2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020 | 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Nate, I had the same issue with my 2021 X-Dynamic HSE build. Took several conversations with the dealer but they finally ended up confirming that the ediff is only available with the off road pack or X trim. I ended up pushing my delivery date so that I could have it.

Old 12-10-2020 | 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MNDefender
Nate, I had the same issue with my 2021 X-Dynamic HSE build. Took several conversations with the dealer but they finally ended up confirming that the ediff is only available with the off road pack or X trim. I ended up pushing my delivery date so that I could have it.
I hear ya. Not sure if my post helps things or not.
Nate

Old 12-10-2020 | 06:05 PM
Winching

Methinks the dealer is confusing Defender X and Defender X-Dynamic models. Land Rover doesn't help matters by choosing such moronically similar trim names for very differently equipped vehicles, and confusing "Build Your Own'" configurator on their web site.

Old 12-10-2020 | 07:22 PM
Winching

Zero priced options on the configurator are not confusing...its just simply misleading....bundling into their off road tires is a waste

Old 12-10-2020 | 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by todkavonic
I asked my salesperson this exact question. Here's the response

"Hello Nate,

Great question, the configurator can be confusing, because 0 cost options which are standard appear

to be elgible to be checked or unchecked when in the configurator. The electronic active differential

with torque vectoring by braking is standard in the Defender X. So yes to answer your question it does

have it as well with Terrain response 1 and 2 and All terrain progress Control!"

FYI I ordered an x-dynamic HSE with the towing package. If I have it, great. If not, hey, I've never once, in two years, used the locking differential feature on my Rubicon and I never used it on the G-wagon. I think I had that rig for 5 years. I'm just not that off-roady I guess

Nate
To be clear, the Rubicon and the G wagon use what now must be called "old-fashioned", on/off lockers. These only may activate in extreme conditions, as they will always cause both rear wheels to rotate at the same rate -- with the two rear axles turning together. This is the same as for the LR4 and LR3 and all other prior, traditional locking diffs (including those on tractors, trucks, etc.)

The clutched center and rear diffs on the new JLR products (and some German coupes -- Audi most notably) come on much more often, transferring partial power across axles and front to rear to shift only the power needed to keep the wheels maintaining traction in the manner to work as hard as necessary, while not slipping -- lessening the force to avoid slipping and increasing it where slipping does not occur. Thus, torque is vectored decisively to each wheel(s), constantly. The result is that driving in both on and off road conditions are improved, visible wheel slip is greatly reduced (a marked difference), performance handling is improved, towing is improved (as the rear diff. is fully locked at launch -- if you travel straight ahead), and off-road trail damage is decreased.

I think the Evoque was a test bed to see if the clutch wear was reasonable and to refine and test the software which evolved into what is being called Terrain response 2. When I bought mine, I did not know it was a test ---- only that the technology was extremely promising. (And my wife thought it the cutest stylistic vehicle ever designed).

Or so I figure on all this -- JLR marketing has not published much detail. But, the technical press has articles here and there which support this understanding. In any case, it is why I bought a Defender -- and off-road or on I have not been disappointed in its capability. Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-10-2020 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
todkavonic (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 07:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The Honda SH-AWD system is similar as it sends power to each wheel individually. On our Honda Passport, you can call up a display screen that shows a bar graph of how much torque is being applied to each wheel. All 4 when accelerating from a stop, more to one side when on a fast curve or exit ramp, mostly front at cruising speeds, etc. We had the Passport offroad on a beach in soft sand and it's AWD system is far more capable than I ever suspected. Of course it also has "terrain response" settings for different surfaces. (Great idea, stolen from the LR3)