2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior side-mounted gear carrier - what do you use it for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exterior side-mounted gear carrier - what do you use it for?

(context: doing build homework)

This: EXTERIOR SIDE-MOUNTED GEAR CARRIER

I'm tempted to get this box because there's no such thing as too much storage, but on the other hand - it will impact drag, restrict visibility, might catch extra branches, may look like an easy theft target (not implying it is, though), off the top of my head. If you have it and find it useful, what do you carry in it?

PS: It's a part of the Explorer Pack which I'm considering dropping from the build and replacing with individual options, there's too much stuff in it that I don't need - mudflaps not for my terrain, hood decal with no practical value, wheel arch protection that might be worse off then chequered body protection kit (another option I need to investigate, words of wisdom would be appreciated).

Top Answer

01-16-2023, 04:52 AM
Ludders54
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

You’d be surprised how much glare the bonnet decal can prevent to be fair, it’s more practical than a visible decal. As for the side gear carrier, I used to call it my Thirst Aid Kit, then changed to store anything that is needed at hand in a quick manner…. i.e recovery straps, gloves etc. each to their own 😉

Old 01-16-2023, 02:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadiable Paradox
(context: doing build homework)

This: EXTERIOR SIDE-MOUNTED GEAR CARRIER

I'm tempted to get this box because there's no such thing as too much storage, but on the other hand - it will impact drag, restrict visibility, might catch extra branches, may look like an easy theft target (not implying it is, though), off the top of my head. If you have it and find it useful, what do you carry in it?

PS: It's a part of the Explorer Pack which I'm considering dropping from the build and replacing with individual options, there's too much stuff in it that I don't need - mudflaps not for my terrain, hood decal with no practical value, wheel arch protection that might be worse off then chequered body protection kit (another option I need to investigate, words of wisdom would be appreciated).
I would think the wheel arch kit is more often equipped for looks rather than protection (mainly why I did it). I will say when I fill up for gas and undo the gas cap and let it hang and bounce against the wheel arch protection I feel like I got my money's worth 😂 always drove me crazy when those rested on the paint in previous cars.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by inater
I would think the wheel arch kit is more often equipped for looks rather than protection (mainly why I did it).
My focus is Arizona Pinstripe I have no idea about the damage pattern this vegetation will put on this vehicle's body, but I know for sure mirrors will get scratched. Those two kits I mentioned in OP are mutually exclusive, though. I can see how protecting the front side of wheel arches and mirrors will help, but can't see how having protection on the back side of D pillars will help.
Originally Posted by inater
I will say when I fill up for gas and undo the gas cap and let it hang and bounce against the wheel arch protection I feel like I got my money's worth 😂 always drove me crazy when those rested on the paint in previous cars.
FWIW, I had a car for 19 years with a gas cap like that, bought new - not a scratch there.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:52 AM
Mudding

You’d be surprised how much glare the bonnet decal can prevent to be fair, it’s more practical than a visible decal. As for the side gear carrier, I used to call it my Thirst Aid Kit, then changed to store anything that is needed at hand in a quick manner…. i.e recovery straps, gloves etc. each to their own 😉

The following 11 users liked this post by Ludders54:
73matt (03-18-2023), Craig_RRS2013 (01-16-2023), ficklma1 (01-16-2023), gurka01 (01-16-2023), Jiman01 (01-16-2023), MattF (01-16-2023), mdgs (03-16-2023), Ronin Defender (01-16-2023), spritekk (01-16-2023), TrioLRowner (03-16-2023), Vadiable Paradox (01-16-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2023, 07:31 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

^^^ Perfect ^^^

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 09:31 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a pair of gloves, a small hand saw, a first aid kit, and a small 12v tire pump in mine at the moment.

ficklma1 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:22 PM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

@Ludders54 This is SO awesome ! Did you construct this yourself or was this something you purchased?

Originally Posted by Ludders54

ficklma1 (03-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Three Wheeling

You’d be surprised how much glare the bonnet decal can prevent to be fair, it’s more practical than a visible decal.
Noted. The sun is very bright here. Knee-jerk reaction, modern phone manufacturers have gone dumb, my last phone goes black in the orientation I used to use for telemetry and navigation when I have my polarized overspecs on.
As for the side gear carrier, I used to call it my Thirst Aid Kit,
Works fine for me, though I prefer scotch
then changed to store anything that is needed at hand in a quick manner…. i.e recovery straps, gloves etc. each to their own 😉
Makes sense.

I guess I can live with the mudflaps and wheel arch protectors - the rest of the Explorer Pack.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vadiable Paradox:
ficklma1 (01-17-2023), Ludders54 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 05:25 AM
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need this!!

please tell me where you purchased this…..Need it!! TIA

Old 03-16-2023, 06:48 AM
Mudding

I didn’t - I made it myself using hard compressed foam polystyrene, black cloth, blood, sweat and tears! 🤣

The following 3 users liked this post by Ludders54:
AKdefender (03-20-2023), ficklma1 (03-16-2023), yocut33m (03-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Exterior side-mounted gear carrier - what do you use it for?