Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 02:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hotspot

From the say I picked up my Defender 110 First in June, there has never been a way to utilize the hotspot that we paid for in the car (my dealer just shrugged). That was until this weekend, during the sudden and very poorly executed update, it miraculously appeared when I looked this morning in the Connectivity section of the settings. I was even able to sign in to it, test the speed (decent), and use it from my iPhone. Then as suddenly as it appeared, I lost the connection and when I looked back under the Connectivity tab, that capability was no longer there. REALLY???

I have been involved with tech my entire career and usually leverage auto-updating routines as a rule, but I have never seen anything as flaky as this LandRover over the air updating.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Jay

Old 10-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

How do you tell if you have the hotspot package? I have what looks like two phone strength icons on my Pivi Pro, but never had the option to connect. I bought off the lot, and didn't really care about connectivity options, so I didn't pay attention to that part. How is it listed on the window sticker?

Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

"Wi-fi enabled with Data Plan" is the window sticker description of the US$360.00 (MY2020 price, not sure if that option has changed for upcoming 2021s) online data pack option that includes all-you-can-eat data + hotspot features - independent of your cell phone - for 1 year, then my understanding is that you need to pay to renew it. 4G data service appears to be provided by AT&T, at least here in my area, no complaints from my daughters with their iPads thus far. Connected Navigation Subscription - automatic map data updates - should be included for 3 years for everyone. Also, it appears the Remote app, SOS and Land Rover Assistance buttons in the car also have a subscription expiration of 3 years from date of original purchase.

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/...ivi/index.html

Last edited by umbertob; 10-26-2020 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corgi_Express (10-26-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

The data pack and the Land Rover services are two separate things. The data pack allows you to have a hot spot for IOT while the Services control the app, and Land Rover Assistance. No matter what all Defenders have a SIM card that will be used for updates. The data pack either adds an additional SIM card or you are able to use the one that is already installed. Also, you have the ability for the car to attach to WIFI. Where we park the car is close to the house and we get a WIFI signal. It's nice to use if you need to download something for the car. Another option is turning your phone into a hotspot and allowing your car to connect to it if you want to download something and you are not near your house.