Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Detailing recommendations

Was perusing the local auto parts store looking for tire, interior and leather "dressings" and quickly become overwhelmed with the choices. Gone are the days of throwing Amorall on everything clearly. I usually use a spray foam on the tires (but hate the super shiny stuff), Amorall on interior plastic and Meguiar's leather cleaner/protectant on seats but wanted to see if folks have tried and true recommendations for these 3 areas. I keep hearing about 303 but that seems extreme for a new car but I know nothing. It also looks like the dash is more dimpled so it won't easily take a spray unless I use a sponge or similar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:01 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read the ArmorAll is not great for leather long term. I've gone the leather conditioner route 2-3 times a year and seems to have really kept the leather looking good. The cleaner is pretty straight forward. My wife hates the smell of the conditioner for the first few days but it keeps the seats/leather looking nice.

The following users liked this post:
mlw911 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 10:36 AM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

I've used 303 for a few years on other leather interiors, many new, and liked the results. I got turned on to it after the professional detailer I occasionally take my cars to said that's what he uses on interiors. For exterior, because I have their ceramic coating on one of my cars, I like Gtechniq products.

There's a lot of opinions on what's best but just make sure you never use an automated car wash, unless its touchless!

mlw911 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a combination of stuff I use.

Meguiars interior detailer cleaner for all the trim and everything other than the leather for general cleaning.
Mother's protectant for interior
Mother's foaming wheel and tire cleaner
Mother's bug and tar remover (make sure to wash it off after)
Silverwax top guard for the fabric roof
Meguiars gold class rich leather cleaner conditioner and protectant
Previously also usrd armor all leather are before I bought the meguiars product.
Invisible glass - worms really well, no streaks. Don't use Windex!

If I only needed the bare minimum of products I'd use the meguiars detailer for cleaning everything - it still works good on leather, and the invisible glass. The rest are all optional or special use items.

For cleaning tools I have some small detailing brushes to get into crevices that I use alongside a vacuum. Run the vacuum behind the area you're brushing. Lots of microfiber cloths as well.

I have a dupray neat steam cleaner which I run through the hard to reach spots - great in the door hinges. It was the cheapest multipurpose and still very portable unit I could find and works great.

TLDR all I need for moth detailing is a dealing brush, microfiber cloths, meguiars interior detailer, and invisible glass.

mlw911 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 12:44 PM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

Most over counter products will produce okay results. Some can do harm. It really depends on what you want to achieve.

a lot can be learned pursuing auto detailing forums such as this one -https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

Old 08-27-2022, 12:57 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Most over counter products will produce okay results. Some can do harm. It really depends on what you want to achieve.

a lot can be learned pursuing auto detailing forums such as this one -https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/
I really don't buy into this idea that to "not do harm" or to get great results you need to buy all these fancy boutique detailing supplies. Though I do recommend still testing the products in a small area first, I've never seen anything do any damage even over 10 years.

My last car I bought new 12 years ago, first year of the model. On that one I only used some basic armorall interior cleaner, armorall leather conditioner and some paper towel, with the occasional vacuuming of the carpets.

It sat out on the street for those 12 years in the sun all summer and in -40 weather all winter.
The leather never looked any worse than the day I bought the car, I never had any fading or degradation of the plastic or dash. I constantly got comments about how good of shape it was in and how new it looked - people always thought it was the late 2018 MY not the 2010 MY.

With my Defender I chose to use some more sepcialized products but I don't think any of it is actually necessary.

When I sold it I got double the blue book value for it, and a big part of it was due to the condition it was in, not the model of car.

There's a lot you can accomplish with just some basic materials and occasional maintenance.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Lots of good options out there and many strong opinions. I’m a big fan of https://ammonyc.com/

Great products, nice people, quick shipping, and many great videos/tutorials.

(not a paid endorser or anything, just really like their products and approach.)

MattF (08-28-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Awesome, thanks all. I see a lot of things I can pick up locally. I was a big fan of the Meguiar's stuff. See a lot of Chemical Guys stuff mentioned as well. Sounds like I can't go to wrong. Just like to expand outside of my Amroall everything detailing days.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:31 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Leather interior pieces: Leather Masters (Been using the hard/soft cleaners and protection/conditioners/barriers with great results and they make a matte conditioner. Probably the best stuff for the more finer/non-coated leathers)
Interior plastic: Nextzett Cockpit Premium (to keep the satin look intact and cleans very well)
Glass: Nextzett Windscreen Clear Glass Cleaner and their sealant
Exterior Body: Nexzett Auto Glanz Shampoo
Drying agent and detailer: Owner's Pride Ceramic+ and Ceramic Plus

Nextzett is the newer company name of Einzett, a german auto and marine detailing supplies company.

The following 2 users liked this post by mdeeds71:
MattF (08-28-2022), mlw911 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,151 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeeds71
Leather interior pieces: Leather Masters (Been using the hard/soft cleaners and protection/conditioners/barriers with great results and they make a matte conditioner. Probably the best stuff for the more finer/non-coated leathers)
Interior plastic: Nextzett Cockpit Premium (to keep the satin look intact and cleans very well)
Glass: Nextzett Windscreen Clear Glass Cleaner and their sealant
Exterior Body: Nexzett Auto Glanz Shampoo
Drying agent and detailer: Owner's Pride Ceramic+ and Ceramic Plus

Nextzett is the newer company name of Einzett, a german auto and marine detailing supplies company.
These are perfect suggestions btw... Nextzett/Leather Masters are my combo as well

MattF (11-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Detailing recommendations