Sponsored by:

Fog lights retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Fog lights retrofit

Goodmorning everyone,
I own a Defender 90 d200 without front fog lights, I would like to do a retrofit.
I looked in the catalog I would need in addition to the fog lights LR130799, 2 different frames LR129436, the wiring, and the new combined switch LR146274, (same as that of evoque 2020 and discovery sport 2020).
what I was wondering is the matter of the wiring ....
under the left wheel arch there is a connector that powers all the wiring of the bumper front.
will the wires of the fog lights reach this connector?
I saw that this cable is part of the main wiring of the car, I think it is the same on all ...
then there is another question, when everything is installed, do I have to activate the system with pathfinder? or will they work?
I thank everyone for the help and I hope to take some nice pictures to post.
don't be offended by my awful english ...

Marco

Old 09-03-2021, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Your English works for me -- no problem.

I recall there are actually two wiring looms and connectors under the left wheel arch (and one was kind of hard to locate) -- but, I have the OEM fog lights.

You may want to go to the front bumper removal videos on the PowerfulUKLtd. website and watch carefully their disconnecting those two wires.

Also, on my thread in this forum on installing a winch and the front undershield, I have photos of the back of the front bumper after I removed it, but had not yet started cutting it into pieces. You should be able to trace the route of the wires to the front fog lights.

Let me know if you have any questions .....

Enjoy !

Old 09-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Hello,
Thanks for the reply,
yes, I watched the video of the powerfulk bumper front, unfortunately the colors of the wires are not clearly visible, their defender does not have fog lights, I do not understand if on the female connector that reaches the bumper there are some plugs not used in that case.
beautiful your winch assembly work, congratulations!

Thank you

Old 09-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I just had mine off, pretty sure it's only one wiring loom, the other connector is for the camera. I'd be surprised if that loom was different with/without fog lights, I'd expect you should be able to just plug them in, but you won't really know until you remove the bumper. Here is a picture of mine all in pieces, I have the fog lights. The main bumper harness is on the bottom left side there, it's quite easy to access, it's just behind the fender lining inside the left wheel arch. You could inspect it to see if the pins are there, infact you could probably directly see if there is a empty connector there for the fog lights or not. Might need to use your phone to see around the duct thats there. The fender lining just has 4 plastic clips that pry out and go back in really easily, just be sure to pop out the retaining pin in the clips first. The one at the top doesn't look like it has a retaining pin, but it does, no idea why they did that one differently.

Not sure about activating the fog lights, I suspect that might be the trickier part.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Here's my 2 cents, which is probably an over priced opinion. I recently pulled off my rear bumper and I noticed that the main loom going into the bumper had a lot of plastic "pins" placed into the in bound (vehicle to connect, not connector to bumper) connector. The pins appeared to be filling up all of the unused positions where wires go. Wish I had taken a pic!! So the connector on the truck side (not the bumper side) had a lot of plastic prongs in it that I think were to keep gunk, water, whatever out of the unused connections. It makes me think that the vehicle loom to connector may have different configurations. If so, you're in deep "poop". That will be very hard to rewire. Personally, I would "go for it". If it doesn't work, there's a ton of technicians on here who would likely grab some other power source and route it. Take lots of pics and post and you'll get a lot of info (hopefully more specific than mine....)

Old 09-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Iceman153
I just had mine off, pretty sure it's only one wiring loom, the other connector is for the camera. I'd be surprised if that loom was different with/without fog lights, I'd expect you should be able to just plug them in, but you won't really know until you remove the bumper. Here is a picture of mine all in pieces, I have the fog lights. The main bumper harness is on the bottom left side there, it's quite easy to access, it's just behind the fender lining inside the left wheel arch. You could inspect it to see if the pins are there, infact you could probably directly see if there is a empty connector there for the fog lights or not. Might need to use your phone to see around the duct thats there. The fender lining just has 4 plastic clips that pry out and go back in really easily, just be sure to pop out the retaining pin in the clips first. The one at the top doesn't look like it has a retaining pin, but it does, no idea why they did that one differently.

Not sure about activating the fog lights, I suspect that might be the trickier part.

Thank you,
excellent photo, it would have been nice to have a close-up picture of the main connector on the bumper front and one of the connector on the fog light to see the colors of the wires and compare with other photos on the net.
very nice photo with all the components in the living room !!
my wife threw me out of the

Old 09-04-2021, 12:58 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks for the advice,
let's see if anyone on the forum has a precise photo of the front bumper connector, fog connector, or a wiring diagram.
I am certainly worried about the possible activation of the system with pathfinder, here in Italy, the LR dealer is not collaborative ..

Old 09-04-2021, 07:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Old 09-04-2021, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Dig around here for the right harness information for your vehicle and check if it's already installed: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...nd/land-rover/

And, if anyone knows how to do it - contact these folks: https://lr-retrofits.co.uk/ They are brilliant at adding options after build. What a PITA to do, but they are the only ones I know of doing it.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:02 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks for everything,
I have already looked at the harness wire front bumper in my case it does not have the connectors for fog lights, but I think the main harness has the pins in the connector.
now I will try to disassemble and look at the connector to verify.
in the meantime I asked "lr retrofits" if they let me know about the encoding.

Marco

Quick Reply: Fog lights retrofit