Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which iphone app to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:16 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which iphone app to use?

in keeping with the overall software experience (), i'm not even sure which iphone app to use with my 2021 Defender. I'm sure this is a dupe post, but its a hard set of keywords to search for.

Do i want:
  • Land Rover Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Apps
  • Land Rover Route Planner (why on earth is this a separate app??)
  • Land Rover Comfort Controller (???)
  • Land Rover Dashcam (seriously?)
Both "Remote" apps seem to connect. One has a cleaner, more modern UI than the other. Like everyone else, I've found that getting a feature like remote start or locking to work is a crapshoot

Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Totally agree! After downloading every Land Rover app when I got mine, I now only use one. It's very confusing between them. The one I use shows the Land Rover green oval on a white background on the top and "REMOTE" on the bottom. It does the same as the Black / Dark background version but I like the UX better.

The DashCam is a LOT better if you actually have the dashcam installed. Then you can remote/wifi watch the videos.

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

This is the one my dealer said is current and it's been rock-solid. Never any issues with it. Same as the one @GrouseK9 just mentioned.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by imfletcher
in keeping with the overall software experience (), i'm not even sure which iphone app to use with my 2021 Defender. I'm sure this is a dupe post, but its a hard set of keywords to search for.

Do i want:
  • Land Rover Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Apps
  • Land Rover Route Planner (why on earth is this a separate app??)
  • Land Rover Comfort Controller (???)
  • Land Rover Dashcam (seriously?)
Both "Remote" apps seem to connect. One has a cleaner, more modern UI than the other. Like everyone else, I've found that getting a feature like remote start or locking to work is a crapshoot
I have been down that same path and found that the first one in your list, ‘Land Rover Remote’ is the preferred one over ‘Land Rover InControl Remote’ due to some updates and tweaks. InControl Apps is for adding third party apps, such as Spotify, AccuWeather and others. The Comfort Controller only works with vehicles that are equipped with rear Executive Class seating features. The dash cam app only works with Land Rovers OEM dash cam. I’ve just added two Garmin Mini 2 dash cams, one front and one rear, the Garmin Drive app handles up to four cameras, recording and storing vids from them all for viewing or uploading to your phone or PC. I use my Remote app to start my car on hot days and select a temperature, start it remotely and get into a nice cool, or heated if you prefer, vehicle. Anyway, I do t know if you are familiar with PowerfulUK; they develop and sell aftermarket accessories and they have a whole series of videos on YouTube. There is one specifically on the InControl apps. Search YouTube for that vid and watch it. It’s very informative.

GrouseK9 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

• Land Rover Remote Legacy App for older InControl equipped cars
  • Land Rover InControl Remote This is all you really need.
  • Land Rover InControl Apps I think this is redundant (and probably does not work with Pivi Pro) now that you have CarPlay/Andoid Auto
  • Land Rover Route Planner (why on earth is this a separate app??) This was for the older InControl nav. I don't know if it works with the Pivi Pro system--I would be too scared to reinstall is as it might break the newer app!
  • Land Rover Comfort Controller (???) This is for the top of the range Range Rover when you have the Executive Class seating.
  • Land Rover Dashcam (seriously?) You only need this with the LR dashcam
That's the one you want.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
GrouseK9 (01-10-2022), Mechano2020 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:05 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
  • Land Rover Remote Legacy App for older InControl equipped cars
  • Land Rover InControl Remote This is all you really need.
  • Land Rover InControl Apps I think this is redundant (and probably does not work with Pivi Pro) now that you have CarPlay/Andoid Auto
  • Land Rover Route Planner (why on earth is this a separate app??) This was for the older InControl nav. I don't know if it works with the Pivi Pro system--I would be too scared to reinstall is as it might break the newer app!
  • Land Rover Comfort Controller (???) This is for the top of the range Range Rover when you have the Executive Class seating.
  • Land Rover Dashcam (seriously?) You only need this with the LR dashcam
That's the one you want.
Just did some additional research on the two Remote apps. The ‘LAND ROVER REMOTE’ app, icon has a white top half with Land Rover logo is the latest. Read ‘Version history’, and you’ll see it was last updated 3 weeks ago. The other, ‘LAND ROVER INCONTROL REMOTE’ was last updated one year ago. This is the older, more buggy version, from watching PowerfulUK’s videos. Choose wisely, but mine works well. Good luck.

GrouseK9 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts
Old 01-10-2022, 11:30 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone! i think my delivery person steered me wrong.

also interesting that the older Remote app (dark icon) has Apple Watch support but the newer (white icon) doesn't.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by imfletcher
thanks everyone! i think my delivery person steered me wrong.

also interesting that the older Remote app (dark icon) has Apple Watch support but the newer (white icon) doesn't.
The older app still works. I have both.

Also, you should download iGuide if you haven't already done so. iGuide lets you download the user manual for your vehicle/year, it's searchable and useful.

Last edited by swajames; 01-10-2022 at 11:36 AM.
GrouseK9 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

So interesting. I have apparently been using the old Remote App, so now I've gotten the new one that was updated on Dec 21, 2021. Yep, better interface.

Quick Reply: which iphone app to use?