2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn’t even make it 72 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 01:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Whoa!! I just got my 2021 90 back after the exact same problem! It took a month to repair. Happened in the middle of nowhere. Several failed attempts at getting a tow truck to me (kept cancelling when they realized how far they had to drive). What an ordeal.

They ended up replacing the heater core which was a fiasco (once they finally found a replacement somewhere in Europe) because they had to remove the passenger seat, flooring, a/c components, cross bar, oye.

I seem to recall that the leak was major at 70+ MPH but not noticeable before, on city roads. I had about 120 miles on the car. Had it less than a week. Unreal right?

I also had a ridiculous time getting a loaner. Since I broke down from my home in Houston on my way to Dallas, the Dallas dealership wouldn’t let me take their loaner back to Houston. The Houston dealership was scheduling 2 or 3 months ahead on their loaners so nothing was available.

The car sat in Dallas for a week before JLR decided who would fix it. Political jockeying at its finest.

My Defender still smells of coolant in my interior, and the carpet was still soaked with it upon its return, but I’m told the smell will go away.

If I hadn’t waited 4 months for my “dream” custom order I would have asked for a swap like you did.

Cheers,

K

Last edited by A Faceless Man; 04-30-2021 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:33 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A Faceless Man
Whoa!! I just got my 2021 90 back after the exact same problem! It took a month to repair. Happened in the middle of nowhere. Several failed attempts at getting a tow truck to me (kept cancelling when they realized how far they had to drive). What an ordeal.

They ended up replacing the heater core which was a fiasco (once they finally found a replacement somewhere in Europe) because they had to remove the passenger seat, flooring, a/c components, cross bar, oye.

I seem to recall that the leak was major at 70+ MPH but not noticeable before, on city roads. I had about 120 miles on the car. Had it less than a week. Unreal right?

I also had a ridiculous time getting a loaner. Since I broke down from my home in Houston on my way to Dallas, the Dallas dealership wouldn’t let me take their loaner back to Houston. The Houston dealership was scheduling 2 or 3 months ahead on their loaners so nothing was available.

The car sat in Dallas for a week before JLR decided who would fix it. Political jockeying at its finest.

My Defender still smells of coolant in my interior, and the carpet was still soaked with it upon its return, but I’m told the smell will go away.

If I hadn’t waited 4 months for my “dream” custom order I would have asked for a swap like you did.

Cheers,

K
Wow, pretty unreal, and not good to hear that I’m not the only one this has happened to.

I was actually at the dealer yesterday to sign some paper work, and they let me know that the heater core that they had ‘expedited’ for me back in March had literally just arrived that day, about a month after they told me it would. They apparently had to pull one from the assembly line...

The loaner car situation is completely ridiculous at this point. Constrained supply and all, but having nothing available for buyers of your newest model (which is bound to experience problems) is just kind of crazy.

I’m very glad I pushed for a replacement vehicle at this point...who knows how long it would have taken them to fix the other one, given the parts situation. Besides, it seems like even after being ‘fixed’, it would still smell like antifreeze, which is pretty unacceptable to me.

Good luck, and I hope the smell does eventually go away. My buddy owns an auto detail shop, and once gave me a ‘odor neutralizing bomb’ to get rid of the campfire smell in my old LR3. It was a 2 part packet that you mix together and then leave in the vehicle overnight. Maybe you could find something like that to try?

Paul

Old 04-30-2021, 09:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pvangura
Wow, pretty unreal, and not good to hear that I’m not the only one this has happened to.

I was actually at the dealer yesterday to sign some paper work, and they let me know that the heater core that they had ‘expedited’ for me back in March had literally just arrived that day, about a month after they told me it would. They apparently had to pull one from the assembly line...

The loaner car situation is completely ridiculous at this point. Constrained supply and all, but having nothing available for buyers of your newest model (which is bound to experience problems) is just kind of crazy.

I’m very glad I pushed for a replacement vehicle at this point...who knows how long it would have taken them to fix the other one, given the parts situation. Besides, it seems like even after being ‘fixed’, it would still smell like antifreeze, which is pretty unacceptable to me.

Good luck, and I hope the smell does eventually go away. My buddy owns an auto detail shop, and once gave me a ‘odor neutralizing bomb’ to get rid of the campfire smell in my old LR3. It was a 2 part packet that you mix together and then leave in the vehicle overnight. Maybe you could find something like that to try?

Paul
Hey Paul. Ya I can’t believe I found your post the day I got my car back. I asked the service dept of this happens a lot and he said no, the biggest troubles seem to be software related. (Shrug).

I agree with you on the loaner situation. Somebody up high should be thankful for their job. Terrible foresight.

I can’t believe your part came in a month after it was promised. That’s insane. Even after it was stamped expedite. Nutty.

Well, I’m going to try to forget it ever happened and hope that nothing major happens again. Ha. (Looks nervously).

Cheers,

K