Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender trophy edition thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Defender trophy edition thoughts

I stopped by my local Land Rover dealer and was surprised to see a trophy edition in the show room , so I took a few pictures. The defender itself is black with a mustard colored wrap.. for those of you stateside, it is the same color as Chick-fil-A sauce. I was not impress by the quality of the wrap job however. You can see there are visible seams and areas where I could see the wrap would come undone if the near future.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 10:47 PM
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a deposit on one until I saw it in person. It’s just a black 110 se with a cheap wrap. No badges, not numbered. While I appreciate LR acknowledging their past, this is a half assed attempt. That being said, I’d love to get a hold of one of the 70 Trek 110s that Lucky8 is building 🤤

The following 3 users liked this post by Shockm:
clubguy (09-23-2021), GrouseK9 (08-12-2021), Juancl (08-26-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:40 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

It looks like it's an option that comes with an oem winch.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:51 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That wrap is nasty.

I was seriously considering getting one as it seems like a collectable like the G4 Discovery vehicles. However, my BTO 2021 X-Dynamic HSE with my options has everything that is quoted for the Trophy edition which is essentially an X-Dynamic SE with all the off-road options and 19in off-road wheel package. I don't have the wrap or the ladder & compressor but everything else is on my vehicle, plus I have HSE spec and HUD, and so other than collectibility, there is no upside for me at least. Also, dealers are marking up any that are available too so the $91k base gets more expensive.

Certainly a cool build & colour but looking at those wrap pictures put me off. Given that it took 3 months for a replacement windshield for mine, how long would a replacement wrap section cost?

Old 08-12-2021, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Shockm - Tell us more about the Lucky8 70 builds. I must have missed that.
@sblvro - The winch is an option on the option. All the advertisements say that it is "subject to availability". They will add it on (and the price) if they can get it, but not part of the "base" package. I think they are trying not to set expectations with all the supply problems.

And, while I'm not adverse to any wrap/protective film/etc, I agree that was a crappy job. If you watch any video re: how the pro's do it, they would have started at the peak of that corner and worked out. That was a lame way to deal with the stresses and the seams don't looked finished in the pic. What was that a door? Obviously this one was an amateur hour. Maybe they needed to train the person and this was their vehicle? /s

Old 08-12-2021, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by gwelland
That wrap is nasty.

I was seriously considering getting one as it seems like a collectable like the G4 Discovery vehicles. However, my BTO 2021 X-Dynamic HSE with my options has everything that is quoted for the Trophy edition which is essentially an X-Dynamic SE with all the off-road options and 19in off-road wheel package. I don't have the wrap or the ladder & compressor but everything else is on my vehicle, plus I have HSE spec and HUD, and so other than collectibility, there is no upside for me at least. Also, dealers are marking up any that are available too so the $91k base gets more expensive.

Certainly a cool build & colour but looking at those wrap pictures put me off. Given that it took 3 months for a replacement windshield for mine, how long would a replacement wrap section cost?
I personally feel like the "collectibility" value is $0. That wrap is certainly an acquired taste and it won't last forever especially looking like it was a DIY application.

It would be really fun to do the trophy competition but, since that's limited to the first 90 entries out of 220 trucks being sold, most buyers won't even be able to. I get that most Defender buyers aren't getting much more off-road than jumping a curb in school dropoff but you would think buyers of THIS edition would almost all want that experience that they're hyping up as part of the package. What a let-down.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-12-2021 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eitan (09-25-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer was hot to sell me one of these when my X got pushed till January. I simply couldn’t see any advantage to this from a value perspective and the markup was going to be somewhat steep. It’s a cool concept but it’s basically a HSE with with a $15K yellow wrap (stickers) that I don’t want anyway. IMHO, it looks more like a loaner or demo type vehicle. My guess is that JLR threw this together to give dealers a boost while they catch up on the taillight issues. There is about $20K of cost added to this vehicle with no real rationale to back it up. The quality of the wrap just confirms my decision to pass.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:02 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

For me, subjectively, the wrap is ugly as sin and the huge markup pushes the Defender far above it's value range.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

I ju$t can't imagine why did thi$!

Old 08-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,399 Likes on 688 Posts

No idea why anybody would pay one penny beyond the cost of the underlying truck plus the cost of the wrap, and only then IF they particularly liked that wrap (as if...)

I'm used to Porsche releasing special editions of their regular (not GT Division) cars and bundling some tasty options together with a few items you can't get on that model no matter what, and maybe a color or interior that's unique, and then charging $10,000 less than it would cost you to build a similar car from a regular model using options. For instance, I had a 2015 911 GTS, that was a good bit cheaper than a 911S optioned up to GTS levels, and included the wide-body GT3 shell that you couldn't get on a RWD 911S, and centerlock wheels, and some unique trim pieces.

This seems like just the opposite: put a cheap wrap on it, give nothing that can't be had on a Dynamic SE, and charge a big upcharge.

Quick Reply: Defender trophy edition thoughts