Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions from potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
If you intend going off-road (virtually at all) making sure you have the electronic differential option up-front is quite critical, as one cannot add it post purchase. Be careful with the ordeing website tools, as noted in other threads, as they can convince a buyer they have ordered the electronic differential, when they have not.
Does the electronic diff really make that significant of a difference? This is making it sound like you're pretty much screwed off-road without the electronic diff and make sure you bring a recovery vehicle.....but I've seen other opinions framing it like you won't often find a situation where the electronic diff is essential. Two ends of the spectrum there and I'm guessing the reality is somewhere in between.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMN
Does the electronic diff really make that significant of a difference? This is making it sound like you're pretty much screwed off-road without the electronic diff and make sure you bring a recovery vehicle.....but I've seen other opinions framing it like you won't often find a situation where the electronic diff is essential. Two ends of the spectrum there and I'm guessing the reality is somewhere in between.
Having a locking diff makes ALL the difference when traction is compromised, especially when towing a trailer, etc.

My 4Runner has a locking center diff and I use it every week driving across pastures that are slick as ice after it rains. The trail becomes worn down to the dirt, which becomes slick mud. The 4WD will get it going but it will catch sometimes. With the diff locked, there are no issues and I pull a utility trailer. Diff lock is for traction. Low range is for torque.

Last edited by stillruns; 02-17-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe we are just talking about the rear locking differential option, correct me if I am wrong but the center is already included in the base vehicle. In my research the standard setup is a very capable but if you intend to seriously off-road then the rear locker would be recommended. I'd say 90% of Defenders in the US market don't have it and probably don't need it, other options have priority. Unfortunately, I'm in the other 10% with my requirements. As pointed out you need to be careful with the configurator as it's confusing for the rear locker - you need the "Off Road Pack". OP - good luck with your search, I recommend you drive the P300 and P400 to compare, both models have fans (not the cooling ones).

Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMN
Here is a recent video you might find interesting on this topic. It is a helpful and effective, historical view.

I have an LR4 without rear lockers, and there are times when having them would have made the difference. My 4WD tractor has locking rear diffs and there are times in the muddy season when it definitely makes the difference. Still, I have to self rescue, very very occasionally. The Land rover braking control to shift the tractive force away from the spinning wheel is a big help -- but it can be rough on trails and the response time can lead to losing momentum.

I have and use recovery boards more than a little, particularly in the muddy mountains, regardless. The rear locker does reduce the occurrence of this activity.

As a final comment, the new defender with the electronic, clutched center and locking rear diffs and the rest is really incredible, really it is the future.

Enjoy the video!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 02-17-2021 at 06:52 PM.