Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expain Electronic Active Differential To Me Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 06:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expain Electronic Active Differential To Me Please

New kid here. Long time Rubicon owner I guess I've had 4. Love my new 2022 Defender. I'm just trying to figure out the Electronic Active Differential. I'm assuming this is an auto feature and not manually selected. If it is I can't seem to figure out where to select it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by sheephunter2
New kid here. Long time Rubicon owner I guess I've had 4. Love my new 2022 Defender. I'm just trying to figure out the Electronic Active Differential. I'm assuming this is an auto feature and not manually selected. If it is I can't seem to figure out where to select it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Yes, it’s auto. Electronic active differential with torque vectoring by braking is what the defender has if the vehicle is equipped with it as it’s an option.

if you turn on the 3D camera and select “off-road” on the piviPro, you will see the center as well as the rear differential getting locked and unlocked on the fly on the screen while you are going through different road conditions.

“The optional Electronic Active Differential ensures the greatest level of traction. It does so by controlling the slip between the left and right wheels on the rear axle, helping to deliver effortless capability.”

The Torque Vectoring by Braking system delivers responsive, controlled cornering and handling through even the tightest of bends. The electronic differential and vehicle’s braking system constantly balance the distribution of engine torque between the four wheels when cornering.”

The benefits of the active electronic differential is not only for off-road purpose, as the torque vectoring also provides additional stability and traction on-road as well. One instance would be when you are cornering on highway, the vehicle would feel like it’s running on rail. Hence, many high performance sport cars are equipped with torque vectoring.

The following users liked this post:
Dndicicco (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@sheephunter2 - The biggest thing you will have to take a mind-shift on with the Defender is how much of the bloody thing just goes on auto-pilot because it is simply astonishingly smart. Sometimes things are practically boring because it takes care of the details. As an old school Jeep owner (haven't driven one in decades though), all the things I would think I would take care of - it's best if I just got out of the way! Pick the mode, increase height, and push the accelerator.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:42 PM
4wd Low

Thank You Sirs. I thought that was probably the case but figured I'd ask. It is a very capable vehicle indeed, light years ahead of the jeeps I've driven for 30 years. I have an X Dynamic SE and it has everything I need and then some. I especially like the towing capacity and quickness. It is fast. Has the same horsepower as my 2000 M5. I doubt that I will take it to Moab rock crawling although it is only 3 hours away. I've had it 3 weeks and it has already been on an elk hunt here in Colorado and an antelope hunt in Wyoming and got around admirably. I am thinking about replacing the Goodyear Adventures with BFG KO2's in 275/55 R20's however. I really like those from my jeep days. I am also getting the Land Rover Winch put on as well. I guess it is quite a project that is best done at the dealership. In talking with my off road shop that has put winches on several of my jeeps they won't touch it.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Many of my on-line heroes have put on their own winches (one in a weekend!), but I'm more of a turtle in that kind of race. I did the math and it would take me about two months of weekend hours before I would finish. I'm too old for that and just had a local (fantastic) 3rd party Land Rover service team do it. To me: DEFINITELY glad I had someone else do it. Check out if there are any LR 3rd parties out there. The mystique that a Dealer is exceptionally better than others is a joke. The only bricked Defenders that I've heard about are from dealers that do it and didn't realize how damaging the harness could total a Defender. You mention Colorado: from what I've seen on-line, I'd switch my opinions if I lived in Denver - they have a legendary Dealership that mods Defenders. Well, their VP of Sales does and that's good enough for me.

Not an ad, just an endorsement of good service I had: I took mine down to San Antonio to Hill Country British and would recommend their work.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 10-21-2021 at 07:13 AM.
NoGaBiker (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:54 AM
4wd Low

Yup Land Rover Denver is where I bought mine and will be doing the mods for me. I believe that is the dealership you are speaking of. I have seen the you tube videos of Steve and his Defender.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Sheephunter2:

Basically, the electronic rear diff. has two clutches in it (one for left and one for right). The center diff. has two clutches (one for front and one for rear). The clutches are infinitely variable (not on-off). The adjustment is fully electronic (not mechanical -- not like a minimum slip differential).

