Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Quit: 3rd Windshield in 18 months

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 03:21 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
I have full glass cover. I am not going to file a 3rd claim in a year for fear of my rates going up. Saving that $1500 will end up costing me twice as much in the long run.

I know progressive makes a stink after number 6 in 18mths if that helps at all. Almost all larger SUV's have this issue or similar, my X5MC picked up one on day one and four more during the next year. Here in AZ everything is under construction it's just apart of the game when driving a brick down the road.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are easily cracked windshields a common problem for defenders? Mine was cracked (inexplicably) at the dealership last September when it had less than 1,000 miles on it. Had to wait 2 months to get a replacement. No issues since, though.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think the solar attenuating windshield will make things better or worse?

I've heard of other cars having issues with their windshields chipping now more than ever, apparently it has something to do with manufacturers using thinner glass to save weight. Its a huge problem on the new M3/M4.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I've been looking for something like this (apparently not that hard)! Have you used it / has it worked well for you? Any downsides? I'm thinking of calling the local installer tomorrow.
My defender is not here yet but I use clearplex on all my sport cars, GT2, Pista, 765LT. I do a lot of mountain runs with friends and the cars are low so when we drive fast and follow each other closely it kicks up tons of small pebbles and rocks. Its a wear and tear item just like paint protection film. On a defender the car sits so high it would last a lot longer than cars that sit lower to the ground. My Pista has 7500km mostly all from mountain driving and the film takes a beating there are at least 20-30 small marks on the film. I had the film for 3 years and still looks fine...on a truck/SUV will last a lot longer

The following users liked this post:
D-Fens (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
I've been looking for something like this (apparently not that hard)! Have you used it / has it worked well for you? Any downsides? I'm thinking of calling the local installer tomorrow.
My defender is not here yet but I use clearplex on all my sport cars, GT2, Pista, 765LT. I do a lot of mountain runs with friends and the cars are low so when we drive fast and follow each other closely it kicks up tons of small pebbles and rocks. Its a wear and tear item just like paint protection film. On a defender the car sits so high it would last a lot longer than cars that sit lower to the ground. My Pista has 7500km mostly all from mountain driving and the film takes a beating there are at least 20-30 small marks on the film. I had the film for 3 years and still looks fine...on a truck/SUV will last a lot longer. I live in Taiwan, everything including install is around $250-300 US dollars.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

^^ That story gets better every time you tell it!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Sweet. Glad they are saving so much weight on a 5400 pound SUV with their ****ty glass.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

You quit 2 days ago but you can't quit! Don't ditch the Defender... come on stick with it. !!!

Old 06-02-2022, 03:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I did have my Defender's windshield protected, but I'm not sure about the brand/product. I can ask the team that did it for me.

My biggest worry was at time of install they said I should try to minimize wiper blade usage when the windshield is dry because that (in theory, they supposed) can scratch it. Well, the wipers have the sprayers on them - not on the hood assembly - so in certain instances youlle need to activate your wipers first. I was hesitant, so I'm Guinea-pigging the product for them, which they installed at a discount due to my major reluctance.

I'm thrilled so far. Nothing wrong with my windshield thus far. No scary scratches, chips, broken windshields. I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited by Drewes; 06-02-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:18 PM
8th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

EU and US got same windshields? I had tire studs leaving marks on my windshield twice last winter, yet there was no cracks.

Quick Reply: I Quit: 3rd Windshield in 18 months