Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions from potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Few questions from potential owner

This would be my first Land Rover and would primarily be used for trips (overlanding, camping, etc) and less of a daily driver as I work in the city and (when im not wfh) commute by train.

1) For those that own, did you buy the extended warranty? For a brand with a bad rep for reliability, you'd think they'd offer a better warranty but when I look at the Defender, I am sorta calculating that in in the back of my head.

2) I'm really going to go for the bare minimum with just a few extras like heated seats and rear view cam but may get one more extra - what would you recommend?

3) Has anyone used a corporate discount to buy a Land Rover in the past? I know with Defender being first model year it wasn't eligible. My current job allows 10% off disco/disco sport and 5% off RR line. As defender price base sits in the disco territory I figure 2021 models may make it into corporate discount in the 10% range. If you have used corporate discount, is there a strategy? Do you negotiate first and then present the corporate code after or is it only off MSRP?

4) P300 v P400 - owners, I've heard varying opinions but a few more wont hurt, did you test both and if so what reactions? Against I'm trying to go for bare minimum with a P300 but if the difference is that significant, I can throw in a bit more and top out my budget

Old 01-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

If you intend going off-road (virtually at all) making sure you have the electronic differential option up-front is quite critical, as one cannot add it post purchase. Be careful with the ordeing website tools, as noted in other threads, as they can convince a buyer they have ordered the electronic differential, when they have not.

The decisive differences between the P300 and P400 seem to coalesce around two points which virtually demand the P400: 1) if you intend to tow over 4000 lbs (or so) or live in very steep areas (ie. Colorado) wisdom suggests you buy the P400. If you require aggressive, very sporty acceleration, the P400 is in a much better, different class than the P300

I have a P300 and am very happy with it -- but I admit, upon reflection, that I drive much more sedately than I have in prior decades.

You do not note whether you are looking at the 90 or 110 ..... so no comment from me, there.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
If you intend going off-road (virtually at all) making sure you have the electronic differential option up-front is quite critical, as one cannot add it post purchase. Be careful with the ordeing website tools, as noted in other threads, as they can convince a buyer they have ordered the electronic differential, when they have not.

The decisive differences between the P300 and P400 seem to coalesce around two points which virtually demand the P400: 1) if you intend to tow over 4000 lbs (or so) or live in very steep areas (ie. Colorado) wisdom suggests you buy the P400. If you require aggressive, very sporty acceleration, the P400 is in a much better, different class than the P300

I have a P300 and am very happy with it -- but I admit, upon reflection, that I drive much more sedately than I have in prior decades.

You do not note whether you are looking at the 90 or 110 ..... so no comment from me, there.

it would be a 110. It too don’t drive like I used to and find myself on the slower side. While we don’t have a ton of mountains here in westchester county NY, we do go to the Catskills to camp and plan on big road trips around the country and up through Canada.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I personally never buy extended warranties. The model reliability is built into the price. I also tend not to keep vehicles long enough to matter, although this one will probably be different.

2) Options are pretty personal. For me, upgraded stereo and adaptive cruise control are at the top of the list.

3) I am unfamiliar with JLRs discount program, but if it’s anything like other manufacturers it’s a no haggle price usually based on invoice pricing.

4) I have the P400. I think it’s just right for me. The Defender is a heavy car. I’m sure the P300 is adequate, but for me, I think I would want a little more in certain situations.

The following users liked this post:
Overlanderx (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimA
1) I personally never buy extended warranties. The model reliability is built into the price. I also tend not to keep vehicles long enough to matter, although this one will probably be different.

2) Options are pretty personal. For me, upgraded stereo and adaptive cruise control are at the top of the list.

3) I am unfamiliar with JLRs discount program, but if it’s anything like other manufacturers it’s a no haggle price usually based on invoice pricing.

4) I have the P400. I think it’s just right for me. The Defender is a heavy car. I’m sure the P300 is adequate, but for me, I think I would want a little more in certain situations.
thanks Jim. I too wouldn’t typically look at extended warranties, however given this brands reputation, or lack there of, for reliability, it did have me thinking. Maybe I can haggle and get them to increase the base warranty a bit as someone else mentioned in another thread (100k mi)

