Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end protection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front end protection question

OK, fairly certain my new build came with neither of the following that were to have been installed...but I'm realizing I don't even know what each of these things is/looks like.
  1. Front Undershield
  2. Front Expedition Protection System (this)
My build was to have both of these, but there are no clear images of these things on the LR site I can find and I can't really figure out what I'm missing. The FEPS (#2 above) link shows the front of a defender, but which of the parts in that image actually make up the FEPS? Anyone able to provide clarity on this?

Thanks,
Brice

The following users liked this post:
SilverSFR (01-17-2023)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:54 PM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnoonan
OK, fairly certain my new build came with neither of the following that were to have been installed...but I'm realizing I don't even know what each of these things is/looks like.
  1. Front Undershield
My build was to have both of these, but there are no clear images of these things on the LR site I can find and I can't really figure out what I'm missing. The FEPS (#2 above) link shows the front of a defender, but which of the parts in that image actually make up the FEPS? Anyone able to provide clarity on this?

Thanks,
Brice
Front undershield has a "hole" on the bottom to attach a connection point incase you need pulling out.

The FEPS seems like some dealer upsell but if I had to guess its the bit of extended black plastic on the front on the picture in your link. I guess, based on the description, when you run someone over it gives you that buffer so they don't hit your bonnet right away(?).

Old 10-15-2022, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 10-16-2022, 09:32 AM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Powerful UK Videoo of Front Undershield and Protection Bar

Here is a video prom Powerful UK which will show
the installation of the front undersheld.

Picked up my 110 P300 S Saturday which did not have the front under shield which I had ordered. Next link shows an aftermarket front undershield
which is likely the way I will go.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:55 AM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

I installed the aftermarket unit. Pretty straight forward.

WTFChuck (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnoonan
  1. Front Undershield

Thanks,
Brice
I installed the factory front undershield. In retrospect I would go with the aftermarket one, as swapping out the bar was a pain in the a**. I managed to do it without fully removing the bumper, but still not worth it when all I really wanted was the hole for access. The aftermarket ones come with the same aluminum shield but they manage to attach to the existing bar and are much cheaper.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the aftermarket one on order, expected to arrive tomorrow. In PowerfulUK's installation video they show cutting away the panel behind the under shield, this would remove mounting points for the original cover which I prefer not to do. My question is, can it be installed without cutting away the panel? I read a comment that this may be possible.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
I have the aftermarket one on order, expected to arrive tomorrow. In PowerfulUK's installation video they show cutting away the panel behind the under shield, this would remove mounting points for the original cover which I prefer not to do. My question is, can it be installed without cutting away the panel? I read a comment that this may be possible.
Based on my experience installing mine I didn't see a way to prevent this. My thinking is this addition to the truck is permanent - i.e. I'm not planning on removing it even if I sell / trade the truck.

Matt

this_account_is_mt (10-24-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,151 Likes on 621 Posts

The one thing I'd say is the genuine front protection shield has a much beefier bar than the aftermarket one.. so if you're really going to bash it up, offroad, you might want to try the genuine one.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
The one thing I'd say is the genuine front protection shield has a much beefier bar than the aftermarket one.. so if you're really going to bash it up, offroad, you might want to try the genuine one.
I have utilized the bashing protection of the OEM front protection shield and concur with nashvegas that the beefier support bar earns its place in off-road use. I know it is a pain to switch out the on-road stock version, but it is straightforward.

That said, the original plastic cover hiding the front recovery loop is the devil's design and if one is not going off-road with intensity, it's worth whatever effort you desire to impart to expose the loop.

Enjoy!

nashvegas (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Front end protection question