2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Seattle tomorrow to see the Grenadier, what questions do you have

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Going to Seattle tomorrow to see the Grenadier, what questions do you have

I know this is not an L663 topic but many of us in this forum have talked about the Grenadier. I will be driving my Defender to Seattle so it will be fun to compare the two. I do have money down on buying a Grenadier and I will be keeping my Defender.

I have been invited to see the Grenadier tomorrow in person and talk with Greg Clark the head of US Distribution. Let me know what questions you might have. From some people, I have spoken to in San Fran and LA; the back is more of the size of an LR4 than the new Defender.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Why does it look like a cheap Chinese copy of a Defender? 😂

The following 2 users liked this post by Yulongtd6:
Mechano2020 (02-01-2022), _Allegedly (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Who designed their 4 wheel drive mechanical and electronic Off-road logic platform and specified and wrote the logic to control their brakes, differentials and throttle responses -- or is it fully old school (similar to the G-wagon)?

The "Who" is what I am after, please.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 01-31-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Will do and I want to make sure I am asking it the right question for you. Who coded the system to when you are running in 4H or 4L with open differentials, or using the Hill Decent Control? Determining wheel slip and what not.

There are no off-road programs and three locking diffs that you control similar to the G-wagon. The off-road button on top kills all the nannies parking sensors

Old 01-31-2022, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
Why does it look like a cheap Chinese copy of a Defender? 😂
I'll make sure to ask them that question. It looks more like the old defender, the g-wagon, and troopy had a baby when you look at it.

Cool part, Alu cab has already made a video of them driving the Grenadier and have committed to making aftermarket parts,including cutting out the roof for their roof conversion. Old Man EMU, ARB and FR have committed to parts.The switch panel that is in the Grenadier is prewired front and back so it is a quick plug and play. You can order it with factory-installed red winch.

In your terms it is a Chinese knock off that has G-Wagon inspired suspension (manga designed and built it), Axels of a tractor (Carraro), German engine (BMW B58) and ZF drivetrain, and about 40 ECU

Old 01-31-2022, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

ask about the dealer network.........

Old 02-01-2022, 05:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 104 Likes on 38 Posts

I saw it live last month and in person it looks great! deliveries here will be in June/July and any service related stuff will be done through BMW service centers.

the only let down is the gear lever

Old 02-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
I know this is not an L663 topic but many of us in this forum have talked about the Grenadier. I will be driving my Defender to Seattle so it will be fun to compare the two. I do have money down on buying a Grenadier and I will be keeping my Defender.

I have been invited to see the Grenadier tomorrow in person and talk with Greg Clark the head of US Distribution. Let me know what questions you might have. From some people, I have spoken to in San Fran and LA; the back is more of the size of an LR4 than the new Defender.
1 - will they have parts available in US ? in time ?
2 - service network - are they ready for day 1 ?
3 - why BMW engines ? they are notoriously oil guzzlers ( however, better than having a Mercedes engine )
4 - pricing

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
From some people, I have spoken to in San Fran and LA; the back is more of the size of an LR4 than the new Defender.
If possible, can you get the measurements of the rear cargo area...width, length and height? Coming from an LR4, the Defender rear cargo area is small. (Or my daughters simply take way too much stuff to college)

And if the rear cargo area is bigger, how does the second row leg room look?

Old 02-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

My only question, which is rhetorical, is why would they design it with solid axles? And as a footnote, I’m quite happy with my Defender compared to the Grenadier, as the interior dash and controls look like it was made from parts from Radio Shack and designed by the local high school auto shop. I am quite aware of the interest and awe it inspires, but in my humble opinion, if I won one in a lottery or contest I would sell it and buy another Defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
Mechano2020 (02-01-2022), PaulLR (02-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Going to Seattle tomorrow to see the Grenadier, what questions do you have