Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I only had to use brakes once when I was going a little too fast and a light went yellow. It's weird to me but a lot of Tesla people seem to like it.

Reminds me of those AFX slot cars where you have to finesse the trigger to maintain speed.
I had no idea there was no brake pedal.

Finesse is pretty much my middle name.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:46 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Have read the reviews here and elsewhere, and there seem to be many positive features. For some reason tough, the view from the front reminds me of an emoji on my phone.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Have read the reviews here and elsewhere, and there seem to be many positive features. For some reason tough, the view from the front reminds me of an emoji on my phone.
The Rivian guy says during the demo, "it looks happy like a smily face".

My wife gives him a look that I've personally inspired a few too many times in the past and tells him, "well that's one reason not to buy it".

The following 6 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (06-03-2022), Husky44 (03-04-2023), Matty79 (06-04-2022), randomwatchman (06-03-2022), user 729788 (06-03-2022), WTFChuck (06-03-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2022, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
A motor at each wheel could give the truck stupendous off-road capability -- in theory.

Any discussion or experience with whether they have put in the sensors and the experienced software logic to deliver on this potential?

Thanks for sharing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeth5v_5dPM

Old 06-04-2022, 06:52 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Juancl
Doug DeMuro took a Rivian on a trail and did a pretty honest review noting a few drawbacks. This was a few months ago and at least 2 of them, TPMS and hill descent control have already been added via OTA updates.

Worth a watch but, if you just don't have a few minutes:
Spoiler

And I finally see the face. Just needs teeth.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-04-2022 at 07:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
rcmike57 (03-28-2023), TrioLRowner (03-06-2023), XCELLER8 (11-18-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Doug DeMuro took a Rivian on a trail and did a pretty honest review noting a few drawbacks. This was a few months ago and at least 2 of them, TPMS and hill descent control have already been added via OTA updates.

https://youtu.be/QeACRO3hoek

Worth a watch but, if you just don't have a few minutes:
Spoiler

And I finally see the face. Just needs teeth.

That picture nailed it. From all I’ve read, the Rivian is a capable, intelligent vehicle, but somehow I just can’t get past the front end. Just doesn’t present well. Like when you’re house shopping. The house can have great features, but without ‘curb’ appeal, it doesn’t make you want to buy it. Something a little more aggressive, sleek, eye-catching. Happy meals are good for McD’s, but I’m not sure about a ‘happy’ truck.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
GrouseK9 (06-04-2022), Husky44 (03-04-2023), TrioLRowner (03-06-2023), _Allegedly (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
That picture nailed it. From all I’ve read, the Rivian is a capable, intelligent vehicle, but somehow I just can’t get past the front end. Just doesn’t present well. Like when you’re house shopping. The house can have great features, but without ‘curb’ appeal, it doesn’t make you want to buy it. Something a little more aggressive, sleek, eye-catching. Happy meals are good for McD’s, but I’m not sure about a ‘happy’ truck.
The look on Mater's face (yes, I have a kid) is priceless. That was an accident that I didn't notice until your reply.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

This was a whole bunch of fun!

First, if you just hate EV's, ignore this and move on.

If you're open to try something different, find a way to drive one of these. I was right there with you for a long time so I get it. No hard feelings.

Here goes a really random stream of thoughts.

45 minutes wasn't really enough time but I can say the SUV version of this will be heavily cross-shopped by car-pool moms and a lot of sports parents and activity/lifestyle enthusiasts. You can say these aren't Defender people but roll up to my son's school and see the Landy parade. 6 or 7 Defenders and it's not a big school. Some/many will switch.

Aside from the fact that it's an absolute beast at 3 second 0-60, it's a nice truck. The safety and driving tech alone is really going to make a lot of people want one. The GUI is really intuitive and quick. Your phone can be your key (seriously why is it 2022 and all upper-tier vehicles don't have that?) Cameras record to a USB stick (again, why doesn't LR do that??). Forget about looking for little lights on your side mirrors when you change lanes. The driver display shows you on the road with other vehicles around you and your position in the lane.

Lots of room, super quiet, really nice interior with very thoughtful storage spaces and omfg, the power! Each wheel has its own motor for incredibly controlled torque. It blows away almost every supercar on the planet (if you want that in a 6000 lb. brick) and it comes in well under $100k with 360-ish mile range and super-fast charging.

Where I wish I had more time is with all the driving modes. Breaking, suspension, body roll, etc. were a little random based on the modes. I'm sure there's a way to dial it all in. I will say it tracks the road very well and steering was nice if not a little numb for daily driving. It does pretty well for such a big heavy truck. Much more refined than other big lunks I've driven (Excursion, Expedition).
Letting all of that go, I didn't have any emotional connection to it. I've said that the outside reminds me of a General Motors concept car. It just doesn't do anything for me.

The inside was quite a bit higher quality than I expected... mostly. The plastic bed in the pickup version looks like it wouldn't hold up to serious use as a work truck. But that's probably not the target market. The frunk is absolutely cavernous and can be hosed right out. Very cool feature. The carpet and mandatory 3rd row that they've shown in the SUV version is a huge drawback for me but the Defender cargo space is pretty minimal too.

Seats were very comfortable, driving position is nice, a couple little bits of too-plastic plastic (ac vents) remind you it's a lifestyle vehicle not a luxury box.

Last part is just me and I probably just need to get used to it. One pedal drive is hell. You let off the gas and it just slows right down. Again, I'd have to practice to smooth that part out.

All told, I truly love my Defender and I'd have a really hard time giving it up but this would be the only EV option that comes close and it has some very strong arguments. I have about a year to decide and, like I said, I really love the Defender.
Aside from the obvious differences in size, a lot of the experiences you described is the same for me in my wife’s Tesla! They get a bad reputation but honestly most of those people I’ve encountered are car door ***** and OCD developers with no real understanding of anything (you know what you’re signing up for so buy it and enjoy it or move along). That being said when the R1S is more refined we will probably look at that to replace it. Coming from a Denali XL, then an F150 super crew, the Defender lacks a lot of space…you begin to miss the land yacht, but the Rivian offers a really good package!

Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I saw my first SUV this week. Great green color. Had a lot of presence in the parking lot, given that it's still a 2-box SUV. But I'd swap him my Pangea paint color for that hue in a heartbeat, though.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
jusmax88 (11-18-2022), makristal (11-18-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove through Illinois a few weeks ago, and passed their factory's exit off the highway (RIVIAN LANE or similar). There were masses of them milling around there that day.

Quick Reply: Defender Competitor Rivian Offering At-Home Demos