Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn’t even make it 72 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by pvangura
Latest update here...dealer says the heater core is cracked, and that radiator fluid 'exploded into the interior area of the vehicle'. They ordered a new heater core, and said that they will 'replace any impacted carpets, etc'. They were also sure to let me know that they have no idea how long this might all take, since the heater core is not very accessible, and the extent of the interior damage is currently unknown...oh, and they don't have any loaner cars available, and can't tell me when they might have one available. Given that radiator fluid was essentially aerosolized and shot out the vents of the car (this happened with my wife and 2 year old in the vehicle on the day prior to the coolant light coming on, and we had no clue what it was), I don't really see the dealer's solution as a viable option. I'm just not comfortable putting my 2 year old back into a car that has been fumigated with hot radiator fluid, unfortunately.

I've reached out to LR North America customer service, as well as a personal contact at LR corporate to see what can be done about swapping this vehicle for one that doesn't permanently stink of radiator fluid...will keep the thread updated on the outcome.
Thanks for sharing. Very sorry you and yours are suffering this !

Seems you are doing all the right things. At a minimum, the dealer should fund a rental car for the duration.

The heater core fault sounds as though it is a COVID-era production error from the supplier -- NOT a good thing. Others may need to be on the look out ......

Old 03-23-2021, 10:57 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Thanks for sharing. Very sorry you and yours are suffering this !

Seems you are doing all the right things. At a minimum, the dealer should fund a rental car for the duration.

The heater core fault sounds as though it is a COVID-era production error from the supplier -- NOT a good thing. Others may need to be on the look out ......
Funny that you mentioned the rental car...the dealer told me to contact LR corporate and ask them to fund a rental car because they don't have any loaners. Just seems to be a mess all around at JLR...really hoping that we can resolve this. Fortunately, my wife works in the automotive industry on the corporate side, so we at least have some idea how to navigate this disaster.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Funny that you mentioned the rental car...the dealer told me to contact LR corporate and ask them to fund a rental car because they don't have any loaners. Just seems to be a mess all around at JLR...really hoping that we can resolve this. Fortunately, my wife works in the automotive industry on the corporate side, so we at least have some idea how to navigate this disaster.
Our 2016 Evoque left us on the side of the road near Washington, DC, having melted down the main power line attached to the battery. The cable needed to be ordered and we had to wait a couple of days, and I was shocked to find out there were Land Rover dealers which did NOT provide loaner cars, instead expecting us to rent a vehicle. What a loss of an opportunity to have their customers experience a different JLR product and support the brand !

Prior to this, I had used 6 dealers all over the east coast and midwest and never ran into such a non-customer friendly approach. I hope this lack of loaners does not become a standard approach.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:31 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Latest update here...dealer says the heater core is cracked, and that radiator fluid 'exploded into the interior area of the vehicle'. They ordered a new heater core, and said that they will 'replace any impacted carpets, etc'. They were also sure to let me know that they have no idea how long this might all take, since the heater core is not very accessible, and the extent of the interior damage is currently unknown...oh, and they don't have any loaner cars available, and can't tell me when they might have one available. Given that radiator fluid was essentially aerosolized and shot out the vents of the car (this happened with my wife and 2 year old in the vehicle on the day prior to the coolant light coming on, and we had no clue what it was), I don't really see the dealer's solution as a viable option. I'm just not comfortable putting my 2 year old back into a car that has been fumigated with hot radiator fluid, unfortunately.

I've reached out to LR North America customer service, as well as a personal contact at LR corporate to see what can be done about swapping this vehicle for one that doesn't permanently stink of radiator fluid...will keep the thread updated on the outcome.
I understand there can be faults and issues during the build process. People make mistakes right? Thats not your fault though, and when you buy a luxury vehicle at this price point there should be a certain bar set that if something catastrophic like this occurs they take accountability and ownership to make up for giving you a vehicle that was essentially dead from the start. Its like a 30 day return window. What a souring experience. I hope they make this up to you.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:35 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Our 2016 Evoque left us on the side of the road near Washington, DC, having melted down the main power line attached to the battery. The cable needed to be ordered and we had to wait a couple of days, and I was shocked to find out there were Land Rover dealers which did NOT provide loaner cars, instead expecting us to rent a vehicle. What a loss of an opportunity to have their customers experience a different JLR product and support the brand !