the corpo discount is currently 10% off disco/disco sport and 5% off all RR lines. Seeing as defender sits in disco price range, I’m waiting to see if the 2021s will be eligible.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I am in the middle of placing my order for the new D90, and have been researching what to add to my order for over 4 months. After much review, and as this is my 5th LR, I have decided to go bare bones, except it will have the P400, and the electronic differential, which thus adds some goodies I didn't really care about, but will have (it is not totally an a la carte order form, one item triggers others). I am going to focus on aftermarket options to build her the way I want. As usual, the LR prices for options are too high for me based on the quality of what they are. Even the mud-flaps are not heavy duty enough...
I am told if I get my order in Jan 15th, I should see the D90 by June 1st, so that is the plan. It is about $6K more than I intended to spend... and its pretty 'base', frankly. A few things I am debating is some options I don't need, but know resale would demand... but I think I will keep this one far longer than I usually do, so I may proceed as planned.
Best of luck with YOUR decision, but don't give up on good aftermarket options. Sales numbers already reflect that we will have lots of options.... and soon.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 777AIA
I am in the middle of placing my order for the new D90, and have been researching what to add to my order for over 4 months. After much review, and as this is my 5th LR, I have decided to go bare bones, except it will have the P400, and the electronic differential, which thus adds some goodies I didn't really care about, but will have (it is not totally an a la carte order form, one item triggers others). I am going to focus on aftermarket options to build her the way I want. As usual, the LR prices for options are too high for me based on the quality of what they are. Even the mud-flaps are not heavy duty enough...
I am told if I get my order in Jan 15th, I should see the D90 by June 1st, so that is the plan. It is about $6K more than I intended to spend... and its pretty 'base', frankly. A few things I am debating is some options I don't need, but know resale would demand... but I think I will keep this one far longer than I usually do, so I may proceed as planned.
Best of luck with YOUR decision, but don't give up on good aftermarket options. Sales numbers already reflect that we will have lots of options.... and soon.
nice. I want the bigger engine but 62k for a base P400 is just outside my range for the 110. My only concern is, with weight of car being some 5400lbs, if the P300 is strong enough or if it’ll result in transmission issues down the line

Old 01-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Transmission wear would depend on three items, I suppose:

1. Do you drive fast and accelerate aggressively? -- Speed drives up the transmission average operating temp, which breaks down the fluid. Driving fast really challenges all automatic transmissions. I am quite happy at 65 max on the interstate (which I know is entirely impractical (pokey slow) in many locations) and I am only on the interstate now and then.

2. Do you tow heavy and long or carry heavy loads (7 people ) up steep hills daily or so -- this drives up the transmission average operating temp, which breaks down the fluid.

3. Are you committed to NOT following JLR's transmission fluid change frequency of never -- they claim it has lifetime fluid. Many on this forum are planning to change trans fluid after more traditional (25K ?) miles and the engine oil at 7500 miles max (versus the 21K in the manual). -- 5000 miles is the engine oil max for me -- 3500 does not hurt.

A note: While both transmissions are 8 speed from ZF, the 6 cylinder does feature a different model number which is sized for the greater torque which the P400 can create. So, likely the safest course transmission wise, is to buy a P400 and drive and use it like a P300. And service the fluid in a traditional manner.

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Overlanderx (01-03-2021), prab (01-04-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another potential owner here:

1) does anyone know if you can transmit map info to the center screen between the analog gauges or do you need the digital gauge to show map info?

2) Does the Smokers pack add an additional 12v socket? or convert and existing socket to 12v?

Old 02-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

1) For those that own, did you buy the extended warranty? For a brand with a bad rep for reliability, you'd think they'd offer a better warranty but when I look at the Defender, I am sorta calculating that in in the back of my head: I did not get the extended warranty, yet. I did a lot of research as this is my first LR. I found that you have better options in the warranty space and plan on buying one once I am approaching the EOL on the manufacture warranty.

2) I'm really going to go for the bare minimum with just a few extras like heated seats and rear view cam but may get one more extra - what would you recommend?: I wanted the bare minimum lux pack for me. there are certain things that I need in any car, call me soft. I like to say refined. i went with 12-way heated seats. I am the only person who drives it and when I get my seat in place I very rarely move it. I went with a winter package, I like heated windshields and heated steering wheels. I went with tow package incase I am going to tow and you get the ability to use the dials to direct what you are towing. I went with an off-road package for the locking diff and it has been nice having an outlet in the trunk. I used last weekend to fill up my son's massive sledding tube. I went no sunroof because I have an aftermarket rack which blocks out everything. I did the rear camera, I don't use it often but it has come in handy when I have the back filled . Finally, I put everything on the P300. Is it a Porsche, nope. It has been more than powerful for me. I no longer weave in and out of traffic or race friends. Now when I need it to go, it meets my challenge. Been very happy witeh it and it has a smooth power stroke.

3) Has anyone used a corporate discount to buy a Land Rover in the past? I know with Defender being first model year it wasn't eligible. My current job allows 10% off disco/disco sport and 5% off RR line. As defender price base sits in the disco territory I figure 2021 models may make it into corporate discount in the 10% range. If you have used corporate discount, is there a strategy? Do you negotiate first and then present the corporate code after or is it only off MSRP? N/A

4) P300 v P400 - owners, I've heard varying opinions but a few more wont hurt, did you test both and if so what reactions? Against I'm trying to go for bare minimum with a P300 but if the difference is that significant, I can throw in a bit more and top out my budget: See above

Quick Reply: Few questions from potential owner