Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front undershield

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ba_
The front undershield VPLEP0436 says it is for 2020-2023. Does it also fit 2024 or is there a new part?
Nothing is changed on the front, so VPLEP0436 and aftermarket undershields just fit.

The following users liked this post:
ba_ (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 05:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by ba_
The front undershield VPLEP0436 says it is for 2020-2023. Does it also fit 2024 or is there a new part?
It stopped being available as a stand alone part for MY24 in the US market. You had to get some package with the raised corners. That could be the reason it doesn't show as fitting but nothing has changed in the Defender itself so it should fit fine.

ba_ (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 05:40 PM
ba_
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
It stopped being available as a stand alone part for MY24 in the US market. You had to get some package with the raised corners. That could be the reason it doesn't show as fitting but nothing has changed in the Defender itself so it should fit fine.
it seemed to be only available with the front expedition system with the A frame protection bar.

thanks I’ll order from rovers north and install

Old 06-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,302 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by ba_
it seemed to be only available with the front expedition system with the A frame protection bar.

thanks I’ll order from rovers north and install
No worries.
With the price of the front expedition system + dealer installation costs, I'd sooner spend a little more and get a steel front bumper on aftermarket. Some very nice options now.

The undershield is a good bit of kit. Mine has taken it's share of dings. I picked up a replacement shield from a breakers in TX after my first one was beginning to overtly display my crappy line selection efforts to the other half.

ba_ (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a D110 and a D90 and had the front under shield installed on both post buy. Still frustrated over the cost but I think it a useful and necessary accessory. I watched Sarek install on the D110 without removing the bumper, grill, etc. Lift absolutely necessary and a tight fit, but doable. PS Sarek actually let me stand in the work area (within reason) and watch the work being done. My mechanical experience consisted of several wrenches (spanners) and a ball peen hammer. These plastic bits intimidate me. Dealer prices for parts and labor are all over the place!

ba_ (06-18-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ba_
...and that is only for the S trim.

It is not available as an option for X-Dynamic SE, regrettably, but is available as a standalone item (not the "expedition system") for X, as of the moment of writing.

Old 06-19-2024, 10:24 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

I had to order the front under shield / skid plate as a SEPARATE item for my 110x that shipped standard with the black plastic under shield, I suppose to continue the black theme of the hood, roof, etc design decision by JLR. At the time I ordered in Feb 2022 (model year 2023) the dealer sales rep couldn’t get clarification if the images showing it black were plastic or metal (wouldn’t metal have been nice).

I have little doubt I would have been able to order and have the skid plate installed at time of vehicle purchase had the sales rep(s) been more informed. C’est la vie. In fact the dealership I worked through sold and installed, at my time of purchase, the Explorer Package accessories separately (roof rack, raised air intake, lunch box, ladder,etc). Why on earth LRD did NOT offer the front under shield/skid plate as an option I’m still baffled over. When I did my price comparison between ‘order from factory’ and ‘have dealer do it’ , having the dealer supply and install the accessories separately was cheaper. I forget the exact $ amount but I recall saving close to enough to buy the LRD internal air compressor and have the dealer do the install.

My black plastic air dam (as I affectionately thought of it) definitely has its share of grooves and gouges. I considered them scratches of honor on a new rig :-D LOL The LRD optional brushed alum skid plate and support structure is now installed and it’s fit and finish is spot on as I’ve posted in another thread here. For me, I would have preferred the under shield / skid / bash plate installed when I originally purchased. It all worked out okay as I had the unit installed at same time as rock rails a few weeks ago. Better late than never :-)

Old 06-20-2024, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadiable Paradox
...and that is only for the S trim.

It is not available as an option for X-Dynamic SE, regrettably, but is available as a standalone item (not the "expedition system") for X, as of the moment of writing.
I think any trim can get the Front Expedition System, in the US showing about $1,900. I too didn't see how I could have ordered just the front under shield portion, which I would have done for sure. I have an older LR and back then, the model had a single exposed recovery hook up front + a metal skid plate - both standard. The skid plate & recovery hook are black, so you can't really tell it's metal (vs plastic) until you get up close. I don't get why it's not offered & I too will ask my dealer about it for my MY 2025 build - maybe I will be able to add it in.

Old 06-20-2024, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
I think any trim can get the Front Expedition System, in the US showing about $1,900.
Heh... Either $1,617.98 for VPLE110FEP01, or $2,717.98 for VPLE110FEP02 as of today. Where did you get your number? (not being facetious; LR configurators are notorious for being many and slightly different - apparently just nudging us towards the humans in the loop)

I too didn't see how I could have ordered just the front under shield portion, which I would have done for sure.
VPLEP0436. One of those "invisible options" you have to know about.

I have an older LR and back then, the model had a single exposed recovery hook up front + a metal skid plate - both standard. The skid plate & recovery hook are black, so you can't really tell it's metal (vs plastic) until you get up close. I don't get why it's not offered & I too will ask my dealer about it for my MY 2025 build - maybe I will be able to add it in.
Management complexity. If you take a look at assembly/installation instructions for "invisible options", you will see that in most cases it's not a snap on, there's some cutting, drilling, and fitting required.

Old 06-21-2024, 06:18 AM
Mudding
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

From the web page Paradox provided links to:

The system includes a premium ‘A’ frame protection bar with an attractive Ceres Silver Satin insert and lower section, raised corners, and a front undershield where required.”

What are the “raised corners?”

I ordered the undershield for my 2023 110S but didn’t spend the extra $ on the A frame. Do the raised corners change the approach angle? Do they relocate the low-hanging extra radiators?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: front undershield