2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finalizing order. Thoughts on ebony headliner with acorn/lunar seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:42 PM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finalizing order. Thoughts on ebony headliner with acorn/lunar seats?

Also, on the fence with rims. I see more of the satin grey but feel like the contrast diamond cut pops a little more. Definitely more of a city build.

Last edited by CarpathianTheGrey; 07-08-2021 at 11:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarpathianTheGrey:
DefenderSmitty (08-15-2021), Royalist (08-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I am a wheel guy through and through — rarely settle for OEM wheels, and especially not the standard, no charge ones when there are options.

But I am in love with the standard 5-spoke in dark gray that you show on the fourth picture, the free, standard wheel. I like them even more in person than I did the configurator. For off-road purposes I wish they were 18s but the look and on road performance of the 20s is great. I am not a fan of the more blingy wheel in the 3rd photo. I don’t hate it, by any means, and will not unfriend you if you get them. But, at least on Pangea, it’s hard to imagine a better look for me than the gray. In fact, I had a friend who was looking at the configurator ask why I didn’t opt for the other 20” gray 5-spoke, the one that’s only $200 more and has flat spokes rather than the ridged edges of the standard wheel. Obviously, price had nothing to do with it, as they were essentially free. I just really like the standard one best.

As for headliner... I started out thinking I wanted the Oyster Morzine because of the “more light on the inside of the cabin” idea. Didn’t want it to feel like a cave. I’ve never owned a vehicle anywhere near this cavernous on the inside (sold a MINI Clubman and Wrangler 2-door to make room for the 110), so I didn’t know how it would feel. And I don’t have Acorn, so take this for what it’s worth: with Khaki/Ebony interior the Ebony headliner looks proper. I saw that interior at the dealer, but with Oyster headliner, and was glad for the decision I made. But then again, it’s not Acorn, so YMMV.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
dbcolimon@gmail.com (08-10-2021), GrouseK9 (07-09-2021), Royalist (08-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

We have the Oyster headliner on our LR4 (no choice back then) and after 8 years and 133K miles it's dirty. No easy way to clean that material. Brown spots from when our wet dog shakes off after swimming. Black mechanic handprints from when they had to drop the entire headliner to fix a water leak at the roof antenna. You get the idea...the black will look cleaner longer.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I am a wheel guy through and through — rarely settle for OEM wheels, and especially not the standard, no charge ones when there are options.

But I am in love with the standard 5-spoke in dark gray that you show on the fourth picture, the free, standard wheel. I like them even more in person than I did the configurator. For off-road purposes I wish they were 18s but the look and on road performance of the 20s is great. I am not a fan of the more blingy wheel in the 3rd photo. I don’t hate it, by any means, and will not unfriend you if you get them. But, at least on Pangea, it’s hard to imagine a better look for me than the gray. In fact, I had a friend who was looking at the configurator ask why I didn’t opt for the other 20” gray 5-spoke, the one that’s only $200 more and has flat spokes rather than the ridged edges of the standard wheel. Obviously, price had nothing to do with it, as they were essentially free. I just really like the standard one best.

As for headliner... I started out thinking I wanted the Oyster Morzine because of the “more light on the inside of the cabin” idea. Didn’t want it to feel like a cave. I’ve never owned a vehicle anywhere near this cavernous on the inside (sold a MINI Clubman and Wrangler 2-door to make room for the 110), so I didn’t know how it would feel. And I don’t have Acorn, so take this for what it’s worth: with Khaki/Ebony interior the Ebony headliner looks proper. I saw that interior at the dealer, but with Oyster headliner, and was glad for the decision I made. But then again, it’s not Acorn, so YMMV.
Thank you! Very helpful! Your ride looks great!

Old 07-09-2021, 08:44 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PaulLR
We have the Oyster headliner on our LR4 (no choice back then) and after 8 years and 133K miles it's dirty. No easy way to clean that material. Brown spots from when our wet dog shakes off after swimming. Black mechanic handprints from when they had to drop the entire headliner to fix a water leak at the roof antenna. You get the idea...the black will look cleaner longer.
Thank you! Very helpful!

Old 07-09-2021, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

i agree. I went with oyster headliner but should have gone with ebony. One saving grace is that the A-pillar trim is dark gray. That typically gets messy after other people drive my cars. I wish they had the faux suede liner option, which is easier to clean, but I think that is only on the V8??

The following users liked this post:
CarpathianTheGrey (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I didn't go with ebony for the headliner, kind of because I didn't option in the sunroof, I never used it on my Q5 so figured why bother. Wanted the more airy feeling of the light headliner but I can see where if it ever got dirty that would be bad. So yea if you have the sunroof optioned in I would probably go ebony then.

Last edited by Chief65; 07-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

Check every option box see if you can get it over $100k

Old 08-10-2021, 06:24 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I wonder what treating with a layer of silicon waterproofing spray would do, like the stuff you'd use on nubuck/suede shoes. If I ever get my Defender I'll give it a go

Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I’ve had the light headliner in all of our past LR’s and never had an issue with dirt. It also gives the cabin a nice bright atmosphere. I’ve had the light roof liner with both tan and black interior. For the Defender I just received it has the Acorn and Oyster and all the contrast throughout the cabin is joyful to the eyes. It really fits this vehicle especially if you’re looking for that feeling.

The following users liked this post:
Ace7711 (08-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Finalizing order. Thoughts on ebony headliner with acorn/lunar seats?