Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rubber LR floor mats suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts
Default Front rubber LR floor mats suck

The genuine LR front rubber mats leak water through the mounting pin holes... so water leaks thru the floor mat onto the rubber flooring, cannot evaporate since it has a rubber mat on top, and in my case then sat here since my offroading trip in early December.

Note: pulled up the side panel and under seat access cover by the subwoofer, water does not appear to then be going thru the mounting pegs onto the metal floor below which was my fear.

The mats were bone dry on top, the underside was a mildewy wet mess.

How is that a good thing / how on earth they designed them this way is beyond me.

Anyone know if other aftermarket mats still leak through their mounting points as well? (taxmat, weather tech (which I think look tacky)..., etc?)

Water pools in here, as it is supposed to, then leaks through these round mounting holes. As a test, tried filling up the mat with water on our outdoor table and it steadily dripped out of both mounting pegs.

This is all from the mat itself, not a leak in the car

Last edited by nashvegas; 01-04-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

I haven't experienced that with mine - wonder if it's a failure that happens over time? I know I've gotten into my Defender with wet feet many times and when I pull the mats to clean, it's always been perfectly clean and dry - no staining or anything else. Makes me think I should put some sealant around them, or just plan on aftermarket mats, perhaps.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 05:05 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmmm... Good Tip - seriously
Makes me think it's time to clean the inside of the rig - perhaps once the snow and muck leaves Denver.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:32 AM
Mudding
Received 247 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
The genuine LR front rubber mats leak water through the mounting pin holes... so water leaks thru the floor mat onto the rubber flooring, cannot evaporate since it has a rubber mat on top, and in my case then sat here since my offloading trip in early December.

Note: pulled up the side panel and under seat access cover by the subwoofer, water does not appear to then be going thru the mounting pegs onto the metal floor below which was my fear.

The mats were bone dry on top, the underside was a mildewy wet mess.

How is that a good thing / how on earth they designed them this way is beyond me.

Anyone know if other aftermarket mats still leak through their mounting points as well? (taxmat, weather tech (which I think look tacky)..., etc?)

Water pools in here, as it is supposed to, then leaks through these round mounting holes. As a test, tried filling up the matt with water on our outdoor table and it steadily dripped out of both mounting pegs.

This is all from the mat itself, not a leak in the car

Mine do the same thing.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (01-14-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here…
Snow melts, water leaks though mounting clips and I end up with either a puddle or a frozen mess under the mats.

The following 3 users liked this post by manu:
DrPizz (01-09-2023), ficklma1 (01-09-2023), nashvegas (01-05-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

So what are the best aftermarket options? I've liked Weathertech in other vehicles but if they look terrible or don't work well for the Defender, I'd be interested in hearing other options - preferably before my factory ones start leaking!

Old 01-06-2023, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

For some strange reason, I decided to go with the WeatherTec versions. I think because the back row in my 110 came with a single piece from them while the OEM was three pieces (each side & middle). But it's been longer than my brain cells have been alive, so I've either forgotten or don't recall the details properly. Anyway, the point is -- not a problem on my WeatherTecs as they don't have that grommet attachment point. It's built into the "unimold" (or whatever the term is). As a result, to paraphrase an old commercial: the wet side stays wet and the dry side stays dry. I don't write this to gloat, but to give future buyers details to make decisions. Further, I find that the footwell floormats have worked very well. However, the boot one SUCKED. It was cheesy and slid around too much. I liked the heavy duty, rubbery configuration of the OEM so I then bought one of those. My bad for R&D'ing for everyone - but the rear boot version of the WeatherTec I would not recommend.

Good luck to those making a choice. Ymmv.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
D-Fens (01-06-2023), manu (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 08:33 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I've installed Tuxmats - excellent fit and protection so far.

The following 3 users liked this post by MattF:
D-Fens (01-06-2023), ficklma1 (01-06-2023), manu (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
For some strange reason, I decided to go with the WeatherTec versions. I think because the back row in my 110 came with a single piece from them while the OEM was three pieces (each side & middle). But it's been longer than my brain cells have been alive, so I've either forgotten or don't recall the details properly. Anyway, the point is -- not a problem on my WeatherTecs as they don't have that grommet attachment point. It's built into the "unimold" (or whatever the term is). As a result, to paraphrase an old commercial: the wet side stays wet and the dry side stays dry. I don't write this to gloat, but to give future buyers details to make decisions. Further, I find that the footwell floormats have worked very well. However, the boot one SUCKED. It was cheesy and slid around too much. I liked the heavy duty, rubbery configuration of the OEM so I then bought one of those. My bad for R&D'ing for everyone - but the rear boot version of the WeatherTec I would not recommend.

Good luck to those making a choice. Ymmv.
Same issue with the rear Weathertech liner, so I cut a piece of carpet pad to fit and problem solved.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:47 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by manu
Same here…
Snow melts, water leaks though mounting clips and I end up with either a puddle or a frozen mess under the mats.
I noticed the same when I just pulled mine up.

The following 2 users liked this post by DrPizz:
ficklma1 (01-09-2023), nashvegas (01-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Front rubber LR floor mats suck