2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Wheel Arches from 110, work on a 130?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 02:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Extended Wheel Arches from 110, work on a 130?

I don't know if anyone's tried to do it yet. I know JLR has different part numbers for the extended wheel arches for the 110 and 130. This is the case for side steps too though 110 steps work just fine on 130.

The question is, will the 110 extended wheel arches work on the 130? With your answer, please let me know if you have actual experience with this, or if you're just going based on what you've read. Likely I've read the same thing but I'm not clear anyone's actually tried it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:57 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai
I don't know if anyone's tried to do it yet. I know JLR has different part numbers for the extended wheel arches for the 110 and 130. This is the case for side steps too though 110 steps work just fine on 130.

The question is, will the 110 extended wheel arches work on the 130? With your answer, please let me know if you have actual experience with this, or if you're just going based on what you've read. Likely I've read the same thing but I'm not clear anyone's actually tried it?

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that they don't. I have a 110 and my wife has a 130. I have the extended wheel arches on my 110, and my wife wanted them for her 130. I ordered a set of 110 extended wheel arches from PowerfulUK, and I can say that they do not fit the 130. I have to order the 130 extended wheel arches from the dealer. On another note, if anyone has a 110 and lives in the US and wants to buy the extended wheel arches I have here (still in the box) message me. I looked into returning them from the US to PowerfulUK and the shipping cost just doesn't make sense.

Tim

The following users liked this post:
catman (06-16-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yocut33m
I can tell you that they don't. I have a 110 and my wife has a 130. I have the extended wheel arches on my 110, and my wife wanted them for her 130. I ordered a set of 110 extended wheel arches from PowerfulUK, and I can say that they do not fit the 130. I have to order the 130 extended wheel arches from the dealer. On another note, if anyone has a 110 and lives in the US and wants to buy the extended wheel arches I have here (still in the box) message me. I looked into returning them from the US to PowerfulUK and the shipping cost just doesn't make sense.

Tim
Tim what about it doesn't work? I am not questioning your experience. I'm simply trying to learn about what exactly does not line up?

Picture (1) here of the 110 and picture (2) 130 clearly show a difference in the rear bumper. However in picture (3) I show a dealership photo of a 130 with the JLR over fenders. What is interesting here is that you can see the over fenders seem to cover the extra "tab' or arch section of the bumper on the 130. So I have a theory that the wider fenders will simply cover the rear bumper in that spot and there is no real issue?

Obviously you have a real world/use case experience so again not doubting you, I'm just trying to learn what the real issue is to see if its worth modifying. You can buy panted 110 fenders for less than $500. 130 fenders appear to be over $1000 + paint if you're so inclined. If its a case of a few tweaks I'm considering rolling the dice. But your input would be super helpful.

(1)

(2)

(3)

Old 06-13-2023, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Yeah, you're on the right track with picture #2. The difference is in the part behind the tire.

Here are pictures of my 110 and my wife's 130:

This is my wife's 130, the area behind the tire has a bit of a bump

This is my 110, the part behind the tire is flat, no bump.

This is the 110 extended wheel arch protection fitted on the 130, it won't look right because of the lil bump.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:29 PM
Drifting

After looking at the Land Rover instructions (https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...S?uid=G3271847) I'm questioning myself.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, you're on the right track with picture #2. The difference is in the part behind the tire.

Here are pictures of my 110 and my wife's 130:

This is my wife's 130, the area behind the tire has a bit of a bump

This is my 110, the part behind the tire is flat, no bump.

This is the 110 extended wheel arch protection fitted on the 130, it won't look right because of the lil bump.
Clearest explanation I've seen yet. So to clarify though, in this picture in particular, Is your 'thin' arch strip removed and the extended arch just sitting sort of in place? If so I can sort of see what little bump you're referring to. But I'm not 100% clear I see where the bump is you're talking about. is it on the fender panel? is it on the bumper? Is it that the arch itself isn't long enough' to meet he bumper?

I guess there is only so much that can be gleaned from pics. The bottom line is its not straight forward. Since I do not quite understand, I am sure this question is a dumb one, but can you glean whether any sort of 'relatively easy' modification can be done to make it work? My guess is there is 'gap there' that just simply wont be easily filled and ultimately wont look good.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:11 PM
Drifting

In the picture above, I didn't remove the thin arch strip. I put the extended wheel arch in place where it would go. I did that when I received the extended wheel arches just to make sure they fit. The front wheel arch isn't an issue at all. But, the rear of the extended wheel arch leaves a gap,

I can gently remove the thin arch protector and see if that changes things, but from placing the extended wheel arch over the thin one, there is a gap

Old 06-13-2023, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Just confirmed that this extended wheel arch for the 110 will not fit the 130. And it is because of the bump on the rear “bumper piece” behind the rear tire.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Just confirmed that this extended wheel arch for the 110 will not fit the 130. And it is because of the bump on the rear “bumper piece” behind the rear tire.
How did you confirm this? I've read everything you've said. thank you for the additional picture showing that space. Totally makes sense now.

BUT the question I still have is once you remove the original slim trim, is it possible that the extended arch might actually end up coming low enough to meet body line '2' as vs stopping at body line '1' and then simply cover over it as per the instruction illustration you showed previously?

Again looking at how the JLR 130 piece is supposed to fit from this dealer photo it clearly does cover over that 'bumper bump'

The implication ultimately is that the 130 piece is some how LONGER to to meet body line #2 vs body line #1. But some how I just cant see JLR having done that. I guess its totally possible since they did make a different quarter panel and bumper for the 130 vs the 110. And would even be feasible that they did so with the joining point ever so slightly different for the express intention of getting to charge more to 130 owners with a 'different' piece.

Its just so hard to tell in pics because we're literally talking 1" difference here.

In the end, did you end up buying 130 specific pieces for your wife's 130? If so, it would be great if you could compare the actual two pieces in this situation. Just to see if one is physically 'longer' than the other.

I know I'm like a dog with a bone here, but I can't just bring myself mentally to spend $500-$1000 more for what is possibly 1" of extra material to cover that gap. I'm seriously starting to consider figuring out a solution by figuring a way to 3D print something.

I also started to wonder if the OEM 130 specific Mud flaps might some how cover that area.

Last edited by starbai; 06-13-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:05 PM
Drifting

It appears as though the difference is only in the back of the rear wheel arch. Here is the view of the 130 rear wheel arch (from the fitting instructions link above)

You’ll see how it isn’t even and overlaps, which fills in the gap shown in my picture earlier.

in the 110, the rear wheel arch is even with the rear plastic piece, shown below:

I’m not sure how much you’d be able to fill in if you use the 110 arch vs 130.

I am ordering the extended wheel arch kit for the 130. I’ll post pictures of the 110 vs 130 so you can see the differences.

hope this all helps!

Tim

The following users liked this post:
starbai (06-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Extended Wheel Arches from 110, work on a 130?