2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 05:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Without a doubt, I would be messing with the lens from PowerfulUk. They have exceptional Customer Experience. I bet if you pinged them, they would respond since they don't have a video. Here's a link to a heat gun I got ages ago and it comes in handy more than I thought! (
Link Link
) Typically heat shrinking wires which I used to do with a lighter (yeah, I can be dumb sometimes...).

First thing I would do would be to remove the headlight. Simon has plenty of videos of that. Then I would go to town with the heat gun. Whats the worse thing that could happen? Oh, yeah. You'd have to replace the entire unit... That's what you'd have to do if the option wasn't there anyway. So before I started there, I'd heat gun the crap out it. Take pics & videos for the next schmo!! (which could be me one day...)

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 06:19 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Without a doubt, I would be messing with the lens from PowerfulUk. They have exceptional Customer Experience. I bet if you pinged them, they would respond since they don't have a video. Here's a link to a heat gun I got ages ago and it comes in handy more than I thought! (Link) Typically heat shrinking wires which I used to do with a lighter (yeah, I can be dumb sometimes...).

First thing I would do would be to remove the headlight. Simon has plenty of videos of that. Then I would go to town with the heat gun. Whats the worse thing that could happen? Oh, yeah. You'd have to replace the entire unit... That's what you'd have to do if the option wasn't there anyway. So before I started there, I'd heat gun the crap out it. Take pics & videos for the next schmo!! (which could be me one day...)

Good luck!
You’ve read my mind. I watched Simon’s video on removing the headlight and it’s actually very simple, although the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when he grasped the trim pieces and wrenched them off like he was wrestling a steer to the ground. I’ll apply a little more finesse to remove the headlight assembly, and break out my heat gun, as you suggested, and once the adhesive has softened I believe it will peel away intact. If not, I can ‘persuade’ it with a Dremel tool with a cutting disc to separate the lens from the housing. I plan to attach the new lens with some two-part epoxy and with luck can pull this off for under $200. Going to order the lens from PowerfulUK this evening, keep everyone updated.

GrouseK9 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 06:44 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

One thing to consider is once you break the seal on a headlight sometimes they will fog up and condensation will form because it’s not water tight. I would google how to waterproof a broken headlight/taillight. I’ve heard putting in an oxygen absorber might add to the waterproofing of the lens but that’s just a guess. Keep us posted.

GrouseK9 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by markjlr
One thing to consider is once you break the seal on a headlight sometimes they will fog up and condensation will form because it’s not water tight. I would google how to waterproof a broken headlight/taillight. I’ve heard putting in an oxygen absorber might add to the waterproofing of the lens but that’s just a guess. Keep us posted.
Thanks for that consideration. I’ll give that some thought on ways to do it in a dry environment. In south Florida the AC is always on, so the relative humidity in the house is pretty low, if I do the work inside. Maybe also use a heat gun on low and hyper-dry the open cavity before I press the new lens into place, hopefully eliminating any moisture to fog up once sealed. If anything, it’ll be a learning experience, worthy of a MacGyver moment.