Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which iphone app to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by imfletcher
thanks everyone! i think my delivery person steered me wrong.

also interesting that the older Remote app (dark icon) has Apple Watch support but the newer (white icon) doesn't.
I had originally went with the older, black icon version for its compatibility with my Apple Watch, until I watched PowerfulUK’s video, and read other comments about the app either crashing or not responding. When I set up my vehicle upon delivery, I was in touch with the dealerships ‘technology concierge’ and while running through all the steps for setting up my InControl account, connectivity settings and Remote app, she advised me to delete the older version, and replace it with the newer one. The older one works still, but it seems the developer is not actively updating it, and it will only be a matter of time before it is obsolete.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:14 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be confusing when multiple apps are available for the same purpose. Based on my research, Land Rover Remote and Land Rover InControl Remote are the two main apps for your 2021 Defender. Land Rover InControl Remote is the newer and more modern version, so I suggest trying that one first. As for the other apps you mentioned, they are more specialized and focused on specific features such as route planning and comfort control.
I hope this helps! Let us know which app you use and how it works for you.
BTW, if you want to learn more about mobile apps and technology, check out smartengines.com/. They have a lot of informative articles and resources on the subject.

Last edited by Mixoponev; 03-13-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I swear there is a requirement in the car industry to hire the worst application developers on the planet. Crazy that there are so many options.

I use this one: Land Rover Remote on the App Store (apple.com)

"Use" being a limited word. Mostly I get a notification when it's not locked when I park it in the garage. I think I used the remote start once, and it worked. I don't daily drive the Defender so that's about it. The few times I've tried it I haven't had any issues with the feature I was trying to use. Of the four cars I've owned recently it's about 'above average' in usefulness. Of the four or five apps for cars I've used, theirs so far has been the most stable but again I don't use it much. Its been pretty stable for me since october, but again I'm not in the app every day.

I must complain about VW though because I've yet to find a use for their app, doesn't unlock the car, won't remote start it, makes you log in all the dang time, and then on top of that makes you create a pin to actually see the car after you've logged in, only to log you out and be very password manager (1password) unfriendly because their login method is a field a screen so email -> submit -> password -> submit -> select a car -> submit -> oh you must enter a pin -> submit -> oh do you want to use faceid next time submit -> then shows you a few things about the car and nothing else, except for an alert that you need to subscribe to sirius.

Then it forgets all that and makes you log in again :|

Tesla's app was great, i could open / close windows, doors, trunks, start the car (I had a Model X, so it had an actual key fob) which is great when say you're in the garage and need to move a car real quick but don't have your keys. Chevy's app for the Bolt was ok, but it looked like a senior class project as the UI / UX in it was boring. Near the end of my ownership you could actually remotely view the cameras on it. That was a nice feature.

The only thing I miss in my Defender is walk away locking. I got too used to that, and have left my car unlocked on accident for a bit a few times now.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Default This is what I use

Originally Posted by imfletcher
in keeping with the overall software experience (), i'm not even sure which iphone app to use with my 2021 Defender. I'm sure this is a dupe post, but its a hard set of keywords to search for.

Do i want:
  • Land Rover Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Remote
  • Land Rover InControl Apps
  • Land Rover Route Planner (why on earth is this a separate app??)
  • Land Rover Comfort Controller (???)
  • Land Rover Dashcam (seriously?)
Both "Remote" apps seem to connect. One has a cleaner, more modern UI than the other. Like everyone else, I've found that getting a feature like remote start or locking to work is a crapshoot

Old 03-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Remote as mentioned by WTFChuck, all the features work well, BUT I've not been able to get the 'Guardian', nor 'Vehicle Lock Reminder' to work.