Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different mount for my V1 Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 02:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Default A different mount for my V1 Radar Detector

The V1 has saved me from countless tickets over the years. Between having it up and running and simultaneously running Waze (set to show speed traps and police reports) on the infotainment screen, it's pretty good early warning.

I had previously used an Add-a-Fuse to hardwire the power wire for the V1 from the fusebox behind the glove box, up the A-Pillar and along the headliner/windshield. However, I didn't like how insecure the suction cup mount was.

So I ordered a cell phone mount that solidly clamped to the upper padded dash beam, added a spring loaded side clamping cell phone holder. I found one could extend wide enough to fit the V1's width (and you could easily find one wide enough for whatever model of radar detector you have):

Had to add a little 17mm RAM ball extension arm (the ball on the mount is 17mm, the socket on the back of the cell phone clamp was also 17mm but I needed the extension arm to get the V1 to sit flat).

So now, the V1 is held solidly, a decently high position for both front and rear radar warnings, the **** is within reach to adjust the volume and mute, and the V1 is no longer at risk of falling off the windshield at a bad time.

It's a short run to send the power cable up from the 12V socket in the center console up and across to the V1 to power it. I can also run a remote display at the 12V power plug to be really stealthy, but I like how the V1's display is now in my field of view while driving. AND...it's really quick to remove and put the V1 away discretely if pulled over : )

For an even cleaner wiring, I'm thinking of getting this USB-C V1 Power adapter ($29) to plug into the unused USB-C port on the dash behind the right edge of the infotainment display.

The clamp was from AliExpress for about $25 Defender Dash Clamp, the cellphone holder it came with wasn't usable to hold the V1. I found this one
Clamping Cell Phone holder Clamping Cell Phone holder
($18) and this was the
17mm Ball Extension Arm 17mm Ball Extension Arm
($2).

It's a pretty stable platform now, probably overkill, but if anyone wants some random 17mm ball RAM clamps/cell phone holders/stuff I got a small pile sitting around from my trial and error attempts to cobble this contraption together lol.

Old 05-26-2024, 03:53 AM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The following users liked this post:
DaveCNB (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 04:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Nice!! That's a well equipped gadget rack

I saw that larger double clamp rack on AliExpress, nice that it holds so much stuff.

Old 05-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCNB
The V1 has saved me from countless tickets over the years. Between having it up and running and simultaneously running Waze (set to show speed traps and police reports) on the infotainment screen, it's pretty good early warning.

I had previously used an Add-a-Fuse to hardwire the power wire for the V1 from the fusebox behind the glove box, up the A-Pillar and along the headliner/windshield. However, I didn't like how insecure the suction cup mount was.

So I ordered a cell phone mount that solidly clamped to the upper padded dash beam, added a spring loaded side clamping cell phone holder. I found one could extend wide enough to fit the V1's width (and you could easily find one wide enough for whatever model of radar detector you have):

Had to add a little 17mm RAM ball extension arm (the ball on the mount is 17mm, the socket on the back of the cell phone clamp was also 17mm but I needed the extension arm to get the V1 to sit flat).

So now, the V1 is held solidly, a decently high position for both front and rear radar warnings, the **** is within reach to adjust the volume and mute, and the V1 is no longer at risk of falling off the windshield at a bad time.

It's a short run to send the power cable up from the 12V socket in the center console up and across to the V1 to power it. I can also run a remote display at the 12V power plug to be really stealthy, but I like how the V1's display is now in my field of view while driving. AND...it's really quick to remove and put the V1 away discretely if pulled over : )

For an even cleaner wiring, I'm thinking of getting this USB-C V1 Power adapter ($29) to plug into the unused USB-C port on the dash behind the right edge of the infotainment display.

The clamp was from AliExpress for about $25 Defender Dash Clamp, the cellphone holder it came with wasn't usable to hold the V1. I found this one Clamping Cell Phone holder ($18) and this was the 17mm Ball Extension Arm ($2).

It's a pretty stable platform now, probably overkill, but if anyone wants some random 17mm ball RAM clamps/cell phone holders/stuff I got a small pile sitting around from my trial and error attempts to cobble this contraption together lol.
Do you have the heated windscreen and if so, is it killing range of the V1!

Old 05-26-2024, 07:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

V1 works perfectly fine with the heated windshield on our 2023 and previous LR4's. But our 2021 has the solar attenuating film layer so the V1 needs to be placed in the opening without the film next to the rear view mirror.

Old 05-26-2024, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling

I do not have the solar attenuating or heated windshield so the low mounting position does not affect the V1's detection range.

Old 05-27-2024, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a V1 and never loved the suction mount. I use the V1 visor clip mount but instead attaching it to the sun visor, I slid it between the headliner and the roof. I used the same method for years on my Macan and never had a problem and it is showing no signs of an issue on my Defender. To get the V1 level, I have a rubber spacer I made between the top of the V1 and the headliner. This way, the V1 is high on my windscreen in the "cut-out" space left of the mirror and very much out of view from the outside looking in.

The following 2 users liked this post by vinceleo:
D110Xd (05-28-2024), WAFOX (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceleo
I have a V1 and never loved the suction mount. I use the V1 visor clip mount but instead attaching it to the sun visor, I slid it between the headliner and the roof. I used the same method for years on my Macan and never had a problem and it is showing no signs of an issue on my Defender. To get the V1 level, I have a rubber spacer I made between the top of the V1 and the headliner. This way, the V1 is high on my windscreen in the "cut-out" space left of the mirror and very much out of view from the outside looking in.
​​​​​​Would you share pictures of this?

Old 05-28-2024, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Interesting solution. Personally I like the Mirror Mount I'm using. Hardwired it to the fuse box behind the passenger glove box. No issues.

Old 05-28-2024, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Husky44;900174]​​​​​​Would you share pictures of this?[/QUOTE

quick pic as requested...

The following 3 users liked this post by vinceleo:
D110Xd (05-28-2024), Husky44 (05-28-2024), WAFOX (05-29-2024)

Quick Reply: A different mount for my V1 Radar Detector