Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end protection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 06:00 PM
Drifting
Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
I have the aftermarket one on order, expected to arrive tomorrow. In PowerfulUK's installation video they show cutting away the panel behind the under shield, this would remove mounting points for the original cover which I prefer not to do. My question is, can it be installed without cutting away the panel? I read a comment that this may be possible.

I installed the aftermarket one a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty straight forward. I was worried about losing the plastic mounting points but I was able to cut away much less plastic than in the powerfuluk video so they are still there. I traced the bracket and then trimmed my cut until the bracket cleared.

The two front holes in the plate needed a little adjusting with a grinder to make it fit as there was no room to straighten it - you get what you pay for but it really wasn’t difficult.

I was worried about it not being as strong as the OEM one but it seems solid and looks like it can’t go anywhere if it gets a knock but for the amount of off-roading I’ll do it’s definitely more than enough.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cornbeef:
MattF (10-18-2022), Vintage12 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 07:13 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
The one thing I'd say is the genuine front protection shield has a much beefier bar than the aftermarket one.. so if you're really going to bash it up, offroad, you might want to try the genuine one.
I agree the bar that comes with the LR kit is slightly beefier, but oddly it seems to lack protection on either side lower like the stock one does.

I will say the LR kit bar has a steel "pocket" that seems like it will keep some debris from getting through to the top of the under engine shield. Could be an annoyance if junk packed up in there with the aftermarket front shield, as it just leaves an opening with no "pocket".

Old 10-17-2022, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 432 Likes on 202 Posts

but oddly it seems to lack protection on either side lower like the stock one does. - right, the stock bar is very beefy on both sides

In my 'easy accessible towhook mod' for the stock plate , I did put a little piece of diamond plate between the 2 holes to avoid a lot of debris deep behind.

Last edited by Defendit..; 10-23-2022 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm wondering if somebody could 3D print a snap in cover for that tow loop area. I'd do it but think my printer is too small for this.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:39 AM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

Nice work!

Another way to address the slight misalignment is to grind down one side of the washer on the mounting bolt a bit. That's what I did with mine to get the bolts to align.

Originally Posted by Cornbeef
I installed the aftermarket one a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty straight forward. I was worried about losing the plastic mounting points but I was able to cut away much less plastic than in the powerfuluk video so they are still there. I traced the bracket and then trimmed my cut until the bracket cleared.

The two front holes in the plate needed a little adjusting with a grinder to make it fit as there was no room to straighten it - you get what you pay for but it really wasn’t difficult.

I was worried about it not being as strong as the OEM one but it seems solid and looks like it can’t go anywhere if it gets a knock but for the amount of off-roading I’ll do it’s definitely more than enough.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:58 AM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
I installed the aftermarket unit. Pretty straight forward.

I watched both of PowerfulUK’s vids and was definitely attracted to the EasyFit, considering a purchase. Looking at the pics of your install, I’m going to go that route also. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:09 AM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I have utilized the bashing protection of the OEM front protection shield and concur with nashvegas that the beefier support bar earns its place in off-road use. I know it is a pain to switch out the on-road stock version, but it is straightforward.

That said, the original plastic cover hiding the front recovery loop is the devil's design and if one is not going off-road with intensity, it's worth whatever effort you desire to impart to expose the loop.

Enjoy!
Although I have decided to go with the aftermarket shield, if I wasn’t going that route I would perform the mod that the owner of the vehicle in PowerfulUK’s video did. Cut out a suitable opening on the plastic shield, line the edges with some U-channel, or door edge guard and get the same results in providing access to the front tow hook for a few bucks in cost and minimal effort.

The following users liked this post:
Cornbeef (11-03-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

I received my aftermarket skid plate and had a chance to install it yesterday. It is indeed possible to install without cutting away the rear plastic shield / trim plates and original mounting points. So, with the usual caveat of "at your own risk" here's what I did if it is helpful to you. The main issue you are trying to overcome is access to the new M6x25 torx bolts that will clamp the U-brackets to the frame.

1) Remove the 8 torx screws that hold the rear shield, for each side there is one near the center and then three vertically on the side. You probably don't need to undo the top one but I did it anyway.
2) Unpin the shield from the main plastic surround at two points under, these are push fit
3) This now allows plenty of flex to pull the shield forward at both sides, insert say a small section of 2x4" wood behind to protect while drilling. There are a couple of coolant lines to be wary of.
4) Drill 2 x 7/8" (22mm) holes each side (see alignment and locations in the photos)
5) Remove your wood protection and insert the U-brackets behind the frame
6) Now you will have access to the clamp points and your bracket mounting hole should also be accessible through an existing hole in the shield. Clamp your new brackets in place.
7) Finally put your rear shield back together, pin below and tighten the 8 torx screws before mounting the new skid plate.

Hope that all makes sense.

For some general feedback on the install, it's about 2 hours work, the fit and finish is decent - I have a small gap on the left side of the car that perhaps I can tweak out with adjustments, but honestly it's no worse than my original plastic shield that had a gap on the opposite side. The silver torx bolts at the top front are slightly too short, I plan to change mine to black with matching washers so will purchase M10x35 (would be nice if these were in the kit especially if ordering the black skid plate). Lastly, the JLR tow ring while functional is really basic welded steel tubing, I see spots of rust already on a 2 week old car - I plan to treat and paint, I still think a cover plate would be nice here so will write to Simon @ PUK.

Overall, I'm happy to now have a proper skid plate at the front and access to the tow ring.

The following 4 users liked this post by Vintage12:
Finlander (10-26-2022), MattF (10-20-2022), pllr (10-20-2022), SoCal Al (03-25-2024)
Old 10-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone here know if the aftermarket easy fit lines up with the oem holes? I have the silver plate, but want to swap it for the black one, but Im not sure if the aftermarket requires fitting their brackets.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Paradigm
Does anyone here know if the aftermarket easy fit lines up with the oem holes? I have the silver plate, but want to swap it for the black one, but Im not sure if the aftermarket requires fitting their brackets.
Paradigm, Does this photo with approximate dimensions to the center of the bolt holes on the aftermarket skid plate help you? It's only the two top bolts I think you have to worry about, the four underneath are all in factory locations. What I did notice was a slight variance between the left and right side which could explain why I have a small gap on the right of the vehicle as you look at it. Of course, what would be best is if somebody has done this. Don't know why the factory would fit silver for your rig.

Quick Reply: Front end protection question