Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Left Side Box/Hump

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 11:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Interior Left Side Box/Hump

I have noticed this item in a few Defenders on the internet, but cannot seem find them consistently. Thus, I am unsure which markets have this. I was wondering if anyone knows what is hidden behind it and if anyone has a part number for it. If there is empty or mostly open space behind it, it might be a good spot to locate additional electronic equipment (DC to DC charger, Inverter) or other things such as the jack. The car in this picture is a left hand drive 110 model, and I believe it is a US spec.

Thanks for any clarification or help.

Alberto

Old 12-14-2022, 04:21 AM
Winching
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

That is the OEM air compressor. It can be ordered with the vehicle or installed afterwards as an accessory. The part number is VPLES0617, and you cannot store anything behind it.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wcc18999
That is the OEM air compressor. It can be ordered with the vehicle or installed afterwards as an accessory. The part number is VPLES0617, and you cannot store anything behind it.
Thank you. I am talking about the large box circled in blue. The compressor lives in the smaller box to the left. I have seen a number of cars with and without built in compressors that do not have this larger box.

The mystery continues.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:35 AM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought that was associated with the optional loadspace A/C.

And is that a Goose Gear floorboard? That is awesome.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I either forgot about the Goose Gear floorboard or that's something new to me! Either way, it was very interesting. For those who want to, this will save a Google (Link). @AAJR - Can you describe it a bit more for the Defender community. Would love pics of what it looks like in the ports/access points. I get that it makes everything flat when the seats are down. I'm vaguely thinking of doing what someone else did (forgot the name!) on their 90 and just remove the rear seats in my 110. I never drive it with a pile of people. Mainly overlanding and would like to see what the flat space would look like. Without the seats, may put storage there to maintain the flat and like this idea for access. Does the Goose Gear cover the existing styrofoam storage or does it actually have it's own storage/box below it?

Any details would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bnoonan

Could be for the air con. I'll each to see if there is a correlation. Thanks for that.

If you search Goose Gear, it'll come up. They make sliders and boxes and they use this platform to support it. Not cheap, but appears to be well done.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I either forgot about the Goose Gear floorboard or that's something new to me! Either way, it was very interesting. For those who want to, this will save a Google (Link). @AAJR - Can you describe it a bit more for the Defender community. Would love pics of what it looks like in the ports/access points. I get that it makes everything flat when the seats are down. I'm vaguely thinking of doing what someone else did (forgot the name!) on their 90 and just remove the rear seats in my 110. I never drive it with a pile of people. Mainly overlanding and would like to see what the flat space would look like. Without the seats, may put storage there to maintain the flat and like this idea for access. Does the Goose Gear cover the existing styrofoam storage or does it actually have it's own storage/box below it?

Any details would be appreciated.
Sorry Grouse, would gladly help if I could, but other than what's on the internet, I do not know anything about it. The picture I posted is from the Internet, not my car. Agree that it's an interesting piece.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

The “hump” thing you’re referring to is if you got the 3 zone climate with rear cooling assist. The rear cooling assist is controlled in the climate section of Pivi (has a graphic of a puppy-looking animal for the far rear section).

I’d show you a picture of the Pivi section but my Defender is on a truck from my dealer in AZ to home in WA…

Old 12-14-2022, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bnoonan

Originally Posted by Matty79
The “hump” thing you’re referring to is if you got the 3 zone climate with rear cooling assist. The rear cooling assist is controlled in the climate section of Pivi (has a graphic of a puppy-looking animal for the far rear section).

I’d show you a picture of the Pivi section but my Defender is on a truck from my dealer in AZ to home in WA…
Looks like you guys are right. Thank you!

Old 12-14-2022, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I've looked all over for the part number for the panel that has the rear cooling assist hump. Anyone have a lead by chance?