Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expedition Roof Rack vs Thule Crossbars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 03:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Expedition Roof Rack vs Thule Crossbars

Would love to hear pros and cons from those who have either. I was convinced I was just going to get crossbars and then use a Thule cargo box or the Thule roof basket when needed. Maybe a Thule Step Up to access the roof. However, now that I've found there is an all black version of the expedition roof rack and an all black version of the LR ladder that I could add, I don't know...

My general pros and cons are:

Crossbars:
I can leave them on all the time and they don't really interfere with anything I'm doing.
They don't make much noise when they're up there alone
They do look nice in all black
Thule makes solid roof rack setups so I know I could pack anything I need up there no worries
They're really all I'd ever "need" because I could put a Thule roof basket on them when needed, or hang an awning off the side easily enough
They're cheaper (but not by as much as you'd think...)
Super easy to take off if/when I want to
Have to carry around some version of a step to easily reach them when out in the wild
If I get something like the Thule Aeroblade Edge crossbars, they sit a little lower and not so high up off the roof

Roof Rack
Looks very nice on top of a Defender
Will cause a little more noise than the crossbars I'm sure, but how much?
Flat loading area with multiple bars gives a LOT of options for roof boxes, mounts, awnings, etc (all while minding the weight of course...)
Ladder along with the roof rack makes accessing the roof much easier when needed
These both seem more of a "permanent" solution that I know I could remove as needed but likely wouldn't. They'd stay on all the time.
Roof rack limits visibility from the panoramic sunroof (but how much)? I like having the sunshade back for light in the cabin even if the sunroof is closed.
Roof rack and ladder means things like my automatic car wash are out. (The crossbars are easy enough to remove I'd likely stick with my monthly car wash membership)
Roof rack and ladder are one of those things that looks totally badass but would I use them enough to merit the extra cost/weight/hassle of having them on

Anyway, owners of either setup, please weigh in. I know this conversation has been had before, but I also we love talking about our vehicles, so... proceed.

For reference of where I'm starting, here is my Defender. Just put on these AT tires. (as you can see from this photo, a roof rack or cross bars won't really affect my parking under these string lights in our backyard, but anything on top of either is likely going to have to be considered. I'll run out of height real quick.)

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 397 Likes on 201 Posts

First off, I find they both, rack & crossbars, make roughly equal amounts of noise. It is just at a a different pitch. I like the crossbars for ski racks. If they are on and it snows on the car, much easier to clear the roof. I take both off when not in use. Crossbar are easier to store. I have in the past, used just crossbars for a RTT. If you plan to do extended field periods, yes you can store a bit more + the RTT, but not too terribly much or the vehicle gets top heavy and handles differently. Personally, I try not to put much up there as a matter of course, since in many remote places in the US SW and other parts of the world, it is just too tempting to 'remove' your stuff without your agreement. Should you need to stop in an urban area. You can always make it easier for these thoughtful folks by adding permant ladders and such for easier access. There is a budding market for 'removed' off-road accessories from roof racks and such on Craigslist. The real only item I tend to prefer to keep on the roof rack is a spare couple of gallons for the generator when I bring it to power my instruments in the field. Then again, since I got one of those LiPo battery, inverter, gizmo charger things with a couple of solar panels for a present. The generator is spending more time stored than used.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
First off, I find they both, rack & crossbars, make roughly equal amounts of noise. It is just at a a different pitch. I like the crossbars for ski racks. If they are on and it snows on the car, much easier to clear the roof. I take both off when not in use. Crossbar are easier to store. I have in the past, used just crossbars for a RTT. If you plan to do extended field periods, yes you can store a bit more + the RTT, but not too terribly much or the vehicle gets top heavy and handles differently. Personally, I try not to put much up there as a matter of course, since in many remote places in the US SW and other parts of the world, it is just too tempting to 'remove' your stuff without your agreement. Should you need to stop in an urban area. You can always make it easier for these thoughtful folks by adding permant ladders and such for easier access. There is a budding market for 'removed' off-road accessories from roof racks and such on Craigslist. The real only item I tend to prefer to keep on the roof rack is a spare couple of gallons for the generator when I bring it to power my instruments in the field. Then again, since I got one of those LiPo battery, inverter, gizmo charger things with a couple of solar panels for a present. The generator is spending more time stored than used.
This is great feedback. Thank you. To your point, even with a roof rack I wouldn't necessarily be loading it up with way too much weight. Part of why I was leaning toward crossbars early. Just need to be able to put a cargo box up there occasionally and get some things like small luggage pieces or our tent or cot up out of the way and not in the back of the Defender. Appreciate this input.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

If a cargo box is you main focus I'd go with the crossbars. Depending on your box, some require a cheap and simple mod to the rack to allow them to fit.

