Sponsored by:

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 09:16 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yangpei

I finally got a chance to use the new bike rack
My local dealer is only offering the hitch with "the ball", do you have any idea what the part number is for this type of hitch?<

Old 12-11-2023, 09:23 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chirito
Hi, do you mind posting the link of the extension?

1up is here: https://1up-usa.com/product/2-hitch-extender

Kuat is here: https://www.kuat.com/product/hi-lo-pro/

I have the 1up rack but will be getting the Kuat extension for the added clearance. Both of them have multiple YouTube vids on them for review.

Remember an extension cuts the tongue weight limit by 50%. Albeit... the Defender has something like 750lbs tongue weight limit.

Last edited by bowhun2r; 12-11-2023 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chirito (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with the Rocky Mounts Backstage with the Kuat High/Low extender. Really happy with it so far.

bowhun2r (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 02:19 PM
ba_
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 1up so I’ll start with a hitch extender and then get a rakattach if I find myself needing to get in and out of the boot with the rack on.

For those of you with a 90, is it possible to fit a bike inside with the seats folded down in a pinch? With the front wheel off I suppose

Old 02-22-2024, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by disco96sd
spare tire mount is better IMO
I’ve seen on here that folks in the know (Engineers or whatever) do not recommend spare tire mount. Tailgate was not designed apparently to carry that kind of extra load. Just what I heard

Old 02-22-2024, 10:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by PaulLR
For those of you going with the Rakattach, here is another dilemma...which swing direction. I originally ordered the passenger side swing thinking that I don't want to swing the bikes into the travel lane if pulled over on the side of a road and need to open the rear door. For example, if I got a flat tire and need to get at the jack and tool kit.

Then today I decided to switch my Rakattach order to the driver side swing. It will be easier to have the bike rack swing one way and the rear door swing the other way. I certainly hope I'm swinging the bike rack and door to go bike riding more often than changing a flat tire on a highway.
@PaulLR So how do you like having the RakAttach swing one way and the tailgate the other? I am considering this setup. Also, I was under the assumption that the RakAttach can be used in either direction. In other words, you don’t have to order a specific side. No?

Old 02-22-2024, 10:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Defender13
thought I would post pics. This is the 1up double rack with a 7” extension. Works great.
@Defender13 I was looking at your 1Up bike rack with 7 inch extension. With a bike mounted, and folded all the way down at the 45 degree position, can you Open the tailgate? Thanks

Old 02-22-2024, 10:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Tartan
Well, I got the Rack Attach from 1up to use with my 1up rack, and I wish someone had mentioned the absurd weight of this before I ordered it. Didn’t bother looking at the specs after seeing all the nice pictures here, but this thing is ridiculous. I foresee another hernia operation if I use this, and will probably just send it back as it’s not a big deal to just tilt the rack down to open the door a little as opposed to lugging this Sherman tank part around. I take my rack off and on regularly, so no way I’m doing that with this monster. Too bad 1up doesn’t make something lighter in aluminum. I’ll look and see if the pivot is the same weight, but if it is, that would be a hard no as well. Back to using the extension.
@Tartan Does just using an extension (how long?) allow partial opening of tailgate? How much can you open it with bike mounted? With no bike mounted? I’m tossing around idea of RakAttach but I agree with you that I don’t want to mess with pulling it on and off all the time.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:40 AM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by longtrip68
@Tartan Does just using an extension (how long?) allow partial opening of tailgate? How much can you open it with bike mounted? With no bike mounted? I’m tossing around idea of RakAttach but I agree with you that I don’t want to mess with pulling it on and off all the time.
You can leave the RakAttach on and just take the bike rack itself on and off as needed. And while it is heavy, it's not that difficult to take the RakAttach on and off provided that you have the tailgate door open.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

I will leave my RakAttach on for most of the summer unless I need to tow my side by side. It can sit back there and it makes little to no difference when using the Defender. I agree its a bit heavy, but for the few times I mess with it, I don't really care.

For those that are looking to purchase a RakAttach, go for the smaller size. It saves a bit of weight and works well with the Defender. I have the old version that you had to pick a side prior to ordering. The new version allows you to flip it over so it can open to either side. I have mine open to the passenger side just like the door. It allows me to get better access to the cargo area.

Rob

Muppetry (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110