Sponsored by:

front undershield

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 11:17 AM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default front undershield

Hi all,
Does anyone out there have the front under shield on their vehicle? I really like the idea of having the exposed front tow hook and added protection, but wanted to see if others that have it think its a worthy add-on. I've had my Defender for a few months now, so this is an add-on not a build. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. My dealer is quoting 650 for installation on top of the 800 cost of the part. I'd say this is third on my add-on list after side steps and the wheel arch protection, so again, wanted to get people's thoughts. I've watched the Powerful UK installation video, and it looks to be a littlie outside my comfort zone. . Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by fred237:
curb-optional (06-17-2024), DefenderSmitty (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is a must have for towing and off-road......the installation charge is a complete rip-off......

The following users liked this post:
gwelland (02-22-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had to use the front tow hook already to get the Defender out of a jam. Removing the plastic cover is a complete PITA but having done it once already, I think there is a way to keep the plastic cover partially on there but trim away with a Dremel part of the cover so the hook is always accessible. I think this can be done where it looks original and not bastardized. To me, the cost of the undershield piece is a total rip off especially since the hook and infrastructure is already there. That install charge is ridiculous!

gwelland (02-22-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by merrion13
I've had to use the front tow hook already to get the Defender out of a jam. Removing the plastic cover is a complete PITA but having done it once already, I think there is a way to keep the plastic cover partially on there but trim away with a Dremel part of the cover so the hook is always accessible. I think this can be done where it looks original and not bastardized. To me, the cost of the undershield piece is a total rip off especially since the hook and infrastructure is already there. That install charge is ridiculous!
I’m adding it as a port-installed accessory. Not applicable to the OP, but that reduces the install a lot. I did decide that having that tow hook exposed was a necessity.

I think the shield also includes a reinforced mount, at least as per the amazing powerfuluk. Still expensive, but I think it’s an important evil.

Juancl (04-30-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the install. It’s a PITA and takes a few hours. I watched the British guys from PowerfulUK claim you can do it without dropping the bumper. I tried, it’s close to impossible. I ended up dropping the bumper and it’s a LOT faster than the 1.5 extra hours I spent fiddling. With clips I couldn’t get to. $650 is a ripoff. But if they are charging $150/hr, it can easily take 3-4 hours. The piece is pretty robust and includes a new reinforced frame for mounting.

DonMitsu (06-19-2024)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
I did the install. It’s a PITA and takes a few hours. I watched the British guys from PowerfulUK claim you can do it without dropping the bumper. I tried, it’s close to impossible. I ended up dropping the bumper and it’s a LOT faster than the 1.5 extra hours I spent fiddling. With clips I couldn’t get to. $650 is a ripoff. But if they are charging $150/hr, it can easily take 3-4 hours. The piece is pretty robust and includes a new reinforced frame for mounting.
Makes me extra glad I rolled over and added it as port installed. Dealer labour rates are high here (more than $150!) so it was a win/win/win for me. I watched the same video and just decided that was too much faff and I’d be grumpy!

Old 01-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is this “port install”? When I placed my order last week, the dealer said all accessories could only be added at the dealership at their rates. So I’m only having them install the front undershield and I’m installing the rest.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by JHDefender
What is this “port install”? When I placed my order last week, the dealer said all accessories could only be added at the dealership at their rates. So I’m only having them install the front undershield and I’m installing the rest.
I ordered Friday. Was told there’s a (small) subset of accessories that they can get installed at the port when it arrives stateside. Still a labour charge, but much lower than the dealer.

interesting everyone gets a slightly different story. I’d imagine there’s more revenue for a dealer doing it at their rates, but that’s my cynical side.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
I am going to order the undershield as soon as my dealer is willing to accept my payment, which they will only do if JLR America provides them a delivery date -- which doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. IS ANYONE RECEIVING GOOD DELIVERY DATES TO ORDER NOW ?

Thanks for the PowerfulUK videos, I am also resolved to order the winch at the same time, and install the winch and under shield at the same time -- that way the bumper only comes off once. I will self-install, once Spring arrives, thanks to the videos and your posted photos, and because the JLR cost is crazy high.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I am going to order the undershield as soon as my dealer is willing to accept my payment, which they will only do if JLR America provides them a delivery date -- which doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. IS ANYONE RECEIVING GOOD DELIVERY DATES TO ORDER NOW ?

Thanks for the PowerfulUK videos, I am also resolved to order the winch at the same time, and install the winch and under shield at the same time -- that way the bumper only comes off once. I will self-install, once Spring arrives, thanks to the videos and your posted photos, and because the JLR cost is crazy high.
which winch mount are you using?

Quick Reply: front undershield