Modification here.

Thule Motion (what I have) have recesses in the floor designed for bars.
Just something to consider. It's an easy work around either way but thought I'd throw it out there. Also I think the all black ladder is an Alibamazon option. I'm not familiar with an all black OEM style rack but i guess the same is true. Urban or Vulkan no doubt sell them.

makristal (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in the same boat, trying to see if I can get smaller front runner rack to be used on occasion. Rack is easier to load than roofbox when using containers with straps.
All this because I'll have to delete rear spare tire due to parking constraints but I do have to haul it for remote places.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:47 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I decided to go budget and use the Thule solution below:
  • Thule Edge FixPoint 7207
  • Thule WingBar Edge 95 (aluminium) 7214
  • Thule Kit 187122
  • Thule Canyon XT Cargo Basket + Extension
Pros:
  • Approx half the price of the OEM solution - especially if buying second hand.
  • I could easily take the full kit on/off, on my own, roadside, with just an Allen key/wrench, and it packs away relatively small if storage space is an issue.
  • I didn't need a ladder or second person, I found using the rear door step + rear tyre was perfectly adequate and the aluminium basket is light enough to lift with one hand.
  • Given the amount of airspace under the frame, I was able to easily access straps and attachments without dinging the roof with buckles, etc.
Cons:
  • The U-bolt attachments for the cargo basket felt a little flimsy/prone. They held up very well, but I was expecting a slightly more advanced fixing solution than 8 wingnuts...
  • The plastic shrouds hiding the hardware connection between basket and roof bar did not fit very well. To the point where I couldn't use the supplied plastic bungs/locks to secure them. Instead I had to use zips ties. As you can see, this was a very minor detail - almost invisible, but it wasn't the quality I hoped for from Thule.
  • Subjective, but, the latest Thule solution for crossbars for the defender is pretty ugly and does not appear as seamless as their offerings for other vehicles/mounting systems. They have apparently repurposed a 'fixed point' foot solution, which looks kinda clunky sitting on top of the integrated roof rails. I was hoping it would be lower profile, but the OEM tracks + the plastic mountings + the edge feet raise the bars well above the antenna height. Adding the cargo basket on top looked really high and a bit clumsy. I definitely wasn't sneaking into height restricted carparks in the UK with this badboy on the roof. I also felt the slightly rounded design was a little dated looking. The Expedition rack would certainly win the looks contest in my eyes.
  • Waterproofing external storage (especially in the winter with freeze/thaw) was problematic for soft baggage. Hard cases, jerry cans, etc would of course be fine.
  • I also felt leaving soft storage on the roof was a little unsecure. I did use some bike lock cable as a deterrent, but taking a 2" pen knife to the nylon straps I'd looped it through would render my solution useless.
  • I was not about to stand on this thing, it'll take a reasonable load spread across the entire area, but I wouldn't focus my full weight in the middle of the basket...
For my personal situation - where I use a lot of carparks with 1.95m height restrictions (UK based), and the roof rack for occasional family holidays (soft sided baggage with 6 people + a dog inside), I wanted to run the defender without the rack for most of the time. And fit it when I needed it. So the crossbars were a good investment. The Canyon XT Basket was ok, but most of my storage needs is to carry I don't need it for overlanding with extra fuel and extraction mats - as such, and given the british weather, I ditched the basket and will be going for a roofbox instead to sit on the crossbars. Something that'll keep our clothes out of the rain and snow, and I can remove when not in use.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by XplusYplusZ
I decided to go budget and use the Thule solution below:
  • Thule Edge FixPoint 7207
  • Thule Kit 187122
  • Thule Canyon XT Cargo Basket + Extension
Pros:
  • Approx half the price of the OEM solution - especially if buying second hand.
  • I could easily take the full kit on/off, on my own, roadside, with just an Allen key/wrench, and it packs away relatively small if storage space is an issue.
  • I didn't need a ladder or second person, I found using the rear door step + rear tyre was perfectly adequate and the aluminium basket is light enough to lift with one hand.
  • Given the amount of airspace under the frame, I was able to easily access straps and attachments without dinging the roof with buckles, etc.
Cons:
  • The U-bolt attachments for the cargo basket felt a little flimsy/prone. They held up very well, but I was expecting a slightly more advanced fixing solution than 8 wingnuts...
  • The plastic shrouds hiding the hardware connection between basket and roof bar did not fit very well. To the point where I couldn't use the supplied plastic bungs/locks to secure them. Instead I had to use zips ties. As you can see, this was a very minor detail - almost invisible, but it wasn't the quality I hoped for from Thule.
  • Subjective, but, the latest Thule solution for crossbars for the defender is pretty ugly and does not appear as seamless as their offerings for other vehicles/mounting systems. They have apparently repurposed a 'fixed point' foot solution, which looks kinda clunky sitting on top of the integrated roof rails. I was hoping it would be lower profile, but the OEM tracks + the plastic mountings + the edge feet raise the bars well above the antenna height. Adding the cargo basket on top looked really high and a bit clumsy. I definitely wasn't sneaking into height restricted carparks in the UK with this badboy on the roof. I also felt the slightly rounded design was a little dated looking. The Expedition rack would certainly win the looks contest in my eyes.
  • Waterproofing external storage (especially in the winter with freeze/thaw) was problematic for soft baggage. Hard cases, jerry cans, etc would of course be fine.
  • I also felt leaving soft storage on the roof was a little unsecure. I did use some bike lock cable as a deterrent, but taking a 2" pen knife to the nylon straps I'd looped it through would render my solution useless.
  • I was not about to stand on this thing, it'll take a reasonable load spread across the entire area, but I wouldn't focus my full weight in the middle of the basket...
For my personal situation - where I use a lot of carparks with 1.95m height restrictions (UK based), and the roof rack for occasional family holidays (soft sided baggage with 6 people + a dog inside), I wanted to run the defender without the rack for most of the time. And fit it when I needed it. So the crossbars were a good investment. The Canyon XT Basket was ok, but most of my storage needs is to carry I don't need it for overlanding with extra fuel and extraction mats - as such, and given the british weather, I ditched the basket and will be going for a roofbox instead to sit on the crossbars. Something that'll keep our clothes out of the rain and snow, and I can remove when not in use.

