Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

I have a new 2020 Defender. It has been experiencing severe issues with its electronics/technology. The car has even shut down while driving on a highway which created a safety issue for me and for others in traffic. I purchased the car from Fields Land Rover in Orlando. I was even told by the dealership that I should expect a new model to experience such issues. I informed them that this was outrageous and that the car should always operate reliably and safely. I have also contacted Land Rover North America about these issues and have received no response from them.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Ours hasn't shut down, but the infotainment system in these are pure and utter crap! This is the first and very last LR product this household will ever own. Ours has been "updated" 4 times since August, each time it has had issues. The clock doesn't read the same time all the time, the favorite stations aren't saved on radio and satellite, apple car play don't work right, it unsync's my wife's iPhone all the time. We have had the brake system warning light come on. The speed limit sign for the USA changes to the UK one. There is not one good thing I can say. I'm sorry, I know some people love theirs and haven't had any issues and if they do they can live with them. But when you pay what we paid ($82K US) for a vehicle, it shouldn't have issues like this, PERIOD. First year or not!

Oh, and ours has had a myriad of other issues, but I won't get into all those.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:42 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Is there a way to prevent unwanted updates? If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if you can not update it or not? Ours updates when we park it in the driveway and lock the doors. So I honestly can't say. But the mere fact that they need to be updated after only 4 months of ownership speaks volumes to the engineers who designed this thing.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is unfortunate how much the cars these days are based on electronics. I know you say no more range rovers, but what suv are you going to buy. Unless you are going to get a Lexus gx or lx which hasn't changed in over 10years and it shows, you won't find a similar suv that does not have electronic gremlins especially first year. It helps to have a dealer that is sympathetic and makes sure you get it fixed promptly.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:46 PM

We have no need for an SUV period. My wife wanted this one because she loves the size and looks of it. But we don't need one. She has always had 2 door coupes, so we would go back to that once thing is gone.

I have no issues with Lexus vehicles, owned 2 of them. Granted they aren't technology advanced as some, but they are tried and true. And not one time did they need to return to the dealer for issues.

As for dealership, ours is half *** at best.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my new Land Rover Defender today from Fields Land Rover Orlando. They had it for two days fixing a myriad of electronic issues. I left the dealership, and within 5 minutes I had to return with additional electronic issues. My "phone" would no longer sync, make a call, or connect with blue tooth. I inquired as to why they didn't notice this before I picked up the car. I was informed that they don't get paid to look for other possible issues, only the issues I reported when I brought in the Brand New Land Rover 2020 Defender. Now that I have identified a new problem, they will look into that. I am still waiting on the General Manager of the Dealership to contact me, and despite being promised by Land Rover North America that I would receive a call, a follow up, to ensure that I was a happy customer, I have received no call or follow up. I'm hardly a happy consumer. I'm waiting on JD Powers, Edmunds, Car and Driver, and Consumer Reports to start to report on all of these problems with a vehicle that has been promoted as the SUV of the year. A new vehicle should not be experiencing these types of issues. And, ignoring customers, will only create future plaintiffs.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Benjamin Butterfield
I picked up my new Land Rover Defender today from Fields Land Rover Orlando. They had it for two days fixing a myriad of electronic issues. I left the dealership, and within 5 minutes I had to return with additional electronic issues. My "phone" would no longer sync, make a call, or connect with blue tooth. I inquired as to why they didn't notice this before I picked up the car. I was informed that they don't get paid to look for other possible issues, only the issues I reported when I brought in the Brand New Land Rover 2020 Defender. Now that I have identified a new problem, they will look into that. I am still waiting on the General Manager of the Dealership to contact me, and despite being promised by Land Rover North America that I would receive a call, a follow up, to ensure that I was a happy customer, I have received no call or follow up. I'm hardly a happy consumer. I'm waiting on JD Powers, Edmunds, Car and Driver, and Consumer Reports to start to report on all of these problems with a vehicle that has been promoted as the SUV of the year. A new vehicle should not be experiencing these types of issues. And, ignoring customers, will only create future plaintiffs.
AMEN! I feel your pain! And your dealership sounds exactly like ours!

Old 12-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Butterfield

Keep track of the days in the shop and the number of repair attempts made for specific issues.

https://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf...256cc9005da68a

And why is phone in quotes? Is it "not" a phone?

Nate

Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi guys- did you see software explanation email put out this morning by Landrover? It does a pretty good job of explaining the process. I think a key point is that you need a properly set up “In Control” account to leverage the built in 4G connection for updates OR you need to connect to Wi-FI at home at night to get updates. There is a thread called annoying software updates that basically chronicles many others experiences on this point. I added a spreadsheet of my observations there which I keep adding to and actually send to my dealer.

I think most of us would say the updates have been a good thing as our cars now perform more like the manual. We also seem to agree that dealers appear in the dark about this process to some extent. I have not had drivability issues with my P300 but have seen much improvement in the Pivi Pro and some safety features such as Lane Keep Assist. For my two cents I would immediately get my vehicle connected to Wi-FI (SETTINGS>CONNECTIVITY) and then search for available updates(SETTINGS>SOFTWARE UPDATES).

I was an early October delivery and have since received 2.0.4, 2.0.5 and 2.0.6. Not to mention numerous “Live App” updates. For me 2.0.4 stopped the odd British road signs and stabilized the system. The other two kept improving things.

Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
DefenderSmitty (12-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues