Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Does this matter?

I built a all black Defender and added the "Gloss black signature graphic" for $200 more and when I change between the signature graphic and the gloss black signature graphic I can see the slight change. The dealer that ordered my Defender said he couldn't add the Gloss black signature graphic because the car was already black. Will the colors be noticeably different in person and is it normal that the dealer can't add it?

Old 07-30-2022, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

So I wondered the same as my '23.5MY 130 order is in Santorini Black (a metallic black) and the Gloss Black Signature Graphic is Narvik Black. Unless you order a Black Contrast Roof, you can't get the Gloss Black Signature Graphic sadly, even though the build and price allows it; the ordering system doesn't. If you get Santorini Black for the exterior color, the graphic will be the same metallic black.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

The metallic definitely does not 'hide' into the window glass quite the same if that is what you are getting at. It seems that most people are getting the gloss black graphic because they hate the body color square and want to hide it. So, on that criteria it won't be quite as good. That said, you're getting a black car and it will still be pretty subtle. Further, once the car is dirty, nobody will be able to notice. So do what I do and only wash the thing every three weeks or so. Why not just conform to the ordering system and get the gloss black roof and side graphic if it bothers you? That way, you are metallic black all below the belt line and then tinted glass and gloss black above. I think it would be fine. Or is your aversion spending $1000 on a painted roof that literally nobody will notice is a different color?

Last edited by CombatNinja; 07-31-2022 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Royalist (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
The metallic definitely does not 'hide' into the window glass quite the same if that is what you are getting at. It seems that most people are getting the gloss black graphic because they hate the body color square and want to hide it. So, on that criteria it won't be quite as good. That said, you're getting a black car and it will still be pretty subtle. Further, once the car is dirty, nobody will be able to notice. So do what I do and only wash the thing every three weeks or so. Why not just conform to the ordering system and get the gloss black roof and side graphic if it bothers you? That way, you are metallic black all below the belt line and then tinted glass and gloss black above. I think it would be fine. Or is your aversion spending $1000 on a painted roof that literally nobody will notice is a different color?
thats true about the blending in more but the OP wants Black as the main exterior color, and can’t get Santorini Black with the Black Contrast roof (Narvik black) for obvious reasons.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Oh, didn't know you could not get black contrast roof with metallic black paint. The first couple of posts above made it sound like you could do that, my bad. OP, just do what I do and refuse to buy black cars. It's a lifestyle decision, too much upkeep. They only look good for 35 seconds after you wash them.

The following 2 users liked this post by CombatNinja:
SoCalDef (08-02-2022), WTFChuck (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Oh, didn't know you could not get black contrast roof with metallic black paint. The first couple of posts above made it sound like you could do that, my bad. OP, just do what I do and refuse to buy black cars. It's a lifestyle decision, too much upkeep. They only look good for 35 seconds after you wash them.
or don’t do what I do: not buy a black car and regret it…black is honestly the best exterior paint on any car.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
So I wondered the same as my '23.5MY 130 order is in Santorini Black (a metallic black) and the Gloss Black Signature Graphic is Narvik Black. Unless you order a Black Contrast Roof, you can't get the Gloss Black Signature Graphic sadly, even though the build and price allows it; the ordering system doesn't. If you get Santorini Black for the exterior color, the graphic will be the same metallic black.
How does the Black contrast roof look on a Santorini defender in person? I might switch to the black contrast roof.
Originally Posted by Royalist
or don’t do what I do: not buy a black car and regret it…black is honestly the best exterior paint on any car.
All my vehicles are black. I cant go back to any other color lol.

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JimmyAK
How does the Black contrast roof look on a Santorini defender in person? I might switch to the black contrast roof.

All my vehicles are black. I cant go back to any other color lol.
No I’m saying if you get a Santorini Black Defender, you cannot get the Black Contrast Roof (because there’s nothing to contrast) haha. Just like you can’t get a Yulong White Defender with a White Contrast Roof, even though it’s Fuji on top.