Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different wiper spray options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Different wiper spray options?

Does anyone know of any kits or anything that allow you to have a normal sprayer setup for the wipers instead of the awful ones that are on the blades, themselves? This is the worst thing about the defender. They don't have a wide spray and you can never get the windshield clean. I'm dreading winter time when there's salt all over the windshield. Thanks

Old 09-06-2023, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not aware of a specific aftermarket replacement option however I did see a thread a while back about this same issue. In that thread adjusting the stock sprayer nozzles was discussed. They are a small ball that a pin or other object can be inserted into the nozzle then moved to direct the spray. There are 4-5 per blade I don’t remember specifically without looking. With some effort others reported good coverage and cleaning. I was lucky and did not need to adjust mine. Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

These washer blades work well in winter from my experience including weekly drives to Vermont. It's important to clean the road grime off these blades so they function correctly. I wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by PaulLR
These washer blades work well in winter from my experience including weekly drives to Vermont. It's important to clean the road grime off these blades so they function correctly. I wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel.
Thanks. I'm not worried about the wiper blades, themselves. I'm worried about the spray pattern. I don't know if others are experiencing what I am, but the spray is just a stream and not a spread or fan, so it squirts on the windshield and misses a lot of spots. If this is supposed to be an off-road vehicle, why not have a windshield washing system that is geared towards that?

Old 09-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by joeg679
...If this is supposed to be an off-road vehicle, why not have a windshield washing system that is geared towards that?
Funny, a lot of rally / off road racing vehicles are converted to wiper spray to ensure maximum coverage with minimum washer fluid use....

Old 09-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemfr
Funny, a lot of rally / off road racing vehicles are converted to wiper spray to ensure maximum coverage with minimum washer fluid use....
I hope they do it better than LR, because it failed miserably in this attempt to "reinvent the wheel".

The following users liked this post:
joeg679 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

It's actually not am attempt to reinvent the wheel. Many manufacturers have gone down this route for going on 40 years (actually, probably even longer). My washers have been fine to the point where I never even reflected on anything. Maybe just lucky? Or a better LR dealer?

Old 09-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I adjusted mine using a safety pin. they work a little better, but would like a bigger spread. I'm used to my RRS covering the whole windshield with fluid. Thanks for the replies

The following users liked this post:
ORDPA (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

I looked into this a year ago when I changed my own wiper blades. The blades that squirt from the inside of the wiper rubber is called Aquablade. It's been around for a decade. Some fun reading:

https://www.valeo.com/en/aquablade/
and

So it appears it's Valeo (owned by Bosch) technology that they sold to Land Rover. Not something JLR has cooked up themselves but something they decided to put on the vehicle. Wonder how hard Valeo sold them on this... cuz I agree, it stinks.

Selling points seem to be:
-- Sustainability -- 50 % less washer fluid used
-- Weight reduction play -- huh?
-- And something about keeping window cleaner so autonomous vehicle operation is better -- ie window mounted cameras.
-- Premium OEM adoption (M-B, Volvo, JLR + Others)

I sound like an old codger but personally don't like it either having seen it in action. My 2020 Defender 110 has standard sprayers front / rear... no Aquablades here. If you have the new stuff, you could always retrofit back to what I have (guessing wiper arms/tubing/nozzles/wiper blades), which works fine.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I looked into this a year ago when I changed my own wiper blades. The blades that squirt from the inside of the wiper rubber is called Aquablade. It's been around for a decade. Some fun reading:

https://www.valeo.com/en/aquablade/
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyyOS1jYMA8

So it appears it's Valeo (owned by Bosch) technology that they sold to Land Rover. Not something JLR has cooked up themselves but something they decided to put on the vehicle. Wonder how hard Valeo sold them on this... cuz I agree, it stinks.

Selling points seem to be:
-- Sustainability -- 50 % less washer fluid used
-- Weight reduction play -- huh?
-- And something about keeping window cleaner so autonomous vehicle operation is better -- ie window mounted cameras.
-- Premium OEM adoption (M-B, Volvo, JLR + Others)

I sound like an old codger but personally don't like it either having seen it in action. My 2020 Defender 110 has standard sprayers front / rear... no Aquablades here. If you have the new stuff, you could always retrofit back to what I have (guessing wiper arms/tubing/nozzles/wiper blades), which works fine.
I'm definitely going to look into putting the traditional system on. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Different wiper spray options?