2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just joined the waitlist for a 2023 MY Defender! (a couple of questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just joined the waitlist for a 2023 MY Defender! (a couple of questions)

Hey everyone,

I just joined the Defender waitlist for a MY 2023 Defender at my local dealership and was told I should take delivery around June 2022.

My build code: https://build.landrover/2DA8B265

I'm excited to join the club and just have a couple of questions:

(1) Does anyone recommend getting a paint protective film installed at a local installer? I wasn't sure if these cars were prone to rock chip damage on the hood and whether it was worth it to protect the front with a PPF.
(2) Does anyone have experience with either the LR OEM or Weathertech all-weather mats? I wasn't sure if one was better than the other. The weathertech mats are slightly cheaper.
(3) My dealership recommended the cold climate pack because he feels that the heated windshield is a game changer since it can defrost ice in about 2 minutes. Just curious if (A) the filament wires are distracting and (B) what happens if you have to replace your windshield for any reason. I assume you would have to order a more expensive windshield from LR so I'm sorry if that's the obvious solution.

Thanks everyone!

Josh

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (11-12-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
(2) Does anyone have experience with either the LR OEM or Weathertech all-weather mats? I wasn't sure if one was better than the other. The weathertech mats are slightly cheaper.
Congrats. Looks like a nice truck.

I've had 3 Weathertech products. SUV rear liners. They slide around a lot and all ended up curling on the edges. Also never liked their obnoxious logos. Personal preference.

Ordered this yesterday from Land Rover Darien with $30-something for shipping.

JoshuaKM1 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I do notice the filaments in the windshield, especially at night with oncoming lights. But my wife doesn’t. So must depend on the individual.

I also have had to replace the windshield. My insurance covered the cost at the same rate as my old car’s basic windshield. So it just depends on your insurance. It took about 4 weeks to get my replacement.

JoshuaKM1 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Hey everyone,

I just joined the Defender waitlist for a MY 2023 Defender at my local dealership and was told I should take delivery around June 2022.

My build code: https://build.landrover/2DA8B265

I'm excited to join the club and just have a couple of questions:

(1) Does anyone recommend getting a paint protective film installed at a local installer? I wasn't sure if these cars were prone to rock chip damage on the hood and whether it was worth it to protect the front with a PPF.
(3) My dealership recommended the cold climate pack because he feels that the heated windshield is a game changer since it can defrost ice in about 2 minutes. Just curious if (A) the filament wires are distracting and (B) what happens if you have to replace your windshield for any reason. I assume you would have to order a more expensive windshield from LR so I'm sorry if that's the obvious solution.

Thanks everyone!

Josh
1. The LR film seems to be of poor quality based on the trucks Ive seen

2. I have the OEM mats, and the major difference is that the second row is in 3 pieces for the OEM mats, and 1-2 for the Weather tech. I personally like the little silver LR badge on the OEM mats. Plus as an accessory pack, can be added to the initial MSRP and thus part of a lease or finance.

3. I found the heated windshield filament lines to be too distracting. Furthermore, I was worried that those lines would make replacement costs signifcantly higher. The Defender seems to have some issues with the windshields spontaneously cracking, so it isnt theoretical.

JoshuaKM1 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great! Welcome to the club!

Where are you based? I’m in PA and the heated windshield is a no brainer once the ice starts. I’ve had it for about 10 years in my prior RRS and now Defender 110. It’s extremely effective and so so efficient and probably a good safety feature if you deal with ice and snow.

That said, it’s noticeable, and if you’re trying to take a photo (my wife likes to snap shots from the front passenger side) it’ll depreciate the quality of the shot so you’ll need to use the side windows.

JoshuaKM1 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

1. Not a film fan, but I recall many threads where they prefer after receiving. Dealer is crazy expensive and not good quality. YMMV.
2. I went with WeatherTec and LOVED them for the front seats and 2d row. The rear / boot area I was unhappy with them for a long time. The lightweight quality just seemed cheesy and slipped around a lot. Loved that they went up higher to capture fluids, but at the end of the day I switched them for OEM and don't regret it. So, if I did it again: 1st/2d rows go with weathertec and boot/storage go with JLR.
3. Regrets: live in Texas and don't care.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Dndicicco - I live in Nashville, TN where we usually have relatively mild winters but every now and then we do get ice (but it's a rare event in general). I love the idea of a heated steering wheel for the winter season but I'm starting to think that the wires could be annoying.... thanks for the advice!

Old 11-07-2021, 07:46 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

1. I used xpel on the front face on my 110X and 2013 L320 and it has worked fine on my 2015 Escalade platinum which makes it look like new even if I have 270k miles on it.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:48 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I told my dealer that I wanted the LR mats fur the weather tech price and he matched it. I had the 3M film installed by the dealer and it looks great. Yes, I do see the filaments at night but it didn't bother me.

JoshuaKM1 (11-08-2021)