Land Rover
Which Defender to Get?
Thread starterHumvee4us Start dateFriday at 2:10 PM
UNWATCH

•••
Humvee4us
Friday at 2:10 PM
Add bookmark
I'm torn on what Defender to get. I do plan on doing quite a bit of off-roading. I want to get the V8 Defender but it's about 2k lbs heavier than the P300 engine and loses that payload, payload is only a little more that 1k lbs. Additionally, the smallest wheels are 20" and there doesn't appear to be anything you can do to fit smaller wheels. Additionally, can you not get a roof rack on a V8? However, my primary concern is the weight of the vehicle since I've always been told the lighter the better. On things such as mud and gravel hills lighter vehicle many times don't need to engage their lockers, or even 4WD, where a very similar but significantly heavier vehicle struggled to get through even with 4WD and lockers. I could get the P400 engine, that gives decent acceleration and decent payload, but can only get 19" wheels, although there appears to be aftermarket support to fit 18" on the P400 Defender; but it's still a good 1k lbs over the base model and also loses that in payload, so it's still significantly heavier than other models. If I get the P300 model it's a pretty light vehicle, an advantage off-road I'd imagine, and you can get 18" wheels from the factory, but I'm wondering if for sand dunes, very muddy terrain, or loose rock inclines the P300 has enough power, or does it struggle with that small engine?

Old 09-04-2023, 08:06 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Car1
Expedition Portal

Land Rover
Which Defender to Get?
Thread starterHumvee4us Start dateFriday at 2:10 PM
UNWATCH

•••
Humvee4us
Friday at 2:10 PM
Add bookmark
I'm torn on what Defender to get. I do plan on doing quite a bit of off-roading. I want to get the V8 Defender but it's about 2k lbs heavier than the P300 engine and loses that payload, payload is only a little more that 1k lbs. Additionally, the smallest wheels are 20" and there doesn't appear to be anything you can do to fit smaller wheels. Additionally, can you not get a roof rack on a V8? However, my primary concern is the weight of the vehicle since I've always been told the lighter the better. On things such as mud and gravel hills lighter vehicle many times don't need to engage their lockers, or even 4WD, where a very similar but significantly heavier vehicle struggled to get through even with 4WD and lockers. I could get the P400 engine, that gives decent acceleration and decent payload, but can only get 19" wheels, although there appears to be aftermarket support to fit 18" on the P400 Defender; but it's still a good 1k lbs over the base model and also loses that in payload, so it's still significantly heavier than other models. If I get the P300 model it's a pretty light vehicle, an advantage off-road I'd imagine, and you can get 18" wheels from the factory, but I'm wondering if for sand dunes, very muddy terrain, or loose rock inclines the P300 has enough power, or does it struggle with that small engine?
Most of your issues have been addressed at great length in previous posts. You can save a lot of time by reading and researching the forum to get the answers you need.

The following users liked this post:
DrPizz (09-05-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 02:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Yes, searching will give you tons of opinions, but here is my opinion:

My take after driving all variants, and knowing the wheel size/caliper compromise... and the fact that I use mine as a daily driver AND an off-roader.

V8 - great motor, but I've had this motor in multiple cars (6 Land Rovers) and I've had the SVR experience for 2 years in there a few years back, but it's not what I want in the Defender. The only reason to get it is the exhaust sound IMO.. Also I think it's overpriced. P525 or P500. Both overpriced. Not sure why paying 115K-125K for the same motor I had in my 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged makes sense... My max budget was 100K for the car.

P400 - If you're going to offroad it, get P400, do a slight lift and change the brakes so you can put 18"s on it. (I have not done this, I'm still wheeling on my 20's with bigger tires). Other than the exhaust note I like the p400 motor best. Also, this is probably the best for offroad. But there's a significant uptick in cost over P300. And PS get the rear locker. The only reason not to get the rear locker is cost/availability/difficulty to find.

P300 - A great motor but I like more horsepower and to be totally honest, it never struggles. I borrowed a family friend's for a weekend last year. Really liked the motor alot. The only time I thought it needed more power was high speed on interstate -- ie above 80-85mph. But we shouldn't really be driving these cars at that speed anyway.

I got the X which is basically all the bells and whistles of the V8 with the P400 motor. Very very happy.

ficklma1 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 03:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Nashvegas has a great perspective. I recently traded in a 2022 P400 90X for a 2024 110 V8. No one needs the V8, it's really for the sound and a little bit extra power, that is noticeable, but not mind blowing in comparison to the P400. Other issues with a V8 equipped Defender is in addition to the lower payload capacity, you also lose factory roof rails, which you will have to add yourself if you are looking for roof carrying capacity. I won't go into why the V8's don't have them factory, there are many good explanations on the forums already, and yes, you can add them to the V8 if you want. I traded up from the 90 to the 110 for more packability of space. The 90 was great, loved it, but just found myself playing load space Jenga more than I wanted to. And I choose the V* this time around because I just wanted to, lol. Not real other good reason. Definitely don't need it, but man I do love how it sounds.

ficklma1 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I bought a P300 and hadn't driven one before taking delivery. I was surprised how much power it actually has once I got it. Even the sales guy said it was surprising how it accelerated and kept in the power band, and he was the primary Defender sales guy at our dealer. I saved a few $$'s going with a P300 so I could add some more comfort items without going crazy on price.
With any of these vehicles you can squeak some more acceleration just by reducing unsprung weight. Lighter tire/wheel combo would do wonders. I went with 18's so I could have way more choice in wheel/tire combos later on and be able to lighten the unsprung weight. Could you find that 1.2 second difference in 0-60 times between the P300 and P400? Maybe.. what's it worth to you in $'s?

Old 09-05-2023, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chpsk8
I bought a P300 and hadn't driven one before taking delivery. I was surprised how much power it actually has once I got it.
Same for me- was totally surprised the first time I drove my D90. I've had it for about 6 months now and no regrets.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:18 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Does the V8 defender have the exhaust pop of the SVR sport?

Old 09-05-2023, 08:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Yes, searching will give you tons of opinions, but here is my opinion:

My take after driving all variants, and knowing the wheel size/caliper compromise... and the fact that I use mine as a daily driver AND an off-roader.

P400 - . . . And PS get the rear locker. The only reason not to get the rear locker is cost/availability/difficulty to find.
Very helpful nashvegas, thanks.

Great advice on the rear locker but as I’m looking to buy a CPO 110 soon, how can I tell from the pictures if the defender is equipped with a rear locker? I can see the air suspension option on the center console but not sure where to look for the locker feature.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:07 AM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

@COBoarder If there is a pic of the infotainment screen it will be in the 4x4 info page and you will see the diagram of the suspension and the rear locker will be highlighted. Along with the center. During my search online earlier this year not many dealers will have a picture for you know if it is equipped with a rear locker and you would have to a Vin search or ask the dealer to send a pic. At the end I decided to go with a CPO Defender X like nashvegas as it comes standard with the rear locking diff.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

picking up a 24 130 s p300 this Friday. on 130 the p300 retains the straight 6. will report back how it feels.

Quick Reply: Which Defender to Get