2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Defender to Get

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

I off road monthly with a 110 / P400 that does not have a rear locker. I took a pass on it due to cost and have regretted that decision. However, and this is a big however, I have yet to run into any situation where not having the rear locker has hindered my ability to navigate the obstacle. I go up and down ledges, over rock, mud and sand. I also tow a 6,200 lb trailer. The limiting factory seems to be the tire diameter and lift (I've 33s, no lift, air suspension), not the locker. So my regret is based on emotion, not real capability.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
I off road monthly with a 110 / P400 that does not have a rear locker. I took a pass on it due to cost and have regretted that decision. However, and this is a big however, I have yet to run into any situation where not having the rear locker has hindered my ability to navigate the obstacle. I go up and down ledges, over rock, mud and sand. I also tow a 6,200 lb trailer. The limiting factory seems to be the tire diameter and lift (I've 33s, no lift, air suspension), not the locker. So my regret is based on emotion, not real capability.
Very helpfully, totally agree. When I was debating Rubicon or Safari version of my Jeep Wrangler I regretted not going with the Rubicon for the added off-road capabilities. 5 years later never needed the front or rear lockers even though I been in some tough terrain.

I’m in the process of switching from my Jeep Safari to a CPO Defender and POPTOP and Jbiggzs your insight was very helpful. For me, taking a +$60K vehicle in any terrain that requires rear lockers is nuts but to each his own.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by COBoarder
Very helpfully, totally agree. When I was debating Rubicon or Safari version of my Jeep Wrangler I regretted not going with the Rubicon for the added off-road capabilities. 5 years later never needed the front or rear lockers even though I been in some tough terrain.

I’m in the process of switching from my Jeep Safari to a CPO Defender and POPTOP and Jbiggzs your insight was very helpful. For me, taking a +$60K vehicle in any terrain that requires rear lockers is nuts but to each his own.
There seems to be some confusion with the Defender about the so-called "rear lockers". To my knowledge, they are not just lockers. They are called (at least in my build sheet) Electronic Active Differential and have the added benefit of torque vectoring by breaking. So, it is not just for off-road situations (although it tremendously helps there too). It greatly improves your safety and stability on-road as well. See discussion in this thread.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...please-108788/

Old 09-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Not sure you'd really need to improve on the "safety and stability" of the standard Defender. Even my base specification 90 on coil springs is solid as a rock and confidence inspiring, particularly when towing our caravan.

But l guess it can't do any harm to have the extra tech if you want it.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mrego
There seems to be some confusion with the Defender about the so-called "rear lockers". To my knowledge, they are not just lockers. They are called (at least in my build sheet) Electronic Active Differential and have the added benefit of torque vectoring by breaking. So, it is not just for off-road situations (although it tremendously helps there too). It greatly improves your safety and stability on-road as well. See discussion in this thread.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...please-108788/
Good point. I guess the old adage that ignorance is bliss may apply here. I haven't run into a scenario on the road or trail where I thought I needed additional control. But, not having the active rear differential I've no idea what the improvement is like. I guess it's like the time I put big-block sticky tires on my BMW. I was happy with the handling beforehand, but after the tire change it was - holy crap, this thing can handle!