2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time LR, Ordering a Defender.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts
Default First Time LR, Ordering a Defender.

I've been waiting for a Rivian since 2018. My dad passed away last year, and now time is a lot more relevant to me than it was. So I'm tired of waiting. I spent a lot of time digging around trying to find a 5000-8000 lb tower and stumbled into the Defender. I knew what they were, knew they existed, followed along with TFL's adventures with one. While I like the Bronco, I've been driving Audi's and nicer interior cars far to long, and the Bronco can't tow like I want, and in my old age I like nicer interiors as you sit in them for a long time while road tripping.

So I drove a 2020 HSE with the P400 yesterday and I'm sold, however not buying a used one going to order one. I'm the king of ordering cars and understand it'll take a while, but not forever like some of my other cars that were ordered.

I just figured out there is no such thing as the HSE already, and have been waffling between the SE configuration and the X-Dynamic configuration. However the SE has the white roof which I think looks nice, and a solid color interior if I pick the Acorn seats vs. the black edged ones in the X series.

But what I can't figure out is near as I can tell I can configure up the SE to be identical to the X except the power steering adjustment, and the weird black border on all the seats. So, I'm currently going for a 2023 Pangea Green/White Roof with about every option I could add short of the fancier leather. I really won't mind the now power adjustment on the steering anyway, but still weird to me that you can't get a solid color seating with that model.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Couple thoughts, 'King'

TFL is utter ... nonsense. Blahblahblah overly dramatized experience for clicks. I love podcasts and I love the idea of father/son dynamic as the basis for a podcast... but not much more than that. I wouldn't let that color your Defender enthusiasm in other words !

Yes, you can essentially configure an SE to be an X-Dynamic SE. If you run the #'s it's close when options are ticked. I did this endlessly between x-dynamic and the x model when I was on the hunt.

I agree that there are some cool things you can option on the lower spec models that you can't on higher spec. MOST NOTABLY -- the white roof w/ Pangea -- or smaller wheels -- white roof though... you can't get this on an x-dynamic, x or v8. For some reason Land Rover has decided that the higher models must have a black roof or body color roof.

X and X Dynamic are 2 different models btw (x is higher up the spec sheet) - maybe a typo above

This may be unpopular here but -- I know "Ordering is fun" but really... just get one. If your timing is right, I've found that the price premium on used is often less than the ADM on new.

Personally, I had an order in. After 3 rounds of delays,. I bagged it and impulse bought a 110 X w/ 900 miles on it that was quite literally the exact spec of my order. My order *in 2020* was originally supposed to be a 2020, which turned out to be completely a false promise (no one knew covid, etc), then was a 2021 (which the model year lasted about 1 minute apparently), then dealer informed me it moved to 2022 and cost more, and then I decided to look at Autotrader daily. And it was Covid, and my family member had cancer, and I was like ...YOLO. Anyway you may be setting yourself up with frustration by trying to order. When my used X showed up at my house, it was as brand new. No wear marks, no paint issues, not even one rock chip. I'm happy as a clam. Plus my spouse thinks I saved money by buying used when in fact I did pay a bit *more* than my original order...

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-12-2022 at 12:54 PM.
GrouseK9 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 02:23 PM
Pro Wrench

BTW re: Rivian -- Sandy Munro on his YouTube channel has a Rivian his team is disassembling - very interesting content / technical stuff. Might want to watch it.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Ditto @nashvegas . Just get one, don't go thru the drama of the order. Right now, they aren't guaranteeing that you will get what you ordered anyway. They keep dropping random options because they are blaming someone else in the supply chain. You may wait 8+ months and get what you want, most don't. I say get a spec you like. While still at a premium, you can look around (CarMax, etc) and find them. Good luck.

MattF (06-12-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

If I find one, I might just get it, but so far the ones I've seen are more than the one I want, less features, and without the third row. I will keep looking though, as like I mentioned I've waited long enough as it is.

Is the built in air compressor worth it? would be a nice to have.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Drifting
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
If I find one, I might just get it, but so far the ones I've seen are more than the one I want, less features, and without the third row. I will keep looking though, as like I mentioned I've waited long enough as it is.

Is the built in air compressor worth it? would be a nice to have.
I just have a smittybilt compressor. and the extra 30 seconds it takes to open the hood and hook up the battery is worth the savings of having it installed or getting it added to the vehicle. I love seeing the integrated units, but I honestly air down (50psi to 35psi) within 6 minutes, and air back up within 10 minutes at the end of a fun day. So I don't think built in is necessary.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm another non-built in owner. I watched the PowerfulUk test of different ones as well as a reviewer from Australia who tested a lot and decided to stick with my ARB Portable CKMP12 (Link). The "toolbox" it comes in holds most of my other tools, tire plugs, etc. and I leave it in the boot. Yeah, it takes up room, but I can change it to different vehicles and it performs better. I guess if I didn't want to take up as much room, I would likely just buy a different portable. The built in has a PSI limit (not sure what it was) that kind of turned me off. {EDIT: <60psi} Plus, at that premium, I bought other toys!<g>

Last edited by GrouseK9; 06-13-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends on the dealer, I had no "market adjustment" on my order but the used ones on the lot and the declined orders are getting 10s of thousands added on. I say if you have the time, order what you want and be patient. All good in the end.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench

I have the built in compressor and love it - FWIW.

yocut33m (07-04-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:14 AM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 68 Posts

I also did not order the built in and installed an ARB in the engine bay which supplies the air for the winch (UK Red Winch);which has an air spool and air brake feature. Also use it to inflate and love it. Significantly cheaper and more versatile than the onboard air, but I do love the onboard option of setting and it automatically stops

Quick Reply: First Time LR, Ordering a Defender.