Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLD feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,204 Likes on 649 Posts
Default HOLD feature

Is there a way to 100% turn off the "HOLD" feature on the Defender. Ie -- when you press the brake pedal it says HOLD in green on the cluster and you have to goose the gas a bit to move on?

Here is why. I sometimes park the Defender in a very small spot that requires a bit of back and forth. And my other half keeps hitting my trash cans trying to mosey up to them in reverse / forward because when HOLD is on the dash, it lurches forward a bit more than we like. (I've tried explaining not to engage hold... but it always seems to...)

I have "enhanced hill hold" off all the time (I'm not sure what it really does actually)... I'm just referencing the standard hold feature.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,259 Likes on 749 Posts

@nashvegas - I believe that I recall when you hit the brake aggressively it turns on the enhanced hill hold automatically. The challenge is, what you would consider aggressive, what I consider it, what JLR considers it, and what every driver considers it - all vary. So, you may be triggering it on for that vehicle moment/activity. Then it goes back to Hold Assist. I'll try to look up some threads on it and will post if I find them.

EDIT: "On Demand Hold". Here's the entire "gospel" from JLR (Link). Down at the bottom may be one of the ways it is being triggered without the Hold Assist being turned on. Grrrr, these are the "conveniences" I wish you could intentionally turn off. Then again, I've read the posts about people who hear a backup warning, think it's something else & safe, only to hit a different thing. I bet enough of these people sue that they have taken the stance to override ALL customer preferences.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 03-23-2022 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kev M (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,411 Likes on 713 Posts

Oh man, I've been dealing with this too!

I love auto brake hold when driving but I wish the button could be moved to the home screen instead of the 2nd layer under the settings gear.

Where it's hard to use is pulling out from the garage. It takes a little horsing to get it to release and then you're moving back too fast so you try to drag the cold brakes but it bites and holds again.

In short, I want it off at home but on while driving around.

I've been driving with it off but you have to come to a complete stop then release a little and give the brakes a firm pump to engage it at a light. Not as graceful at all.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 03-23-2022 at 04:57 PM.
mopadzi (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:57 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd have to go out and test, but I thought if you had your foot on the brake and have engaged hold with a hard press you can tap the accelerator pedal and it clears hold. But, your foot is still on the brake pedal so vehicle won't move.

Honestly I've never had an issue with the hold function in the 15 months I've had it and I park in plenty of tight spots all the time.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by rutiger
I'd have to go out and test, but I thought if you had your foot on the brake and have engaged hold with a hard press you can tap the accelerator pedal and it clears hold. But, your foot is still on the brake pedal so vehicle won't move.

Honestly I've never had an issue with the hold function in the 15 months I've had it and I park in plenty of tight spots all the time.
Yes, that's right but that's with auto-hold turned off.

With it on, brake hold does not require that hard press. It just activates at every single stop, even coming out of a parking spot after a cold start when the engine is revving harder to warm up and the brakes are cold so they just bite really easily. You press the gas to release the brake and the truck (mine at least) lurches pretty hard so I have to go right to the brake which often stops the car enough to re-engage, you guessed it, the auto-hold. Repeat.

It looks like when someone is trying to learn to drive a stick.

This also sounds like I'm just a really bad driver. I've been driving 35 years and I've never had an accident. My last ticket was in 1991 on my way to my girlfriend's house. The best part is, she became my wife and I love her dearly. Just had to write that.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 03-23-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench

I'll try the trick @rutiger mentions above ... tap the gas when the brake pedal is also depressed. Maybe that works.

I can say, mine is borderline comically herky jerky when cold started and this hold thing kicks on... almost like an early E46 SMG transmission if anyone has driven one of those.

Still love the Defender, just whack.

Also today I was on a residential street and I noticed it said speed limit 80 on the HUD. Lol. It's 20.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:11 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Turning on/off the auto hold feature seems to
be at right at the first level of the Settings menu with the gear icon ⚙️. Pretty easy to access

Old 03-24-2022, 12:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Polar993
be at right at the first level of the Settings menu with the gear icon ⚙️. Pretty easy to access
Nope - that's not it. Turn it off, and I press brake pedal very moderately (not what I would describe as hard). On mine, the green HOLD light still comes on and it holds. Unless something's screwed up...

Old 03-24-2022, 05:12 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Polar993
I already have to go into access height to get in the garage. I'd prefer to have brake hold as a top level option since it's so touchy in tight parking spots. It's especially bad when the rotors get wet and they rust a little. That's a couple times a week in Florida.

First world problem I know but I'd love a couple of custom modes that I could configure. Hell, Tesla has geo-fencing on their air suspension. No reason it can't be automatic whenever I'm home or in a specific parking garage.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

I dealt with this for a while too.

I have the auto hold turned off. But I was pressing the brake too hard at a full stop and it was turning back on.

FWIW I believe you CAN shut it off manually using the parking brake release switch on the left side of the dash, left of the steering column even while your foot is still on the brake. I'm not sure if that only works when you have the auto hold setting turned off. But IF IT DOES work with the auto on that would be a solution to your problem @allegedly .

For me, I have now MOSTLY learned to press the brake a little more gently even at long stops. But it does occasionally turn back on for me (and when it does I usually use that switch to turn it back off).

GrouseK9 (03-24-2022)

Quick Reply: HOLD feature