier than replacement of metal springs in almost every case. I think the complainers were confusing the Defender with an Audi Allroad

Old 08-30-2021, 02:09 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Really? With the small aperage allowed, I have from the moment my off-road specified Defender showed up been trying to imagine WHY JLR put it there.

What use are you envisioning or have others found useful? I remain very curious on that one.

I was looking forward to using it for charging my laptop, and my mobile hotspot

Old 08-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, ok -- that makes sense, I guess. Something electronic that has a low current draw during a long drive and maybe can sit in the two plastic pockets within the rear door -- and maybe to power some low amperage global phone or some such -- deep in the outback.

Interesting -- thanks for sharing !

I am non-electronic, as much as a person can be in this day and age -- so was fixated on refigerators and air compressors.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Yes, ok -- that makes sense, I guess. Something electronic that has a low current draw during a long drive and maybe can sit in the two plastic pockets within the rear door -- and maybe to power some low amperage global phone or some such -- deep in the outback.

Interesting -- thanks for sharing !

I am non-electronic, as much as a person can be in this day and age -- so was fixated on refigerators and air compressors.
If it could power a coffee brewer that would be cool.

The following users liked this post:
DonMitsu (08-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Defender Build Qs