Man those bars sit high up over the roof. Still, I think this is a reasonable setup that I am leaning toward for my 90. Maybe don't even need the roof basket. While it looks cool I don't know that I'd even use it as much as I would a good roof box. I would definitely use the box a fair amount I think. I know Thule makes some bars that will sit a little more low profile, but I'm still doing the research. I do like the way the ends of these bars look vs the T setup, but I also understand the T setup is more versatile since you can reach the ends of the rails at the end instead of them being inside the mounting point.

I REALLY appreciate the part numbers and the photos. Helps a ton. Also helps me visualize the roof basket and get a better idea of what it would look like on a 90 vs a 110. Probably would need to lose the extension out of the basket on a 90.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling

For those who were wondering about the all black ladder and roof rack, I found them through NDP Automotive out of the UK. You can see them here:

Ladder:
https://ndpautomotive.com/collection...42408405172468

Roof Rack:
https://ndpautomotive.com/collection...42408392491252

You can also get black crossbars through them:
https://ndpautomotive.com/collection...40918366355610

If anyone knows anything about the vendor, I'm open to hearing more about them too. I was messaging with a fellow named Chris there who was very helpful and had even lived here in NC for a few summers.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Black rack is also on Aliexpress. Looks to be the same kind in 110 size.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
If a cargo box is you main focus I'd go with the crossbars. Depending on your box, some require a cheap and simple mod to the rack to allow them to fit.

Modification here.

Thule Motion (what I have) have recesses in the floor designed for bars.
Just something to consider. It's an easy work around either way but thought I'd throw it out there. Also I think the all black ladder is an Alibamazon option. I'm not familiar with an all black OEM style rack but i guess the same is true. Urban or Vulkan no doubt sell them.

I went big baller and bought the kit from PowerfulUK Roof Box Spacer/Fitting Kit for Land Rover Defender L663 Expedition Roof Rack

Went to Whistler and it worked flawlessly.

GavinC (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Expedition Roof Rack vs Thule Crossbars