Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Directly ordering parts in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:08 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
MyRoverParts.com is the web business of Land Rover Wilmington in Delaware, USA. They and Land- Rover Fairfield in CT both regularly offer new, OEM parts at 30 to 50 % less than other LR dealers on the east coast.
Great experience ordering from myroverparts.com

Old 06-19-2021, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice from seasoned jlr owners please When I ordered my 22, my dealer wouldn't even order some of the accessory I wanted (mud flaps, side steps, cargo mat, luxury carpet mats, roof ladder, cross bars, and air compressor). I was told " he would do it closer to the delivery date".... I will be charged $175/hr for the labor 3 hrs -mudflaps, 5 hrs -side steps, 1.5 hrs - ladder, .5hrs - cross bar. This is my first jlr purchase.... the reason I'm worried about the accessories not being ordered is bc the customer service and ordering process was the worst I have ever experienced. I hope the customer service improves and my treatment was a fluke (I felt like I was BEGGING them to place my order.... my sales guy sat me down with his assistant to print up the order - I knew more about the defender options than he did- my sales guy disappeared constantly- and I had to call repeatedly for 5 days to place the order - not thru my sales guy, but the used car manager found someone to actually put in the order - I'm thinking they needed an allocation and that might have delayed it some). Never at MB, Jeep, Mini, or Jag have I ever been so disregarded as a customer... Like hello here's my 100k cash order - someone???? anyone???? Bueller????? anyhoo... With my jeeps and mini I ordered the accessories all at once and had it all installed prior to pickup and did the other nonOEM aftermarket items myself. With this purchase I'm wondering if I should locate and purchase the unordered accessories myself ( like I did my tires and redbourne wheels).... Fyi... I'm "easy on the eyes", polite, respectable, and a car enthusiast so I know it wasn't me projecting an attitude that caused my treatment. Mecum is my fav show! I am on my 8th wrangler and I am THRILLED about my first defender. I'm keeping the jeep too tho (I'm in a beach town). Just wish I could've gotten that yummy V8 with the interior I wanted.... oh well.

So whats the verdict? Order the parts myself? Then should I have the dealership install bc Ive watched the videos.... the accessories for the defender don't seem as friendly to install as jeep stuff is (using existing holes and brackets ect).
thx and sorry for rambling.... blame the strong coffee.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,411 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjirish
...the customer service and ordering process was the worst I have ever experienced. I hope the customer service improves and my treatment was a fluke (I felt like I was BEGGING them to place my order.... my sales guy sat me down with his assistant to print up the order - I knew more about the defender options than he did- my sales guy disappeared constantly- and I had to call repeatedly for 5 days to place the order - not thru my sales guy, but the used car manager found someone to actually put in the order - I'm thinking they needed an allocation and that might have delayed it some). Never at MB, Jeep, Mini, or Jag have I ever been so disregarded as a customer...
Welcome to Land Rover. Settle in. There's more to come.

When I ordered my Defender, the sales manager at my local dealership didn't even know how to shift one into gear and asked me to back out of a tight spot because he was "afraid".

The new CEO says they are missing out on 100k units/year. Their culture is confusion, delay, and jury-rigged fixes. Far from a luxury experience.

I think that 100k number is low. If they had a better reputation, they'd probably own a big chunk of the new Bronco reservations. I'm buying one of those for my son and paying $5k more for it than a base 110. Don't get me wrong, it's nice (we got to sit in one) but it's no Defender in so many ways. Not even close. The Bronco forums are loaded with people making this comparison that are tempted, especially with multiple delays (ours was expected in November but now won't arrive now until next Spring). They're just terrified of ever owning a JLR vehicle.

You can either embrace that as part of the charm or buy something else. Hopefully Thierry can change the culture but it's more than "trying to turn a giant ship". It's like raising the Titanic, putting it back together, and then trying to turn it.

The following users liked this post:
Jjirish (06-24-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

@Jjirish that seems to mimic my experience. Frankly, the whole economy/supply chain problem/etc. makes it VERY hard to earn a living on commissions from vehicle sales in the U.S. I had my first two sales consultants quit before it arrived. I suspect this is contributing to the entire issue. I'm not sure it is limited to JLR. If you can order a vehicle, you're lucky and many are treating it this way.

Re: the accessories. That's going to be quite variable. It all depends on your ability and your willingness to F' it up and your tolerance for just dropping the dollars. I was slayed with the full Mitchell hour rates to do basic parts installs at $180/hr labor rate. If I had a magic reset, I would have DEFINITELY just done it myself. PowerfulUK and others have fantastic videos. If you have the time and don't mind parking it while you get it done, that's an option.