Prior to this, I had used 6 dealers all over the east coast and midwest and never ran into such a non-customer friendly approach. I hope this lack of loaners does not become a standard approach.
The entire dealership model in the USA is busted. There should be brand standards for service/repair. Some of the larger mega dealerships do better at this than others it seems.

I currently have two mercedes vehicles. The local Mercedes dealership is owned by Lithia. Their service costs beat the independent mechanic shops all while providing a Mercedes loaner. Many times they offer specials or 10-20% off coupons. Lithia bought this mercedes dealership rights from the company that owns the local Jaguar-Land Rover dealership.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

First of all, sorry to hear about your experience and yes, definitely how they handle this will determine if it’s worth sicking with the brand.

Have a couple questions/comments for the broader community related to your situation:

- Considering dealers make their money on service (at least that is my limited understanding) do they really treat service customers differently based on whether you purchased from them or not? In my case I bought my D5 new from my local dealer, but ordered my D90 from a dealer in another state, but will be servicing at the local dealer. My experience with other brands (BMW) in a similar situation is that it did not make a difference since I had an established servicing relationship (and trusted SA) at the local dealer. Expect to be the same for my D90, but wonder what people think of this situation if there was no existing servicing relationship with local dealer.
- The loaner issue is a pain at my local dealer. Basically, if you want a loaner you need to schedule about a month or more in advance. Any unplanned stuff usually means no loaner (I got away with it once, because my SA is really good, but even with that I can’t count on it), but then again it’s a similar story (though with shorter waits) at my BMW dealer.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Like Trio said, this may be a function of COVID and rush to get things done. Look at the Ford Bronco Sport where they forgot to bolt the rear suspension. I wonder if we will see more issues in vehicles in general as parts delays and profits continue to be squeezed.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
First of all, sorry to hear about your experience and yes, definitely how they handle this will determine if it’s worth sicking with the brand.

Have a couple questions/comments for the broader community related to your situation:

- Considering dealers make their money on service (at least that is my limited understanding) do they really treat service customers differently based on whether you purchased from them or not? In my case I bought my D5 new from my local dealer, but ordered my D90 from a dealer in another state, but will be servicing at the local dealer. My experience with other brands (BMW) in a similar situation is that it did not make a difference since I had an established servicing relationship (and trusted SA) at the local dealer. Expect to be the same for my D90, but wonder what people think of this situation if there was no existing servicing relationship with local dealer.
- The loaner issue is a pain at my local dealer. Basically, if you want a loaner you need to schedule about a month or more in advance. Any unplanned stuff usually means no loaner (I got away with it once, because my SA is really good, but even with that I can’t count on it), but then again it’s a similar story (though with shorter waits) at my BMW dealer.
Wow! Weird to hear that. Sounds like Jeep or Chevy or something. My experience with two Porsche dealers over the past 17 years has been: In-warranty car, absolutely definitely a loaner. Will probably be a lesser car than you brought in (base Cayman or base Macan, for instance) but still a Porsche. Once the car is out of warranty, 50/50 on whether they give you a free loaner.

pvangura (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Wow! Weird to hear that. Sounds like Jeep or Chevy or something. My experience with two Porsche dealers over the past 17 years has been: In-warranty car, absolutely definitely a loaner. Will probably be a lesser car than you brought in (base Cayman or base Macan, for instance) but still a Porsche. Once the car is out of warranty, 50/50 on whether they give you a free loaner.
The issue seems to be the small loaner fleets. If you are willing to wait to get your car serviced when a loaner is available you’ll get one.

pvangura (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
The issue seems to be the small loaner fleets. If you are willing to wait to get your car serviced when a loaner is available you’ll get one.
LOL, it's a Land Rover. How many people have the luxury to "schedule" their visits to the service department.

pvangura (03-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Didn’t even make it 72 hours...