Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and some questions before ordering

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,401 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Introduction and some questions before ordering

Hi -- I'm in Atlanta and planning to order a 110 this spring. I have a few questions I can't figure out from the online configurator, and my salesman isn't up to speed and knows less than I do apparently.

Background -- I am an avid offroader with a built 2-door Rubicon that I drive out to Utah every spring for 2-3 weeks of offroading and rock crawling. The 2000-mile-one-way drive out is grueling and I'm looking to move over to something that will give me great road manners but still get me to 80-90% of the Jeep's capability in the rocks. I've test driven the 110 and really like it. Planning to order one after I get back from Utah in April.

So questions:

1) I am in love with the Pangea Green 110 with white 18" wheels and white roof. There is one at my dealer, with 4-cylinder. I want I6. The configurator doesn't seem to allow you to build that model with the I-6 (all wheel choices are 19 - 22") Does anyone know of a way to have a 110 built with I6 and 18" steelies? Or any other workaround?

2) If actual dirty/scratchy/rocky use is intended, what are the packages and stand-alone options that are desirable? Some are obvious, but usually Forum regulars on any subject know some "must haves" that may not be obvious. For instance, I see mention of LR packaging a Warn Zeon 10S in the front bumper (the winch I use on my Jeep.) That sounds great, but doesn't seem to appear on the configurator. How do you get that?

That's all for now -- sure there will be more later.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hi -- I'm in Atlanta and planning to order a 110 this spring. I have a few questions I can't figure out from the online configurator, and my salesman isn't up to speed and knows less than I do apparently.

Background -- I am an avid offroader with a built 2-door Rubicon that I drive out to Utah every spring for 2-3 weeks of offroading and rock crawling. The 2000-mile-one-way drive out is grueling and I'm looking to move over to something that will give me great road manners but still get me to 80-90% of the Jeep's capability in the rocks. I've test driven the 110 and really like it. Planning to order one after I get back from Utah in April.

So questions:

1) I am in love with the Pangea Green 110 with white 18" wheels and white roof. There is one at my dealer, with 4-cylinder. I want I6. The configurator doesn't seem to allow you to build that model with the I-6 (all wheel choices are 19 - 22") Does anyone know of a way to have a 110 built with I6 and 18" steelies? Or any other workaround?

2) If actual dirty/scratchy/rocky use is intended, what are the packages and stand-alone options that are desirable? Some are obvious, but usually Forum regulars on any subject know some "must haves" that may not be obvious. For instance, I see mention of LR packaging a Warn Zeon 10S in the front bumper (the winch I use on my Jeep.) That sounds great, but doesn't seem to appear on the configurator. How do you get that?

Thanks!
18" on the I6 requires a brake swap; the bigger, heavier, more powerful car comes with bigger, heavier, more powerful brakes that won't fit in an 18" wheel. There's a few on-line resources about the swap (Lucky8, I believe).

Personally -- I went with the smaller engine. I'm not a huge off-roader yet, though, so we'll see if I regret that choice. Driving it it seemed to have more than enough stonk for me.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by expatbrit
18" on the I6 requires a brake swap; the bigger, heavier, more powerful car comes with bigger, heavier, more powerful brakes that won't fit in an 18" wheel. There's a few on-line resources about the swap (Lucky8, I believe).

Personally -- I went with the smaller engine. I'm not a huge off-roader yet, though, so we'll see if I regret that choice. Driving it it seemed to have more than enough stonk for me.
Okay, the larger brakes part makes sense. Thanks!

I prolly should have tested the I4T version they had at my dealer this morning, but I had already decided on the I6. I'll probably still go that route, given the fact that motor trumps aesthetics. But I sure love the retro classic look. I run 16" steelies on my Jeep.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-11-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I wanted to go with the p300 as I liked the utilitarian look with the 18 inch steelies and the more retro vibe it gave me vs the higher end luxury range rover ish vibe the higher end sub models give. I test drove both p300 and p400. My first impression was that the p300 drove more like a pickup than I was expecting. When I returned to the dealer the first thing they said was "Doesn't feel like a truck eh", which I couldn't honestly answer yes. When I drove the p400 it felt like a performance suv and not a 4x4.

I ordered a higher model p400 as it seemed more justified for the overall price point. People seem to be happy on both sides of the spectrum, so its probably right to size into what fits your expectation for the overall experience. I plan to use my vehicle for more everyday driving and occasional off road use. Some of this buy is hoping to open up more opportunities for off-road experiences.

I am buying the front under shield as it exposes the front recovery hook permanently (elsewhere its covered by the bumper and I am told hard to remove without breaking the clips that hold it in place). I believe you can order the winch from JLR, but you are right its not listed on the online configurator. From my observations, the install is quite labor intensive, and most dealers dont have much experience with installing them. Powerfuluk has several youtube videos (it took so long they had to break it up into a multi segment video) for the install on their defender.