Another consideration is to find a Land Rover mechanic/shop not associated with a dealer. Most larger cities have them. I'm pretty confident that any location big enough to support a JLR dealer or two is likely to have one.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
Great experience ordering from myroverparts.com
Maybe I just need to pick up the phone no call them, but having trouble finding the accessories on their website. Did find the expedition rack for the D90 with a little discount, but they have noted as a local pickup only… looking to order the front skid plate with reinforced tow ring as well as the air compressor. All of which I’d like to instal myself.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Jjirish that seems to mimic my experience. Frankly, the whole economy/supply chain problem/etc. makes it VERY hard to earn a living on commissions from vehicle sales in the U.S. I had my first two sales consultants quit before it arrived. I suspect this is contributing to the entire issue. I'm not sure it is limited to JLR. If you can order a vehicle, you're lucky and many are treating it this way.

Re: the accessories. That's going to be quite variable. It all depends on your ability and your willingness to F' it up and your tolerance for just dropping the dollars. I was slayed with the full Mitchell hour rates to do basic parts installs at $180/hr labor rate. If I had a magic reset, I would have DEFINITELY just done it myself. PowerfulUK and others have fantastic videos. If you have the time and don't mind parking it while you get it done, that's an option.

Another consideration is to find a Land Rover mechanic/shop not associated with a dealer. Most larger cities have them. I'm pretty confident that any location big enough to support a JLR dealer or two is likely to have one.
thank you! With jeeps I'm totally comfortable doing mods bc after 25 yrs I know jeeps pretty darn well.....but venturing into the land of JLR terrifies me bc it just doesnt look like "ease of assembly" was ever a thought during the design process and borderlines on "lets make this hard as %!? to install" (jlr laughing the whole time).... the side steps alone made me shake my head with WTH were they thinking??? Ive spent less time installing power retractable steps on my jeep than these basic steps will take on the jlr. But I always wanted a range "Mom will kill me if she knows I took the range " love that movie.... and the defender is the only squared off that made me go "oh hell yeah thats me" so now Im lost in jlr world, with a growing list of wanted accessories, a workbench littered with lil accessory additions and wheels everywhere. Guess I will be selling the tires and wheels that are coming on "Pepe" (don't ask, I was partaking when I suddenly named my defender, I've never named a vehicle before!). Around here I don't know any places I would trust other than the dealership for assembly. I haven't seen 1 defender in town yet either 🤔.so no owner to corner and talk to. I don't really care abt the $ aspect.... I mean.... I'm a jeep girl... we joyfully throw money at our jeeps ( my guest room is overflowing with new modes I have yet to install on my 21jlrubi- it will be dear daughters jeep in December hence the horrible pink accessories KMN) but I don't like getting taken advantage of with labor costs. Bottom line I guess I will try and get a heads up if any accessories have been ordered for me and whatever hasn't, then I will seek and buy. I'm assuming jlr has no problem with me shipping the large items directly to the dealership? I'll ask. Anyhoo. Thank you.... 😊

Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

I get your hesitancy. There's lots of members ( @TrioLRowner and @2oolander come to mind) who dive straight in and do their mods. My anxiety is that there's a STEEP tuition payment for mistakes when it comes to JLR vehicles. It's not that you can/cannot, it's just expensive when you develop the scar tissue of experience. These aren't simple vehicles, but neither are most rolling out of show rooms. Even Simon (PowerfulUk videos) puts his team on the bodywork. You can tell from his voice that there's a margin of concern there as he goofs on his guys when they are removing panels. The decision for me will be more around time. Do I have the time to do it. At my age, time is most valuable! I've been beating up trucks for years and want to work on my own Defender - I'll just be tactical in what I want someone else to do. For example, I would LOVE to do the winch install, but with my other commitments my ability to put focus on it, it would take MONTHS for it to complete.

Jjirish (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 11:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the site listing. I just went to the site and I don't see any option in the "year" dropdown for 2022? did I miss it? Do we know what 2021 parts will or will not fit the 2022? Hope this is not a silly question.....

Ahparke (06-24-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Land Rover Parts Center in US

I would caution all against Land Rover Parts Center in The US. Their website is Shop OEM Land Rover Parts & Accessories | Land Rover Merriam Parts. I order mudflaps from them and were received in a reasonable time and such. However, I returned 4 weeks ago as I decided they were going to work as I wanted with teh gloss black on the 21 HSE. I spent $50 returning and they are not responding to refund requests. I had a feeling that was going to happen as I got a snarky email reply when I told them I was returning.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsonmc2000
I would caution all against Land Rover Parts Center in The US. Their website is Shop OEM Land Rover Parts & Accessories | Land Rover Merriam Parts. I order mudflaps from them and were received in a reasonable time and such. However, I returned 4 weeks ago as I decided they were going to work as I wanted with teh gloss black on the 21 HSE. I spent $50 returning and they are not responding to refund requests. I had a feeling that was going to happen as I got a snarky email reply when I told them I was returning.
Yes, I got a bad vibe from their website. A bit too opaque.

I have had nothing but good experiences with MYROVERPARTS (Delaware) and from LAND ROVER FAIRFIELD (Connecticut). They offer almost the exact same low prices.

Ahparke (06-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Directly ordering parts in the US?