2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining water from the frame. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 08:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts
Default Draining water from the frame. Possible?

Does anyone know if there is a drain plug for the frame?

If water gets in, say for example, from a leaking cooler in the trunk or snow melt, is there a way to open a drain?

I guess for a small volume, in such a big monocoque, simply opening the trunk floor, and panels under the seats and leaving the Defender in the sun with doors or windows open will allow slow but inevitable evaporation in due course.

If there is a drain plug or plugs, one could jack it up and leave it on an angle, open the drain, and close it up when done.

I've seen some posts on Facebook where folks had longstanding rain leaks. The whole subfloor filled up soaking their car-mats. That's got to be 10's of gallons. Not sure how it was drained.

Curious if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Lol, what did you do now?

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (05-23-2022), GrouseK9 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

please.... do tell more 😂😊

Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Please, make something up if needed... Make it epic.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Y'all don't think much of me.

A cooler of water leaked on our drive. I've already removed a lot just via sunshine and evaporation.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I was doing the Moab Rim Trail when my 20 year old Yeti (edit: cooler) decided to slide more than the Defender and puked it's contents all over the boot. I didn't mind cleaning up the ice so much as drinking warm Lone Star at the end of the ride....

Something like that next time, please.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-23-2022 at 11:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
GavinC (05-23-2022), TrioLRowner (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

I’ve been shaking my head in wonder since I first read the original post, ‘Is there a drain plug for the frame’. The logistics of the question are baffling, such that with all the nooks, crannies and crevices in a complex vehicle frame that a single plug would effectively’ drain the frame’. Now there will be a flood of owners insisting that JLR was negligent in not providing one. Need a drain, get out your drill bit. LMAO. New stuff here every day, keeps me coming back for the entertainment factor.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
I’ve been shaking my head in wonder since I first read the original post, ‘Is there a drain plug for the frame’. The logistics of the question are baffling, such that with all the nooks, crannies and crevices in a complex vehicle frame that a single plug would effectively’ drain the frame’. Now there will be a flood of owners insisting that JLR was negligent in not providing one. Need a drain, get out your drill bit. LMAO. New stuff here every day, keeps me coming back for the entertainment factor.

Glad I could brighten your day mate.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I was doing the Moab Rim Trail when my 20 year old Yeti decided to slide more than the Defender and puked it's contents all over the boot. I didn't mind cleaning up the ice so much as drinking warm Lone Star at the end of the ride.... having to get morning-drunk on mezcal before it all got warm. The kids helped so it wasn't bad. Turns out my 11yo can really hold her liquor. Not her first time driving me home after I've passed out. She's getting pretty good at it. I'm kinda getting tired of them drawing ***** on my forehead every time though.
Now that's good parenting. I mean, look how I turned out.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Your question actually reminded me of an issue that's on my list to report to the dealership next time I bring it in. Some of you may remember this post about my hitch receiver install. During that process, I actually discovered some rust that I am almost sure came from a leaky cooler situation of my own.

When removing the stock bumper from the frame, my buddy, who was helping me, got doused with rusty water that had somehow gotten into one of the bolt holes in the OEM bumper and failed to drain on its own, causing one of the bumper bolts to start rusting. The bumper itself was unaffected, being made of aluminum, as was the attachment point at the frame, which looked like it was powder coated (not totally sure). I was a bit surprised that the bolt was rusting, since it appeared to be galvanized. But I guess even a galvanized bolt can rust when surrounded by water long enough.

To me, this seems like a design flaw -- that water would be allowed to enter a structural area of the frame with no way to get out. Would it have eventually evaporated? Maybe. I don't recall how long it was between the cooler incident and the hitch receiver install.

I wish I had an answer to the original question, but unfortunately I suspect this water would have sat right where it was for quite a while, perhaps indefinitely, had I not done the hitch receiver install. Needless to say, I'm now very careful about letting water loose in the trunk area.

I'll report back after I raise the issue with the dealership, probably some time this summer.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Draining water from the frame. Possible?