The clutches are extremely fast and gentle -- indiscernible from the sense of the driver. Effective use of them requires:

a) uniform torque (new engines with turbo control variation provide flat torque),

b) electronic throttle control and electronic gearing selection (no manual transmission- allowed, no direct input from the driver on the actual engine rpm) to enable effective use of computer logic.

c) idealized use of sensoring information (20 years of focused, proprietary experience),

d) proven clutch wear capability (confirmation thorough use in the Evoque and off-road race vehicles),

e) integration with fast braking by individual wheels (a very tricky proposal -- the Freelander, Discovery 2, and Evoque test bed experiments brought to the fore the difficulty of this challenge and how to make the integration seamless and most effective).

f) clutching and braking integration with electronically variable air / magnetic strut suspension spring rates -- becomes critical in slippery, washboard roads at speed.

A key here is driver techique --- steady, held input of throttle control angle from the driver is really important to allow the sensor logic to work. Steady, 50 rpm stepped increases from 1200 to 2500 rpms when helping the vehicle find traction.

Wheel spinning is necessary. This technique is different to what makes a skilled off-road driver in an old-school vehicle. This shift is a significant mental and emotional challenge, for sure.

I am very interested to see how long it will take for this approach to filter down to the CJ - bred Jeeps. Or maybe the CJ is destined to forever remain akin to a big-engine Harley-Davidson -- primarily an expression of a shared lifestyle?

Enjoy !!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-21-2021 at 08:49 AM.
PaulLR (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Many of my on-line heroes have put on their own winches (one in a weekend!), but I'm more of a turtle in that kind of race. I did the math and it would take me about two months of weekend hours before I would finish. I'm too old for that and just had a local (fantastic) 3rd party Land Rover service team do it. To me: DEFINITELY glad I had someone else do it. Check out if there are any LR 3rd parties out there. The mystique that a Dealer is exceptionally better than others is a joke. The only bricked Defenders that I've heard about are from dealers that do it and didn't realize how damaging the harness could total a Defender. You mention Colorado: from what I've seen on-line, I'd switch my opinions if I lived in Denver - they have a legendary Dealership that mods Defenders. Well, their VP of Sales does and that's good enough for me.

Not an ad, just an endorsement of good service I had: I took mine down to San Antonio to Hill Country British and would recommend their work.
I'm seeing you're in my area, did you make it out to the Hill Country Rover Rally last weekend? I was in my trusty RRS:

In terms of a rear locker, I opted for it for my 110 coming January - not really for the extra capability, but for the resellability as my bare bones build will attract overland folk later down the road.

At least with the first-generation Terrain Response systems (like in the LR3 and L320 RRS), having the rear locker didn't add much of an edge as the TR system was very effective. In my years of off-roading my open rear diff'd RRS - I never ran into a situation where I couldn't make it past an obstacle. I'd see locked LR3's going over the same obstacles with slightly less slip.

Can't wait to take my 110 on the same trails to compare it to the RRS!

TrioLRowner (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

[QUOTE=TrioLRowner;797137
A key here is driver techique --- steady, held input of throttle control angle from the driver is really important to allow the sensor logic to work. Steady, 50 rpm stepped increases from 1200 to 2500 rpms when helping the vehicle find traction -- wheel spinning is necessary.

This technique is different to what makes a skilled off-road driver in an old-school vehicle. This shift is a mental and emotional challenge for sure. [/QUOTE]

^This! No need for low gear or airing down the tires in deep soft sand. Select sand mode, maintain throttle input and it will simply go forward. Amazing!

Old 10-21-2021, 08:56 AM
4wd Low

Good advice guys. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Expain Electronic Active Differential To Me Please