Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield and the HUD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heated Windshield and the HUD

I am ordering a new 2022 and the only way to get the heated steering wheel is to order the cold pack with includes the heated windshield. I had a heated windshield on a Range Rover and did not like it as the wires were noticeable and it made the HUD fuzzy looking to me. My car is garaged and I live in the South so little chance of snow maybe only ice if it was left outside. Can anyone who has the heated windshield comment of how pronounced the heating element lines are and if it messes with the clarity of the HUD? Maybe LR has improved their design since my 2016 Range Rover? Thank you.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Can’t comment on HUD but the heated windshield elements on my ‘20 Defender appear no different from my ‘15 RR.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I find the windshield elements to be particularly noticeable at night with headlights. It makes that area look blurry. I don’t have the HUD to be able to speak to, but for general visibility the heated windshield is noticeable to my eyes.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:54 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Car007
I am ordering a new 2022 and the only way to get the heated steering wheel is to order the cold pack with includes the heated windshield. I had a heated windshield on a Range Rover and did not like it as the wires were noticeable and it made the HUD fuzzy looking to me. My car is garaged and I live in the South so little chance of snow maybe only ice if it was left outside. Can anyone who has the heated windshield comment of how pronounced the heating element lines are and if it messes with the clarity of the HUD? Maybe LR has improved their design since my 2016 Range Rover? Thank you.

I wanted the heated steering wheel for my 2020 P400 HSE but opted not too because it had to come with a heated windshield. I, too, find the wires distracting. I live in Northern California so I didn’t really have a need for the heated windshield. I did add the HUD and I love it! I think it’s worth the upgrade. I don’t miss the heated steering wheel too much since I do have heated/cooling seats and I think that makes up for it.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:35 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

I have both. Haven't paid attention to the filaments of the heated windshield since my first RRS 15 years ago - I guess my eyes are trained to focus beyond them, so they are a non-issue to me. The HUD is very sharp and clear in my eyes, not affected by the heated windshield one bit. Only polarized sunglasses wash it off.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
I have both. Haven't paid attention to the filaments of the heated windshield since my first RRS 15 years ago - I guess my eyes are trained to focus beyond them, so they are a non-issue to me. The HUD is very sharp and clear in my eyes, not affected by the heated windshield one bit. Only polarized sunglasses wash it off.
How bad is it with polarized glasses?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the heated windshield and HUD. No issues with polarized glasses and barely noticeable in daylight. They are somewhat noticeable at night, but easy enough to ignore. For me in the Northeast, the heated windshield has been amazing.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

The HUD in the F-Pace we had did not affect me wearing polarized glasses. It also had the heating element. That was a 2017 model and I’m pretty sure they upgraded the HUD across the entire range since then with full color display.

Living in Dallas now, so I really don’t need the winter pack but I ordered it anyway on the Defender if only for the heated steering wheel. The heating element does not bother me at all but a mate of mine was in my RRS and he noticed the heating element and wondered what it was. So, I think your main concern will be the fact that it’s noticeable when you first drive your car in the rain. I don’t think HUD will give you issues with your polarized glasses regardless of heating element.

Originally Posted by Ahparke
How bad is it with polarized glasses?

Old 04-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok perfect thank you both TheMoke and Landry718.

im in the northeast so cold weather pack was a must, very excited for heated windshield. I wear polarized glasses a lot when driving so that would be too bad if the HUD didn’t look great with it but sounds like it should be no issue.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:34 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Polarized glasses are definitely a big issue for me. Depending on sun position, the HUD either disappears completely or becomes very faint to the point of being barely legible. Under cloudy skies or in the shadows the issue is minimized, but so is the need to wear sunglasses to begin with...

Anyway, it sounds like this may be subjective (and probably sunglass model based as well, I wear Maui Jim FYI), so hopefully it won't be a big deal for you. And non-polarized sunglasses do exist.

Quick Reply: Heated Windshield and the HUD