Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender safety features

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:44 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Defender safety features

After watching YouTube about the safety features of the defender comparing it to the gwagen, does it really have AEB or autonomous emergency braking as well as pedestrian recognition ability? Is it installed in all defenders or just the X if it has one.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

Only one way to find out for sure.

Dramatic reenactment. Soon.

The following users liked this post:
Bsooudi (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 04:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Last minute of the video

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (08-28-2021), Huc (08-09-2022)
Old 08-28-2021, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Mercedes really hit it out of the park with the G. Keeping the original styling and overall look of the original with a complementary refresh.

ficklma1 (12-25-2022)
Old 08-28-2021, 08:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Mercedes really hit it out of the park with the G. Keeping the original styling and overall look of the original with a complementary refresh.
It's funny. I've always wanted one because they look so good but I would never own one after driving it for a week. It was horrible.

Now that they've improved the ride, I'm tired of the way they look.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:00 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Here is the YouTube version:

Old 12-25-2022, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
After watching YouTube about the safety features of the defender comparing it to the gwagen, does it really have AEB or autonomous emergency braking as well as pedestrian recognition ability? Is it installed in all defenders or just the X if it has one.
Yes, it really does have autonomous emergency braking. Just had mine come on for the first time. With really high winds and heavy rain, I was in the far left lane on the highway going about 70 coming up on someone in front of me probably going around 60. At about 100 feet away the Defender slams on the brakes with far more braking power than I have ever seen when applying the brakes myself. My seatbelt locked, the front end dives and the winter tires are chirping on the wet road as the ABS does it's thing. All this in about 3 second then it backed off once I applied the brake myself. Good to know we have this feature, although I suspect the heavy windswept rain distorted the calibrated distance or speed difference between me and the car in front of me. Thankfully there was nobody behind me. The braking force was so powerful and fast that I would have certainly gotten rear ended by anyone following me. I know our X5 M50i with M Sport brakes has amazing braking but the Defender autonomous braking displayed a similar level of braking ability I had never experienced before.

Huc (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Had mine react to a vehicle about to enter my lane the other day. I was going around 50, driver in the opposite lane was distracted in a curve. Their vehicle was leaving their lane and entering mine. AEB engaged and the defender started to shed speed. I was about to ditch it but the other driver jerked it back into their lane. Obviously if the other driver had not realized what was happening I would have had to make the choice of hitting them or something on the shoulder but I am guessing my speed at impact would have been more like 10mph vs 50. It works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nuckle:
ficklma1 (12-26-2022), Huc (12-25-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 09:27 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Yes, it really does have autonomous emergency braking. Just had mine come on for the first time. With really high winds and heavy rain, I was in the far left lane on the highway going about 70 coming up on someone in front of me probably going around 60. At about 100 feet away the Defender slams on the brakes with far more braking power than I have ever seen when applying the brakes myself. My seatbelt locked, the front end dives and the winter tires are chirping on the wet road as the ABS does it's thing. All this in about 3 second then it backed off once I applied the brake myself. Good to know we have this feature, although I suspect the heavy windswept rain distorted the calibrated distance or speed difference between me and the car in front of me. Thankfully there was nobody behind me. The braking force was so powerful and fast that I would have certainly gotten rear ended by anyone following me. I know our X5 M50i with M Sport brakes has amazing braking but the Defender autonomous braking displayed a similar level of braking ability I had never experienced before.
Disabling the Emergency Braking is the first thing I do after starting the vehicle. The second thing I do is disabling the Emergency Lane Keeping feature. As related above, I do not need any vehicle to brake when I do not want it to, nor am I expecting it to. It happened to me once, and I have disabled it ever since. All these years of driving, and in vehicles without this feature, I would rather trust my own instincts and reactions. And I also do not need a vehicle to attempt to override my own steering control by wrenching the wheel when I neither need it to, nor expect it to. I don’t relish getting rear ended when my vehicle slams on the brakes when it is not necessary, which occurred while I was slowing down for a driver in front of me turning onto a parking lot, in a situation where I had plenty of room and was pacing their turn to avoid applying my brakes. Had there been a car close to my rear bumper, they may have hit me. You couldn’t give me a Tesla, as I am perfectly able to, and enjoy, driving and controlling my own vehicle. Without going into my utter disgust for Elon Musk, the Teslas have a rather poor record in regards to their autonomous operation, and the fatalities related to its failures.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
gb1044 (12-27-2022), gurka01 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 10:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

hey wtfchuck how do you disable this feature on thr defender i have a another vehicle a honda and it wont let you disable just adjust distance b4 engagement

Quick Reply: Defender safety features