2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender X Dynamic - 20 vs 22 inch wheels in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:41 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender X Dynamic - 20 vs 22 inch wheels in NY?

Hi All

I'm about to place an order for a new 2021 Defender X-Dynamic 110 HSE. Very excited to do so! Because of timing, I am going to be sticking with dealer inventory instead of custom ordering it.

Here's my question.
The base X-dynamic comes with 20" 5098 5 Spoke in Satin Dark Gray -- and they look great to me. So do the other 20 inch 5095 Gloss Dark Gray with Contrast Diamond Tuned Finish for $700 extra.

But a lot of cars on lots here in NY / NJ have the 22" 5098 5 spoke gloss black for $2000 extra.

Other than the way it makes the Defender look -- is there any reason for me to splurge and get the 22' inch wheels? Here in the NYC area and suburbs the roads are ok. Oh yeah, and there will likely wont ever be any off-roading with this car. it's just a nice rugged alternative to all the other german / swedish cars/SUVs we have had. OR will this be a harsher ride and more maintenance for the wheels? and more expensive to replace?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

i was thankful to come across the spec i bought with the dark 20" wheels. while the 22's look good you cited the downsides. cost & smaller sidewall which results in harsher ride and more susceptible to damage from potholes & off roading. i feel like my 275/55's give the bare minimum protection for sidewall flex for the way i use the vehicle.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I had a dodge ram that had 20's stock and I upgraded to the srt 22' wheels after a couple of years. I did not notice a change in ride quality. Appearance wise it was a big improvement. The truck was not used for anything off road.

Here is an article linking the effects of wheel size difference
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-wheels-tires/

I ordered the grey 20' wheels for my defender fwiw.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

No offense, but I think 22’s look ridiculous on the Defender. They look the part on a chrome encrusted Escalade, but not the Defender. Just wrong.

The following 4 users liked this post by Tartan:
AI91 (02-22-2021), PaulLR (02-22-2021), Penquinn (04-04-2021), Xploit (04-03-2022)
Old 02-22-2021, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Love my 20" satin gray wheels. Stay with the 20's...less wheel pothole damage as noted above. And eventually I think tire manufacturers will offer many choices in the Defender 20" size.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

saw the 22's the other day for the first time and wasn't feeling them. think they are overkill and also don't make sense on a defender to me. especially if you are in nyc with **** roads. i would rather have the extra sidewall.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

proportionally the 22’s actually fit the truck better. the 22’s do have a some what beefy side wall at 45 so potholes shouldn’t be a huge issue unless you hit them at 80 mph

the defender crowd is divided and leans heavily more in the off-road category. So you will get the off-road comments more than not. but the new chassis is a blend of urban comfort with super abilities. so use the car the way your wallet tells you .

i am not a fan of the 22 design and only reason i wouldn’t spend the extra money as i would replaced them.

i replaced my 20’s with aftermarket 20’s with bfg k02’s with heavy influence from off road friends. my defender will prob never see the dirt it was built for but it does see snow a lot. So if anything i would need a more all weather tire.

that being said i regret my purchase of my 20’s and will be moving back to some 22’s with AT tires

Originally Posted by guzman
Hi All

I'm about to place an order for a new 2021 Defender X-Dynamic 110 HSE. Very excited to do so! Because of timing, I am going to be sticking with dealer inventory instead of custom ordering it.

Here's my question.
The base X-dynamic comes with 20" 5098 5 Spoke in Satin Dark Gray -- and they look great to me. So do the other 20 inch 5095 Gloss Dark Gray with Contrast Diamond Tuned Finish for $700 extra.

But a lot of cars on lots here in NY / NJ have the 22" 5098 5 spoke gloss black for $2000 extra.

Other than the way it makes the Defender look -- is there any reason for me to splurge and get the 22' inch wheels? Here in the NYC area and suburbs the roads are ok. Oh yeah, and there will likely wont ever be any off-roading with this car. it's just a nice rugged alternative to all the other german / swedish cars/SUVs we have had. OR will this be a harsher ride and more maintenance for the wheels? and more expensive to replace?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2021, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear

Hi everyone -

thanks for all your input..... let me see how i should spend the $$ now.....

thanks

Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by guzman
Hi All

Here's my question.

Thanks

I have an x with 22 inch gloss black wheels and actually surprised how smooth the potholes are in the truck. I came out of a 21inch sport v8 supercharged and did not handle NY roads well at all. I would go for the 22's as I think looks better and fill some of the open space under truck.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:41 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
No offense, but I think 22’s look ridiculous on the Defender. They look the part on a chrome encrusted Escalade, but not the Defender. Just wrong.
my new defender with 22’s.....I beg to differ sir.
Ride quality is great and I just came out of a RR long wheel base.

Quick Reply: Defender X Dynamic - 20 vs 22 inch wheels in NY?