Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme wind noise : 2021 defender 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extreme wind noise : 2021 defender 110

I just purchased a 2021 110 SE p400 with 7700 mi on it.
Today ,was the fourth day that I've had it on the interstate and the noise was unbearable.
A few days ago, I had a constant wind noise in my ear coming from the passenger driver side window. If I turn the radio volume up to about 30 it drowned it out but if I turn the volume down and tried to make a phone call ,all I could hear was the wind in my ear as if I was in a jeep with no top on it. Today ,the same noise except for now there's a whistling coming from the window as well. I contacted the dealer and I was advised they could see me in two weeks .. I am hoping some of you guys have a solution to this.

Thk you

UPDATE 3/27/22

I believe I found the issue. Appears the window is loose as well as the door molding.

Is this the pillar problem others have discussed?

I made a video but I'm unsure if it will upload...androids are not the best at sharing videos etc.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NJUmVWNE90dDVB

Last edited by Eb21; 03-27-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

1. Welcome to a Defender. Read a lot of threads on this forum and become a student of the Advanced Search. There's a lot of good tips in here, don't use the normal search.
2. If you have aftermarket tires, that makes it worse. Roof rack, ditto.
3. Specifically re: window noise, it will help to locate it. Lots of #1's (Search) to help. If it's the A-Pillar, known problem - easy cures (new A-pillar or felt). If it's the windows, ditto (silicon lube the rubber). If you get more specific where, you'll get more tips. Maybe have someone else drive and take a short ride in back until you can isolate it.
4. Good luck with the Dealer. Bring Chocolate Chip cookies per "Click & Clack".

Final Tip: Post "Defender ****" (Pics of your Defender getting dirty or freshly clean or in dark lighting or basically any other pic really) and you'll get more responses!

Last edited by GrouseK9; 03-24-2022 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mopadzi (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 01:44 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
1. Welcome to a Defender. Read a lot of threads on this forum and become a student of the Advanced Search. There's a lot of good tips in here, don't use the normal search.
2. If you have aftermarket tires, that makes it worse. Roof rack, ditto.
3. Specifically re: window noise, it will help to locate it. Lots of #1's (Search) to help. If it's the A-Pillar, known problem - easy cures (new A-pillar or felt). If it's the windows, ditto (silicon lube the rubber). If you get more specific where, you'll get more tips. Maybe have someone else drive and take a short ride in back until you can isolate it.
4. Good luck with the Dealer. Bring Chocolate Chip cookies per "Click & Clack".

Final Tip: Post "Defender ****" (Pics of your Defender getting dirty or freshly clean or in dark lighting or basically any other pic really) and you'll get more responses!
Thank you for the detailed info. This forum is great ..because of you guys I avoided paying for an expensive frame lift and did the 1" extenders to accommodate an ATR 275/60/20

Old 03-24-2022, 01:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Your wind noise is definitely *not* normal for a 110. I have one and it's super quiet at high highway speeds, no whistling or wind noise of note.

You have roof rack or other accessories like air intake / ladder / side box?

GrouseK9 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:01 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree, I have 17k miles on my 20.5 110 P400 and don't notice any noise. I have a roof rack and classic mud flaps.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:58 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Your wind noise is definitely *not* normal for a 110. I have one and it's super quiet at high highway speeds, no whistling or wind noise of note.

You have roof rack or other accessories like air intake / ladder / side box?
I don't have any extras on it. No roof rack, ladders, box.. that's why I can't figure out why it would be making so much noise. Literally sounds like I have a top off of a Jeep and the windows rolled up

Old 03-24-2022, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

Could be a seal alignment issue in the door.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

One other thing to check, that took me a while to figure out, is loose weather molding on the door seal. Mine is specifically the rear passenger door. It comes loose and then gets caught in the door when closed quickly. I have to realign it and then softly close the door for the seal to be semi decent. I've got about 7500mi on mine and still havent been bothered to take it in yet. It is annoying and extremely loud if I dont fix it, or a passenger doesnt know about it.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:14 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by AvoTow
One other thing to check, that took me a while to figure out, is loose weather molding on the door seal. Mine is specifically the rear passenger door. It comes loose and then gets caught in the door when closed quickly. I have to realign it and then softly close the door for the seal to be semi decent. I've got about 7500mi on mine and still havent been bothered to take it in yet. It is annoying and extremely loud if I dont fix it, or a passenger doesnt know about it.
Thx for the advice.
Hopefully that's what's going on with mine . It's iso loud, there's no way a passenger could sit behind me

GrouseK9 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Eb21
Thx for the advice.
Hopefully that's what's going on with mine . It's iso loud, there's no way a passenger could sit behind me
An obvious question - is the window fully closed?

Quick Reply: Extreme wind noise : 2021 defender 110