Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 06:22 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior Door Panel Removal

Hi All - I took delivery of my 2021 X-Dynamic HSE two weeks ago. 750 glorious miles so far. While taking a tour of the vehicle, one of my friends felt the need to press every surface and button. Comes with the territory, I suppose. Anyways, in doing so, they pushed the door indicator on the passenger rear door. Now, the indicator is depressed and hanging in the hole. Do I need to remove the entire door panel to pop it back into place? I removed all of the exposed bolts but the door panel would not come off easily and I did not want to force it so I put them back in place and figured I'd get clarity before breaking anything. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer but sadly it's a month out. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

NOTE: this is not an actual picture of my vehicle. Mine is black/black with rough cut walnut and dark gray trim. I really do love it and overall, it's been a great experience. Special car that always makes it feel like you are going on an adventure.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Look up the powerfuluk.com youtube videos. They seem to have taken the Defender apart and have videos on their adventures. They've probably got one about door card removal.

The following users liked this post:
BulldogDefender (04-19-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

First - Get rid of that friend immediately. What T F is wrong with that dude?

Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Alright...it was my sister in-law. Harder to get rid of. But open to suggestions

Old 04-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

suction cup and pull it?

Old 04-21-2021, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer the question, to remove the door cards you need to pry off the arm rest and the trim around the speakers, then unscrew an ungodly # of screws holding the panel on, then the exposed bolts.

You can download the service manual from here: https://www.easymanuals.co.uk/ I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't exorbitant. "Rear Door Trim Panel" removal is on page 8,232 (!) of 12,567.

I will warn you that the manual is almost impossible to navigate. While it is a PDF, it doesn't have a linked table of contents or index, you need to do searches and find the pages. I expect if you got the "official" version the links would all work.

The following users liked this post:
BulldogDefender (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sblvro
suction cup and pull it?
I don't know if you are kidding but I'm a fan of the path of least resistance so I ordered this. I can't imagine it will have the pressure but if it does...you are a genius.

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-22-2021, 06:28 AM
Drifting

This was meant to be in response to carlmuck:

Thank you and I'm guessing this is the right answer. If this is the case, I'll leave it to the service dept. I was able to get my appt. moved up to 5/10. I know it's small and impacts the vehicle in no way but it's new and I'd like it fixed (actually, I wished it never happened but that's life). I did remove all of the exposed bolts. It took 10 or so minutes and I covered the head of the screwdriver with a plastic bag to minimize metal on metal. When I had the bolts off there was still a lot of resistance which made me think there was a lot left to break that I couldn't see so I chalked it up to an L and put all the bolts back in.

Also noticed a very small chip in the middle of my windshield down low by the wipers. Barely noticeable but I haven't driven it much so I'm guessing the windshield rumors are true.

Unreal vehicle though! I was between this and the X5 (having driven BMWs for the last 15 years) and I couldn't be happier with the Defender. I'm just hoping the reliability rumors are overstated or the service experience isn't as bad as people make it sound. Or both!

Last edited by BulldogDefender; 04-22-2021 at 06:31 AM. Reason: forgot to quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BulldogDefender
I don't know if you are kidding but I'm a fan of the path of least resistance so I ordered this. I can't imagine it will have the pressure but if it does...you are a genius.

Amazon Amazon
Fail. It was a good idea though so thanks. The tool just isn't strong enough to hold once there is tension with the wires and friction with the opening. Talked to LR this morning. At least it will be covered under warranty. Just have to wait 2-3 weeks to get in.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out for you. But did you try to pull it quickly or there was no tension in the suction cup at all? Your friend must really be envious of you to put too much pressure on it.