2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Frame Front Bumper Bump Guard

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Thanks @Simon14 for the Fitments Link. That really helped to understand all the bits & parts and how they went together. Didn't think about starting at the fitment guide to find out about the Expedition Corner Covers (ECC). But, yeah - I really liked the style too. After reading thru the instructions, it appears to me that it's not structural like the UnderShield. Even at 5mm vs. the Metzkar's 8mm it's much more beefy than the usual raw plastic. However, looking at the ECC, I can't tell if they are aluminum plating (good news) or more plastic (yawner). I kind of think they are just more plastic cladding because it appears that after cutting out the current plastic under trim to mount it almost all the mounting points are on plastic. I'm thinking if that's true, it still looks good but doesn't really serve the purpose it appears to (kind of like the A-Frame protection!).

I think that JLR is going for the "Style" of beefy & protective but not the actual substance because of so many countries' pedestrian impact regulations.

The following users liked this post:
Simon14 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Lots of really useful information in the installation instructions and in the replies in the thread. Thanks for sharing, all.

If utility is one's purpose, I whole-heartedly endorse the front undertray kit, with its more robust metal frame and exposing of the front recovery ring. I have banged up the tray in the last year enough to fully appreciate its value. I had hoped that JLR would have made it standard in their most off-road capable vehicle. But, no.

Relative to trim additions for style, I do much appreciate seeing the outcomes of your efforts. Some of the new Defenders on this forum are really stunning looking.

Enjoy!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-16-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:11 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

do you have any side pics fo the a frame. i am really confused on the available options

Originally Posted by WARWGN
I had the standard A-Frame protection bar fitted with my build. It is installed at the factory and not at port so the $1,300 fee covered the part and install. Not sure how much "protection" it will provide, I added for the look. I really like it combined with the wheel arch extensions. Changes the look of the Defender for the better in my opinion.

Simon14 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Thanks @Simon14 for the Fitments Link. That really helped to understand all the bits & parts and how they went together. Didn't think about starting at the fitment guide to find out about the Expedition Corner Covers (ECC). But, yeah - I really liked the style too. After reading thru the instructions, it appears to me that it's not structural like the UnderShield. Even at 5mm vs. the Metzkar's 8mm it's much more beefy than the usual raw plastic. However, looking at the ECC, I can't tell if they are aluminum plating (good news) or more plastic (yawner). I kind of think they are just more plastic cladding because it appears that after cutting out the current plastic under trim to mount it almost all the mounting points are on plastic. I'm thinking if that's true, it still looks good but doesn't really serve the purpose it appears to (kind of like the A-Frame protection!).

I think that JLR is going for the "Style" of beefy & protective but not the actual substance because of so many countries' pedestrian impact regulations.
The undershield is definitively metal, but the A-frame I think is intended to protect against shrubs and trees, not kangaroos :-) So plastic is fine. There is a full bull bar available, designed specifically for Australia I think, but it is ugly as sin (IMHO). Having said that, I wrote my Subaru off hitting a deer on a Melbourne freeway (of all things) and wished I’d had a bull bar then. I’ve hit at least three kangaroos over my driving life and they can make a mess of a car…

Old 09-16-2021, 03:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by WARWGN
I had the standard A-Frame protection bar fitted with my build. It is installed at the factory and not at port so the $1,300 fee covered the part and install. Not sure how much "protection" it will provide, I added for the look. I really like it combined with the wheel arch extensions. Changes the look of the Defender for the better in my opinion.

Looks great! I think it is for protection against saplings, shrubs, etc, not animals. It will serve that purpose really well, especially because the cover of the A-frame is separate from the underlying mounting system, so if it is cracked or badly damaged, pop it off and replace it without replacing the whole thing.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ehloo
do you have any side pics fo the a frame. i am really confused on the available options
From the brochure…low res, but it shows the A-frame. Personally, i think it looks better with it from the side and the front. From the rear, I can’t tell the difference ;-)

Top photo is the expedition version, bottom the standard A-frame. Same profile, but the bottom one doesn’t have the silver underbody protection plate.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:47 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
Here's a side view

Simon14 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@Simon14 - Nice looking Defender! I can't tell from the pic because the headlight's reflection doesn't show the front corners. Did you install the "Expedition Corner Cover"? If so, can you take a pic and let me know the material? I kind of like the style but don't plan to get the A-Frame protection. I'm one of those abominations that got the Roo Bars and am in the middle of an install<g>. But, if I can get those part numbers I might think about saving the coins to get some.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Simon14 - Nice looking Defender! I can't tell from the pic because the headlight's reflection doesn't show the front corners. Did you install the "Expedition Corner Cover"? If so, can you take a pic and let me know the material? I kind of like the style but don't plan to get the A-Frame protection. I'm one of those abominations that got the Roo Bars and am in the middle of an install<g>. But, if I can get those part numbers I might think about saving the coins to get some.
Actually, not my car. Si I can’t take a picture. Mine hasn’t arrived yet. However, I think the corner covers are plastic, if by corner covers you mean the lower sections in front of the wheels.

GrouseK9 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:15 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

so the top pic has the extra silver under armpit with exposed recover tow?

i am seeing pics online of a very minor profile version. maybe it’s just the pics but it looks dofferent

Originally Posted by Simon14
From the brochure…low res, but it shows the A-frame. Personally, i think it looks better with it from the side and the front. From the rear, I can’t tell the difference ;-)

Top photo is the expedition version, bottom the standard A-frame. Same profile, but the bottom one doesn’t have the silver underbody protection plate.

Quick Reply: A Frame Front Bumper Bump Guard