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

So questions:

Thanks!
Both versions result in a vehicle which is pleasant to drive long distances. Both engines make people happy, but for different reasons. Selecting different engines (P300 or P400) really enables the same chassis to become two different vehicles. It is a critical choice. If you scan the threads on the site, you will see three or four that go into depth on this topic.

The P300 drivetrain is by all accounts unusually smooth, surprisingly powerful, and with a very flat torque curve it is easy to drive off-road. But, folks are rightly hesitant to desire to tow more than 4000 lbs or so (even though both vehicles are rated above 7500 lbs), nor daily climb mountain roads nor daily drive 85 mph on some of our packed interstates (I5, I95, etc). Those who opted for the P300 have a shorter path to small wheel sizes and the buyers really appreciate not spending the $10K or so they did not spend to get the larger motor.

No one with the P300 has expressed the belief they have a high-performance, on-road SUV. The power of the P400 enables those buyers to realistically compare and enjoy their purchases as replacements of German, hi-performance, on-road SUVs -- and to have really good (better) off-road capability, as well. Some will tow 7000 lbs. and some commute daily on very fast interstates in traffic, using the acceleration the P400 provides. All are willing to pay the extra $10K to possess one or more of these three attributes.

As for accessories for off-road, the list of items with ready availability is short and folks are waiting for JLR and the Aftermarket folks to catch up with necessary off-road additions. They are working on it. The demand is outstripping the supply. Several (10ish) very good threads exist on this site which will allow you to learn more of what is occurring in the off-road accessorizing world .....

Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
As for accessories for off-road, the list of items with ready availability is short and folks are waiting for JLR and the Aftermarket folks to catch up with necessary off-road additions. They are working on it. The demand is outstripping the supply. Several (10ish) very good threads exist on this site which will allow you to learn more of what is occurring in the off-road accessorizing world .....

Enjoy !
Are you speaking of aftermarket/after-purchase accessories? I haven't looked into that at this point -- just trying to get a feel for any option boxes that are available from JLR in the configurator that are must-haves.

Thanks!

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-11-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Both.

Demand is outstripping supply for the JLR parts, too -- front under shield, winch, & winch tray are the items which are most notable. To date, there is no other source of supply for these three critical items.

JLR originally limited the supply of these items to large, visible cities in the U.S. (LA was treated much better than elsewhere -- so you will see some good info and photos to help learn what JLR is offering), to Australia and to the U.K. Now, those three items subjectively seem to be unavailable nearly everywhere. Hopefully, the solving of COVID will help open up supply of the vehicle and its accessories.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 02-11-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a P300 with just heated manual seats, both offroad packs, tow pack, no sunroof and steelies. I love it and already have taken it offroad. I didn't want the added electronic complexity of the hybrid engine for offroading and I feel the P300 has more engine than the V8 in my LR3. Obviously isn't like my supercharged L322 at 508hp, but I dont need that on the trail. It will never be a rock crawler so huge power isn't required on the trail. I just ordered up some mud terrain tires as I have already blown 2 tires, one on the trail and one on the street.

Accessories are tough. I ordered mine over a month ago. Lucky8 is making a hidden winch mount while the factory mount is nice but $4700.

The OE expedition rack is nice but I went with the Front Runner full length rack. Requires a more extensive install as the factory rails come off. Without the factory rails, no OE ladder or lunch box. Lucky8 just came out with a nice rear ladder that I'm going to purchase.

I have a roof top tent and awning on mine.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I sourced the winch tray from LR, purchased the same Warn winch elsewhere for half the price. Doing the installation I discovered that the winch sold by LR includes additional items. A fusible link, a harness that runs a wire to the fusebox disabling power to the winch when starting, and it comes pre-spooled. I purchased the fusible link fairly inexpensively, my winch always has power to it (no real way to shut it off as the power switch on the winch is not reachable once installed) and I had to spool the line myself. There are a lot of sources for a Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum winch, and it's an awesome winch, but you need to decide if the extra bits LR provides are important. It will look much better and be better protected if you get the LR front under-shield. I did not, and once I installed the winch I wished I had.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DonMitsu
I sourced the winch tray from LR, purchased the same Warn winch elsewhere for half the price. Doing the installation I discovered that the winch sold by LR includes additional items. A fusible link, a harness that runs a wire to the fusebox disabling power to the winch when starting, and it comes pre-spooled. I purchased the fusible link fairly inexpensively, my winch always has power to it (no real way to shut it off as the power switch on the winch is not reachable once installed) and I had to spool the line myself. There are a lot of sources for a Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum winch, and it's an awesome winch, but you need to decide if the extra bits LR provides are important. It will look much better and be better protected if you get the LR front under-shield. I did not, and once I installed the winch I wished I had.
Good info, thanks! Yeah, I have the Zeon 10S on my Jeep and it's the best winch I've ever had, by a good margin. Pretty easy install, given the easy-to-access aftermarket bumper. But the Defender looks like a bear to install. But $4700 for the winch and tray? Did I read that right??? I think I paid $1200 for the winch. Must be a mighty fancy tray.

Quick Reply: Introduction and some questions before ordering