2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with EZ Pass! (Electronic Actuating Cards)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbote
Does having it mounted on the sunroof work on the non-express lanes where you still have to wait for the gate to open. Those cameras/readers are not above the car in this case and not sure how it would pick it up with the transponder being on the sunroof.
Yes it works.

Probably because this is a radio frequency ID, so it doesn't require line of sight, just lack of interference.

Something about the windshield interferes, but the sunroof and surrounding roof does not.

At least we've not had a single problem in the months since we moved it there.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:03 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We have issues too.

We have the transponder on the drivers side where there appears to be a clear opening, but still dose t work most of the time for tolls with the gates that need to be activated. (We have tried the passenger side as well)

Old 01-21-2022, 08:40 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone tried attaching it to the front edge of the sunroof? I’ve held mine there a couple of times and it appears to work.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive with my head out the sunroof now so I don't have to look though all the wires and filmy mess stuck on the windshield.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ti-Tim:
WeinerDogFrank (10-30-2023), XCELLER8 (02-28-2023)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ti-Tim
I drive with my head out the sunroof now so I don't have to look though all the wires and filmy mess stuck on the windshield.
In the more than 14 months I've owned my Defender and the nearly two years we've had the iPace, it only recently got cold enough to automatically engage the heated windshield, or maybe I've only just noticed how it creates a shimmer effect when it is on. I find frosted-over windshields less distracting! No wonder these things cost so much to replace!

Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
Has anyone tried attaching it to the front edge of the sunroof? I’ve held mine there a couple of times and it appears to work.
Yep, I’ve mounted it there and it works perfectly.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mount EZ Pass Flex in your windshield dotted area (if you model has it), the dots highlight the non-heated portion of the windshield. I had problems with mine that finally found the sweet spt.

Old 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I have the same EZ Pass mounted in the same location and it works 100% of the time. Maybe the battery is getting old on yours?

Old 03-01-2023, 07:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

I've mounted my ez-pass just like John Natsis did and have had mixed results. There are several tolls in the Richmond VA area that simply cannot register my pass. When passing through those tolls, I've taken to holding the pass outside the window. Note, if trying this, you need to get the pass out there before entering the lane. Once up next to the gate, you've passed the reader. I've spoken to the ez-pass folks and they insist that though a set of gates consistently fail to read while other gates consistently work is no indication that there's anything wrong with those Richmond tolls. Their solution is to get a license plate mounted transponder. When pointed out that would prevent me from getting free access to the HOV toll lanes, they basically said it was a personal problem, not theirs. Oh well - I just end up paying toll-by-plate wherever the transponder can't be read.

Old 03-01-2023, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Yep, I’ve mounted it there and it works perfectly.
I have this issue also with NY tolls - do you have a pic of how / where you mounted it?

Quick Reply: Issues with EZ Pass! (Electronic Actuating Cards)