Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender makes G63 look like a toy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

@Yulongtd6 - so very true.
As one person who owned MBs in the past (true - no Gwagon, but MLs and GLs) I can tell you that they were some of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. Every month, there was a new defect. You fix it, hoping that you are done with the bad luck, but no... next week or month, there was something new - not what you fixed tho ! new !
Given their track record, I seriously doubt the Gwagon is made special, better, or by some one else. MB is a brand that was good, before 1985s and it got horrible year after year.
Will Defender last ? I hope so.... but time will tell.
It has its own gremlins, but nothing compared to MB.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (03-04-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Hate to rain on your parade but the G63 is superior to the new Defender. Your photo doesn't really do any of them justice, certainly not the Gwagen. This is the second post of someone trying to compare the Gwagen to the new Defender. They are nothing alike. I go to a Mercedes dealership once a week and the only two they have on the showroom floor are absolutely stunning to see inside and out. Wimpy they are not.
Once a week to a Merc dealership? Do you service the vending machines in the break room or something?

Take a look at almost any 3+ year old G. They are the only vehicle that develops corrosion in Florida. Rear doors, around the windshield, doors, etc. Always bubbles in the paint. This vehicle is so bad at trapping water that the dealers will tell you to use a dehumidifier and fans in your garage, dry the car immediately after it gets wet, crack the sunroof after the rain so water doesn't sit...

The running boards almost always look terrible with rubber peeling off and the paint always seems to have run-off stains on G's kept outside.

I'm being a little dramatic here but it's $100k++ "capable, tough" and built by a company that should know better. Apparently they addressed this in MY 2019.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 02-27-2022 at 11:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (02-27-2022), Mechano2020 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdflrd
I parked next to a Mercedes G63 and was shocked sitting side by side how wimpy the G63 looked. I think the owner of the G63 was feeling bad after seeing them together.

If you want to do a visual comparison, at least park your defender exactly adjacent to the G wagen. With the foreshortening of the camera lens, your defender being parked more upfront appeared to be far more bigger than it is.

The g wagen is beautiful and I personally would not feel bad after seeing the defender next to it and i love my D90.

Last edited by sacharama; 02-27-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,312 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Hate to rain on your parade .....

Isn't parade-raining the reason you're here?

swajames (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

'Better' and 'value' are subjective terms ... that said, let's take a look at the two cars in the pic.

The G63 owner can sell their car after beating on it for a year and get a free Defender with the profit. Buy a G63, get a free defender = Problem solved.

The question isn't if the G63 is three times better, the question is why would the OP project that the G63 owner would feel bad about being parked next to a Defender, or why assume that they would even give the Defender a second thought?

By the mere fact that the OP felt compelled to post this assumption whilst the G63 owner is merrily going on about their life is an indication of their own insecurity.

But in the spirit of making the OP feel as good about themself as token tribal approval can ... sure, the G63 owner masturbated when he saw the OP's Defender and then committed suicide for lack of having one.

All good now?

The following 4 users liked this post by soulsea:
Father McKenzy (02-28-2022), GavinC (02-27-2022), Kev M (02-28-2022), markjlr (03-04-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,312 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
'Better' and 'value' are subjective terms ... that said, let's take a look at the two cars in the pic.

The G63 owner can sell their car after beating on it for a year and get a free Defender with the profit. Buy a G63, get a free defender = Problem solved.

The question isn't if the G63 is three times better, the question is why would the OP project that the G63 owner would feel bad about being parked next to a Defender, or why assume that they would even give the Defender a second thought?

By the mere fact that the OP felt compelled to post this assumption whilst the G63 owner is merrily going on about their life is an indication of their own insecurity.

But in the spirit of making the OP feel as good about themself as token tribal approval can ... sure, the G63 owner masturbated when he saw the OP's Defender and then committed suicide for lack of having one.

All good now?
Lol

Bowing out Michael Hutchence style.

Too soon?

Last edited by GavinC; 02-27-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Elektrapops (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 04:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Once a week to a Merc dealership? Do you service the vending machines in the break room or something?

Take a look at almost any 3+ year old G. They are the only vehicle that develops corrosion in Florida. Rear doors, around the windshield, doors, etc. Always bubbles in the paint. This vehicle is so bad at trapping water that the dealers will tell you to use a dehumidifier and fans in your garage, dry the car immediately after it gets wet, crack the sunroof after the rain so water doesn't sit...

The running boards almost always look terrible with rubber peeling off and the paint always seems to have run-off stains on G's kept outside.

I'm being a little dramatic here but it's $100k++ "capable, tough" and built by a company that should know better. Apparently they addressed this in MY 2019.
MY2019 and current addressed all the issues of the older Gwagen. They are much better in all aspects.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 403 Likes on 202 Posts

I was given a G wagon on a contract in Central America, specifically Honduras. Honestly it was the most disappointing car, especially considering what it cost. It really was built like a cookie tin and has a horrible transmission, which was unable to tow aircraft. It jerked all around trying to get a soft pull. I quickly rid myself of it, it was going to damage the equipment. Frankly it rather reminded me of driving one of the old boxy Isuzu Troopers. Frankly the baking pie plate sized logo was also a tad embarrassing along with a bit endangering there. I believe the New York Times reviewer said, the only reason you would get one was for the logo. Kinda of have to agree with him, they made it big enough. It would make a super vehicle for a Concierge Physicians Assistant in the Hamptons.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
@Yulongtd6 - so very true.
As one person who owned MBs in the past (true - no Gwagon, but MLs and GLs) I can tell you that they were some of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. Every month, there was a new defect. You fix it, hoping that you are done with the bad luck, but no... next week or month, there was something new - not what you fixed tho ! new !
Given their track record, I seriously doubt the Gwagon is made special, better, or by some one else. MB is a brand that was good, before 1985s and it got horrible year after year.
Will Defender last ? I hope so.... but time will tell.
It has its own gremlins, but nothing compared to MB.
You could insert “Land Rover” or “Defender” in lieu of “MB” and your post would ring just as true.

Last edited by Barstoolman1127; 02-28-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

You could have been styling, @Dogpilot !!

Quick Reply: Defender makes G63 look like a toy